Race control radio frequency?

Does Champcar have a race control radio frequency? I've raced in other series where race control broadcasts out race information like "Black flag Car #245" and " yellow flag turn 7"..

Does this exist and I just can't find that info anywhere?  If not what are thoughts on implementing this? 

Thanks 

-Sam 

• Administrators

we do not publish that. we tried doing some texting options but that didn't work out very well. so no we don't have any communications from the tower to the pit Lane sorry. and nothing is planned for the immediate future. we do have flagtronics though

18 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

we do not publish that. we tried doing some texting options but that didn't work out very well. so no we don't have any communications from the tower to the pit Lane sorry. and nothing is planned for the immediate future. we do have flagtronics though

Maybe you should consider it? Flagtronics is fine but its not without its limitations and texting is less than optimal. Everyone has radios and during a race at least one crew member always has a radio headset on. Hearing race control directly could be very helpful and require minimal effort on the part of champcar. 

-Sam 3

51 minutes ago, roadracer4life said:

Maybe you should consider it? Flagtronics is fine but its not without its limitations and texting is less than optimal. Everyone has radios and during a race at least one crew member always has a radio headset on. Hearing race control directly could be very helpful and require minimal effort on the part of champcar. 

-Sam 3

The issue is that all it takes for the race control channel to go down is 1 person with a partially plugged in headset.  Yes, if your radio scans to listen, then it is great.  Otherwise, huge problem for race control.  

39 minutes ago, jmabarone said:

The issue is that all it takes for the race control channel to go down is 1 person with a partially plugged in headset.  Yes, if your radio scans to listen, then it is great.  Otherwise, huge problem for race control.  

You could easily setup a duplicate "Broadcast only" frequency and keep the actual race control frequency private. That way if someone screwed up and started broadcasting on the "Broadcast only" frequency it would not affect race control. 

25 minutes ago, Grufton said:

Not true

Ok all of the competitive teams have radios. 

• Confused 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

Does everyone have a cell phone at this point?  I think a text messaging process to all teams would be better than having to listen to two radio channels at once, plus it would stay on your phone after the message was over.  

Particularly at Daytona I had a hard time hearing the PA announcements at times to know what was going on.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Chris Huggins said:

Does everyone have a cell phone at this point?  I think a text messaging process to all teams would be better than having to listen to two radio channels at once, plus it would stay on your phone after the message was over.  

Particularly at Daytona I had a hard time hearing the PA announcements at times to know what was going on.

LD uses a Cellphone notification system. 

• Like 1

Champcar USED TO publish this info and it WAS available to teams to listen in to race control.

That was when they we using a system from our old comms sponsor, Sampson Racing Communications - who btw, still offer discounts to CC teams.

When our current comms sponsor came on board, the system now being used does not lend itself well to "outsiders listening in."

This was the info given to us 3-5 years ago when the change ws made and radio comms with race control became unavailable.

Edited by mcoppola

As ChampCar does not supply the corner marshalls I would venture to guess the frequencies may vary depending on the track. You may be able to Google the specific track's corner worker radio frequencies. From experience, they don't vary much track to track, especially those within the same regiion. I used to scan them a lot, but have really lost interest in listening the past few years so I do not think I even have them written down anywhere anymore. Since the SCCA has done the bulk of this infrastructure work over the years I would start with searching their supplementals for radio frequencies, as they do publish them to make sure you stay away.

Listening to the  corner marshalls  is going to tell you track conditions and what is going on in close to real time. 

Also since ChampCar does not provide the corner marshalls, there is little reason to listen to actual ChampCar radio chatter, as it is probably a lot of administrative stuff and not really about what is happening on the the track. Having said that, if you really wanted to listen to ChampCar I would guess the frequency is somewhere in here:

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseFreqSum.jsp;JSESSIONID_ULSSEARCH=SQlQvPkTmQ1C1PPRLrTGJQ2nLJB0kdPxgp3n13Gz4VTPTWBtwh5G!-2089518307!-116304143?licKey=1785227

Just is going to take a lot of work to find out which one(s) they use.

22 minutes ago, Throoster said:

As ChampCar does not supply the corner marshals I would venture to guess the frequencies may vary

I believe they do supply the marshal posts. The last time I worked corners at CCES, they had some really bitchin' digital radios. I don't know anything about radios, but I think the digital part is what keeps you from hearing them these days.

40 minutes ago, tommytipover said:

I believe they do supply the marshal posts. The last time I worked corners at CCES, they had some really bitchin' digital radios. I don't know anything about radios, but I think the digital part is what keeps you from hearing them these days.

Champcar does not supply the corner workers or corner worker radios.

The volunteer and employee radios are now digital so no listening in.  There wasn't anything to hear anyway, mostly just people asking for Dana or Chelsey

• Administrators

Usually the ChampCar conversations go like this...

"WTF is Bill and why is he in there?"

The only track we supply radios is Harris Hill. 

But, all the radios are digital. Can you scan them? I don't know. 

I will say I have been the guy that has tried to implement some sort of digital coms to the racers. But the big issue is that we just don't have the staff to do that kind of stuff. And we have a rule, if we do anything, it has to be done at all events.  I like the text way, or even Race Monitor. Which I will try to work on for Road Am this weekend. 
Stay tuned

• Haha 1

IIRC, the digital comms CCES uses are also "encrypted" with a key code to keep people from listening in, so yeah don't believe there's any way to scan for their frequency. The benefit, though, is that it allows use of the same channels/frequencies by multiple radios without talking over one another. Similar to FRS/GMRS squelch frequencies, just more secure. 

Flagtronics only helps tower to driver communications. There still a lack of communication from the tower to the pits. I have to believe every team sitting in their tents on pit road would appreciate a reliable and consistent notification system that allows them to at least know what's going on out on track, be it black flags or yellows. Might also help drivers that have radio comms to their pit know to expect local yellows ahead and not be in a position where they could get flagged for a PUY. 

• Like 1

Sounds like something that would be a good addition to flagtronics.   If you could setup an app that you can log into with a mobile device and see the status of the unit.  

Does the local yellow work based solely off of the corner worker input?  Does race control get to see when a station has a local yellow out?

9 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

OK guys.
I will feed you info via RaceMonitor this weekend at Road America to test this system. 

I have no idea how that system works, but I know it does.  A SCCA divisional race I was in last fall did it.

4 hours ago, TouchStone said:

If I have a second flagtronics device can it be registered to the same car? Then we could keep the 2nd one in the pits. 

Even if that was possible, not sure it would do more then show full course flags as they are GPS/location based to indicate local conditions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Just log into Race Monitor on your phone, tablet, large screen TV, 13" RCA XL100, and the instructions say that you will see the notifications.

This isn't the same as hearing the corner station call into control that there is an incident and you get to hear it live without any edits.

From the sounds of it, there is little worry that race control frequency would get stepped on (in 25 years of racing I've only seen this happen once and it was quickly resolved).  Pretty confident that all people are asking for is to monitor race control.

• Like 1

Bill,  you can scan digital, just need a newer scanner that is digital enabled.  While we are on digital, just because it is newer doesn't mean it is better. As all things digital, it is either on or off. With an analog radio as the signal gets worse you get static, but you still get the signal until you are out of range. It may be hard to hear but it is there. WIth digital you just don't get the signal, even if you are in range. Whole parts of the conversation will drop off, and those on the fringe that you do get are very modulated. Most users at agencies that I work with have not liked this transition. We have all experienced this, think back to when cell phones went from analog to digital did your reception or service area change? 

The push for digital radios is not for better communication, but rather to increase usable frequencies, as there is less bleed over to neighboring frequencies. This allows a smaller offset between frequecies. I am guessing that the switch to digital screwed a lot of people up. Their two year old analog scanner suddenly stopped working even though they have the right frequencies programed. Not realizing that there was a change in technology everyone assumes that the club changed something else to prevent people from listening.

As far as encryption goes, I would have a hard time believeing they go through that trouble. Maybe Racing Radios is using it to showcase technology, but it seems unnecessary.

@freshmaker_phd ..."The benefit, though, is that it allows use of the same channels/frequencies by multiple radios without talking over one another. "...PL codes are what do this not encryption, as far as I know.  Encyption prevents you from listening without the right key, but I do not think  it allows multiplexing over the same frequencies without using other tricks of the trade. You also do not need the PL code to scan, in fact I can't think of a scanner that I have that allows you to enter it. You just will hear everyone in the area your scanner can pick up running that frequency. Sometimes that can be a surprising far radius. My newest scanner is 15ish years old, my oldest is 30+. The last ten years or so I have had access to reprogram my two way radios to listen to what ever I want so I stopped updating my scanners, but I have never tried with ChampCar.  I may have to udate my scanner to check my hypothisis out. Takes way longer to reprogram my radio and then change it back to try. Or if someone is really interested they could call Racing Radios and just ask. I am not that interested.

I am still frim in my belief that we do not have to monitor ChampCar's radios, except maybe at Harris Hill I guess. The corner marshalls are what you want to listen to. I will bet that the corner marshalls are using the SCCA's equipment , or at least compatable equipment, at almost every track we go to. They publish thier frequencies so it should not be hard to find them for the track you want. The ones owned by Nascar may use Nascar frequencies but those are readily available. With new digital scanners this would be easy. The rare track that uses wired comms or apparently Harris Hill maybe more difficult, if not impossible.

Edited by Throoster
country grammer...