Sunday Image dump - https://photos.app.goo.gl/JLFmuHk5KoZmkgqU8

Awards - https://photos.app.goo.gl/E9wdFBZULqmWV4Qj7

Facebook is @cttpsto

chadkroening726@msn.com

Saturday:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EWs4sxJAdZ5aQdAL9

Sunday:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NbhFmfZy85512HJL6

We've had more successful weekends and failed to take the checker on either day despite having top 3 pace. I'll start with a video clip that initiated our problems. My 2nd and most major contact in 8 years. Occurred during stint 2 on Saturday while we were running 2nd (or 3rd?) and was substantial enough to rattle the engine against the firewall, pinching and damaging an electrical connector. That connector failed 2 laps later and the ECU went to limp mode and we took an hour to rig a quick wiring fix. My teammates thought the half lap leading up to the contact was germane to the eventual collision so I included it. I'm interested to see your thoughts.

• Sad 3

Yeah, I mean obviously they fracked up by missing the shift, but I can’t say they did anything terrible.  Right at the beginning of the clip it’s hard to tell if they intentionally cut you off, or just didn’t see you.  

I am however surprised at 2 things.  #1, if that’s the most contact you’ve had in 8 years, damn, keep up the good work.   
#2, that did not seem like a very big hit.  Are you saying that it actually pushed the engine back into the firewall?  If so, how much metal have you cut out of that thing? 

• Like 5

Perhaps I should have added some of my thoughts, I did not want to put my bias on any of your assessments.

1) 'cut off' is wrong. I saw what might have been an opening to pass, the driver moved to the racing line and I aborted the pass. I'll find another way around, he has the right to the racing line. 

2) In several corners (turn 1 in particular) he's a long way off the cornering speed that the car should be capable of. According to at least 1 person who watched the video, this should have clued me in to be extremely careful when passing what was probably a new driver. I couldn't get him on the straights, but certainly running around in him the carousel would be very easy.

3) In turn 5 {contact) I wasn't trying to pass, I was planning to just follow him through when it looked like he missed a shift and I couldn't avoid contact. Do you think you could have avoided that contact? It certainly caught me by surprise! Certainly not intentional, just an error (missed shift), which happens. The car behind me was caught equally unaware by the slowing car as he then hit me, and it was the rear contact which caused more damage.

4) @petawawarace The engine and trans sit on stock e30 rubber mounts and are quite pliable, the engine (swapped) sits very close to the firewall. Nothing bent or permanently moved on the car / frame, it was just a big enough impact to move the engine on the mounts and the engine moved a lot more than we would like. I'll probably hit the firewall back some with a BFH before the next race. 

• Like 4

Seems like they were running away under power, I don't see why he would leave you any more room on the run out of Canada. Unless you had just caught up to him, you both knew that move wouldn't stick. Going two wide through there just slows you both down, so I don't see anything wrong there (from either of you). 

I also agree with the other comments that I don't think he did anything intentional at 5, clearly just made a mistake and left you (and the car behind you) nowhere to go. Poop happens. Bumper to bumper on the slowest part of the track seems like as good a scenario as you could hope for if you are going to have contact. Maybe if you had working ABS it would have helped... :P

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 3

#55 Team Udder Chaos had a great time bringing out our new steed and giving it a go.  We decided to switch from our old low VPI front wheel drive Neon to a 500 point rear wheel drive Lexus IS300 with the hopes of:

- enjoying building a car from scratch (we bought our neon from an old dirt racer)

- gaining reliability and spending more time on the track than in the paddock

- learning new driving skills (rear wheel drive)

- of course we hope to be faster as well (eventually)

We showed up to the snowy Fri track day with zero track experience in the IS300 having just completed the build.  The track conditions on Friday meant we really started Saturday morning with zero dry track experience and it was evident in my first stint Sat lap times.  The car is a lot more fun to drive than the Neon, perhaps that is just because we kept power steering and the new race seat is a nice snug fit.  Eventually we all dialed down our lap times to something we are more used to, still have a ways to go and more to learn.  Thankfully the issues that required more frequent pit stops should be easily solved with a better fuel pickup / surge tank and something as simple as a better charger for our dashboard tablet.

Thanks to all the Road America staff, Champcar staff and volunteers and fellow racers for a great weekend.  It may just been because of the lower car count, but really felt like this was one of the cleaner "on track" events.

Cheers,  Kent

lexus.jpg

• Like 11

On 4/10/2022 at 8:25 PM, enginerd said:

We've had more successful weekends and failed to take the checker on either day despite having top 3 pace. I'll start with a video clip that initiated our problems. My 2nd and most major contact in 8 years. Occurred during stint 2 on Saturday while we were running 2nd (or 3rd?) and was substantial enough to rattle the engine against the firewall, pinching and damaging an electrical connector. That connector failed 2 laps later and the ECU went to limp mode and we took an hour to rig a quick wiring fix. My teammates thought the half lap leading up to the contact was germane to the eventual collision so I included it. I'm interested to see your thoughts.

If I had to guess, it's either a novice, or someone a bit unfamiliar with the car who just got one track.  The car clearly had decent power, just doesn't seem to be getting into the throttle.  The disparity in corner exit speed is pretty big considering It pulled you on the straight.  They didn't just miss a shift in 5, I think they missed it and panicked.  the car was basically stopped when you hit it.  As drivers we rely on other cars to be predictable and slowing to less than double yellow pace at an apex is anything but.

I think you were destined to give them the chrome horn.  The car goes where the eyes go, and if you're any good you were already looking through the apex at corner exit, expecting them to maintain the Pace they had shown over the last half lap.  Sure "maybe" you could have avoided, but if we're really racing, then you're already maximizing what the car can do, and that doesn't leave a lot for evasive maneuvers.

Also, why do you have the little Picture of Andrew's bare backside below the gauge cluster blacked out?  Didn't want to get banned from youtube?

Edited by Ian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:38 AM, ABR-Glen said:

Maybe if you had working ABS it would have helped... :P

If he had ABS, it might have been WORSE, since he thinks the bulk of the damage came from the second hit (I know you were joking so take my comment as similarly non-serious).

Nate and team - sorry to see that happen, and the other problems you guys had.  You are the car that we had expected to fight all day with and hated to see you having problems.  It is eerily similar to our incident running into the back of the big Grand Prix when it suddenly parked in turn 13.  A driver just doesn't expect to have to suddenly brake at an apex....

• Like 2

This happened to us @ nelsons. Car in front parked it in the last corner and we managed to slow to miss them but we got drilled. Bent up the rear of the car.

If you are going to continue to use those mounts some steel cable to lash the motor to a cross member may be a good option to limit engine travel if you need it.

I’d like to thank everyone that stopped by pit #20 to donate an item to Cameron. We delivered items today to his family and he is doing well.  If he’s feeling better by September his family plans to bring him to the RA race.  Thanks again everyone!

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 4/10/2022 at 9:25 PM, enginerd said:

I looked up that car = EC128 - 1994 BMW 318is.  Very poorly driven car and no driver awareness.  Seeing how it pulled away on the straights (after overbraking and doing an HPDE line in the corners = SLOW~!) that car was definitely a motor swap car.  Most likely M3 motor.
I've had my own issues with EC cars (not holding their line in corners = chopping across and brake checking).  I think that ChampCar should not allow EC cars that are not listed in the VPI, or motor swap cars with engines not in the VPI.  Their speed potential is too high and the EC cars & drivers drive like that are competing for a $1 million purse.  EC drivers need to remember that their are NOT competing against the other class cars A thru D.  I feel that if an EC car is part of any incident with class cars, they should be held to a tougher standard, and more strict penalties.

1 minute ago, TRM-BobK said:

I looked up that car = EC128 - 1994 BMW 318is.  Very poorly driven car and no driver awareness.  Seeing how it pulled away on the straights (after overbraking and doing an HPDE line in the corners = SLOW~!) that car was definitely a motor swap car.  Most likely M3 motor.
I've had my own issues with EC cars (not holding their line in corners = chopping across and brake checking).  I think that ChampCar should not allow EC cars that are not listed in the VPI, or motor swap cars with engines not in the VPI.  Their speed potential is too high and the EC cars & drivers drive like that are competing for a $1 million purse.  EC drivers need to remember that their are NOT competing against the other class cars A thru D.  I feel that if an EC car is part of any incident with class cars, they should be held to a tougher standard, and more strict penalties.

I see it differently. Without being too long winded, I like that ChampCar is a welcoming home for new drivers. Allowing a large variety into EC makes it easier for teams to come try the series. Sometimes you get unlucky running into a driver who missed a shift in turn 5, but in my experience it is rare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, TRM-BobK said:

For every poor decision and bad driving incident I've seen, I'd say the issues are generally proportionate to the numbers of each car in the field.  I don't think EC cars cause more than their fair share of incidents, and the majority of them are on pace, or nearly so as the pointy end of classed cars.  The GBU vette is classed and none of the EC cars could touch it.

And I say that as someone who was punted by an EC car on Sunday and is lucky to still have a car.  I still can't believe I saved it.  Video soon.  Hopefully Daring Greatly get theirs up too.  They very likely would have been collected as an innocent byracer.

I do think it'd be wise to remind EC teams at drivers meetings that they are just visitors in our sandbox, and they should behave as such.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ian said:

... they are just visitors in our sandbox...

Respectfully Disagree. This sandbox belongs to all club members, not just the "classed" cars.

I think your suggestion about a reminder at the drivers meeting is fair though. I always try to be considerate of other cars on track, but that applies in other situations too. If I'm many laps down and the leaders are coming through, if I'm in the championship race but not qualified, etc. etc.  

Perhaps if we could just accept that this IS class racing then we could start talking about the expected behavior that class racing dictates, that you aren't racing with every car on track, try not to mess up their race.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

Perhaps if we could just accept that this IS class racing then we could start talking about the expected behavior that class racing dictates, that you aren't racing with every car on track, try not to mess up their race.  

Yes, there is much denial about the classes that are on track, recognized or otherwise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Yes, there is much denial about the classes that are on track, recognized or otherwise.

All classes, including EC, must be reminded at the driver's meeting = 'It is the passing car's responsibility to make and finish the pass WITHOUT interfering or impeding the other car'.  I have numerous video examples of getting passed by faster cars and they do not hold their line.  They cross over the front and brake in front of you, and or not leave racing room.  They move over into your lane and force you into the grass at ~100+ in the braking zone.
Leaving racing room requires both cars to pick a line thru the corner, and to hold that line thru the entire corner.

Edited by TRM-BobK
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, TRM-BobK said:

All classes, including EC, must be reminded at the driver's meeting = 'It is the passing car's responsibility to make and finish the pass WITHOUT interfering or impeding the other car'.  I have numerous video examples of getting passed by faster cars and they do not hold their line.  They cross over the front and brake in front of you, and or not leave racing room.  They move over into your lane and force you into the grass at ~100+ in the braking zone.
Leaving racing room requires both cars to pick a line thru the corner, and to hold that line thru the entire corner.

For sure.  There are far too many drivers that do not seem to have much situational awareness, and or respect for others on track.  They are in slow cars and fast cars.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

For sure.  There are far too many drivers that do not seem to have much situational awareness, and or respect for others on track.  They are in slow cars and fast cars.  

I think it would be a strong investment for Champcar to get a system in place to track drivers.   A point system of some sort to make drivers accountable over time for their behavior.   xx points and you are  out for a year.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1