TireRack window decal update

• Administrators

Hello folks.

Today's subject is window decals.

A bit of history. 
A few years ago, we developed a partnership with TireRack.com. The contract stated that we would print the TireRack.com logo on the top of the number panels. In addition, the TireRack die-cut decal would be on the top of the windscreen. TireRack would provide die-cut decals to ChampCar for distribution at events for free. There was a request from members to RVA Graphics and Wraps and our CEO, Mike Chisek, for a colored window banner. TireRack said it was ok as long as the color scheme met their requirements. Chisek approved the art.

Fast forward to 4/6/2021, and I got an email from TireRack explaining that the font size for the window topper was too small. I investigated, and sure enough, it was printed too small. I immediately contacted Dana Morrison and proposed what the next steps should be. 

I contacted Tyler at RVA Graphics and Wraps, and we worked on the new art with the correct size. I asked Tyler to start sending out the corrected art ASAP. On 4/26/2021, I received the art proofs and approved them. Orders from that point on would contain this new art.

Dana and I discussed that due to members buying their decals in 2021, we would require all cars in 2022 to have the correct font size. The TireRack supplied die-cut decals or the new RVA Graphics and Wraps banner. The new requirement would go into effect on 1/1/2022. On Jan 1, 2022, I sent an email to all current and past members and made forum and social media posts about this. 

The feedback was excellent. I was expecting a lot of backlash from members, you know, because of the "Internet." 
Most teams have complied and have the correct decals on the car. However, a handful of teams were not happy about it. But tech and I told them we would supply them with a new free die-cut decal. 

Now the past couple of events, I discovered that a few teams were getting shipped older decals. I have spoken with Justin Andress about this issue, and RVA Graphics and Wraps will replace the smaller font banners. You will need to contact RVA Graphics and Wraps with your order number and work out the shipping details.

• Like 4

• Technical Advisory Committee
28 minutes ago, Robmink said:

How do we know if the font is too small?  What is the text height of the incorrect banner vs the correct one?

Great question. Through all these discussions, I've seen no description of what is correct vs. incorrect.

Classic Sticker-Gate. 

Conspiracy theory: What if @Bill Strong is addicted to sniffing sticker glue and made this up so he can huff fresh banners at the championship. Also I heard Bill doesnt even have the right banner on his car 

Edited by Jamie
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Jamie said:

Classic Sticker-Gate. 

Conspiracy theory: What if @Bill Strong is addicted to sniffing sticker glue and made this up so he can huff fresh banners at the championship. Also I heard Bill doesnt even have the right banner on his car 

I don't have any on my cars as I just don't have time to race. It's easier to find someone else to race that takes care of all the important stuff, like putting the correct decals on their car.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jamie said:

Classic Sticker-Gate. 

Conspiracy theory: What if @Bill Strong is addicted to sniffing sticker glue and made this up so he can huff fresh banners at the championship. Also I heard Bill doesn't even have the right banner on his car 

Bill's car is a myth I have yet to see it. Plus he is never home, so it may only exist in his mind as a dream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
20 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Just to be clear, these will be provided at the races? 

(So at Hallet there will be a bunch of these)

The die cut decals will be at Hallett. We have truck loads of them.

• Administrators
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 6/7/2022 at 9:56 AM, Atlanta Speedwerks said:

Good info thanks. We had the RVA banners but found that the wipers got destroyed by their tacky (in grip, not design) background material, so we are doing our own now. 4" it is. Size DOES matter!

Cut a reverse decal and mount it on the backside of the polycarbonate or glass window, and a backing sunshade. That keeps the decal from interfering with aero and the wipers.

• 2 weeks later...