The Mercedes is causing Hamilton more trouble than Russell because he hasn’t been in a tricky car in a long time. George spent years fighting the poor handling of the Williams so he’s well trained for the problems in the new Mercedes. That’s my theory anyway, I hope they get the car sorted out because I like Lewis.

And Sainz… man he’s throwing it all away. You have the best car, just keep it on the track!

Love seeing haas do well, very exciting. Without Mag in the car, we probably wouldn’t know how solid it is! We would be talking about how Haas threw away last year to develop the 2022 car and still failed to make a good one!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, enginerd said:

The Mercedes is causing Hamilton more trouble than Russell because he hasn’t been in a tricky car in a long time. George spent years fighting the poor handling of the Williams so he’s well trained for the problems in the new Mercedes.

That's been my thought as well, although I did come across someone promoting the idea that the older guys are having trouble as they haven't driven ground effect cars in many years. The younger guys have experience from the F2 cars.

18 minutes ago, mender said:

I'm not a Hammy fan but I acknowledge his abilities. I have to wonder how much Bottas contributed to the development and tuning while he was at Mercedes. His Alfa seems to be doing well.

Supposedly Ham hates the simulator and is on it very little. And the sim is where they do a lot of setup testing.

The team that has really surprised me is McLaren, coming from where they were at Bahrain. They looked like the next Williams and in the fourth race are on the podium.

If Mazepin was still in the Haas they likely still don't have any points and no one is paying attention to them. Kinda makes one wonder if it was all car last year as Schu hasn't really shown much of anything other than an occasional flash.

I don't follow the lower series but apparently Schu took a year in both F2 and F3 just muddling around before finding speed the second year. And even then wasn't dominant while being with the top teams in both series.

Edited by Bandit

9 hours ago, Bandit said:

The team that has really surprised me is McLaren, coming from where they were at Bahrain. They looked like the next Williams and in the fourth race are on the podium.

I think Bahrain was the surprise and they are just getting back to where they should have been all along. They were very strong in week 1 of testing and probably devoted a ton of resources to redesigning and remaking their brakes once they proved to be ineffective, leading to a lack of effort towards the Bahrain race. They lost of bunch of time testing due to the brakes as well, so now they are catching up on data in the free practice sessions. I think in Bahrain they had welded metal brake ducting instead of carbon, and that's certainly going to add to unsprung weight. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jamie said:

WHY DID RARI PIT? But I am glad they did makes the season better. 

LeClerc's tires were degrading slightly faster than Perez's, so they were trying to force RB into the pits to try and get 2nd.

Obviously didn't turn out the way they hoped. RB could have left Perez out and still got second due to the length of the Imola pit lane. Was surprised they brought him in as the Ferrari wasn't going to make up over 2 seconds per lap running the RB down.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bandit said:

LeClerc's tires were degrading slightly faster than Perez's, so they were trying to force RB into the pits to try and get 2nd.

Obviously didn't turn out the way they hoped. RB could have left Perez out and still got second due to the length of the Imola pit lane. Was surprised they brought him in as the Ferrari wasn't going to make up over 2 seconds per lap running the RB down.

Was he asking about pitting after the brush with the wall? I never saw a picture showing his wing, but the commentators didn't seem to think it was damaged enough to need a new one.

6 hours ago, enginerd said:

Was he asking about pitting after the brush with the wall? I never saw a picture showing his wing, but the commentators didn't seem to think it was damaged enough to need a new one.

I don't recall him saying they needed to pit and he only had two turns before the pit. The wing didn't look as bad as Ham's last year after the Max brake check so staying out may have been the better option, saving a couple spots. It looked like the left endplate was the only real damage.

Will be something else if that comes back to bite them at the end of the year.

• Like 1

Of all the drivers, I think Max might be the only one I really dislike.  I don't care of some others, but Max is at the bottom for me.  With that said, I don't see how Ferrari can stop him from repeating as champion.  I think only Red Bull can stop Max.  

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve tried to watch a few Indycar races this year and just can’t get through them without having to rewind a few times because I stopped paying attention. F1 on the other hand keeps me glued to my seat the whole time. And I’m curious why that is? 

I think there are a couple factors.
1) the cars change color frequently, one week a driver may have yellow sponsor and the next week it’s changed. I can’t just look at a car and know who’s driving it or even what team it is.

2) all the cars are the same and that means that on any given week a driver could (and this happens often) be running top 5 or 20th, so keeping track of where each driver is takes serious attention. In F1 you know about what position the drivers will be in, so any outliers are easy to spot.

3) teams?? In F1 the team is a huge deal, basically the biggest factor. In Indycar I don’t have a clue what team 80% of the drivers are in, and it really doesn’t seem to matter. In the barber race I saw two teammates battling hard for position and only knew they were teammates because the announcer said so.

4) yellows. In indycar a yellow is a chance to take a pee break because nothing is going to happen for the next 10 minutes as they parade around and wait for pits to open and allow everyone to pit even if the incident is clear. In formula 1 yellows are game changing and as soon as the track is clear, they go green the next time around (usually) whether you have pitted or not.

Thoughts? I bet several of you look at these points and say “those differences make indycar better!!”

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2

I have to admit that Indycar hasn't been all that captivating for me lately. I know some of the names, mostly the older drivers, and of course I'm always watching the back of the pack in case Jimmy Johnson has a good day but despite their talent, the young guys haven't really piqued my interest. Well, Colton Herta is usually pretty exciting to watch...

F1 this year has seen quite a shake-up in the status quo, with last year's also-rans now making appearances at the front of field. And not just the odd occurrence; regular top tens and even fives. I expect that Mercedes will make their way back to the front, and Hammy will tough it out long enough to get #8. Maybe not this year for either but eventually.

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 1:13 PM, enginerd said:

I’ve tried to watch a few Indycar races this year and just can’t get through them without having to rewind a few times because I stopped paying attention. F1 on the other hand keeps me glued to my seat the whole time. And I’m curious why that is? 

I think there are a couple factors.
1) the cars change color frequently, one week a driver may have yellow sponsor and the next week it’s changed. I can’t just look at a car and know who’s driving it or even what team it is.

2) all the cars are the same and that means that on any given week a driver could (and this happens often) be running top 5 or 20th, so keeping track of where each driver is takes serious attention. In F1 you know about what position the drivers will be in, so any outliers are easy to spot.

3) teams?? In F1 the team is a huge deal, basically the biggest factor. In Indycar I don’t have a clue what team 80% of the drivers are in, and it really doesn’t seem to matter. In the barber race I saw two teammates battling hard for position and only knew they were teammates because the announcer said so.

4) yellows. In indycar a yellow is a chance to take a pee break because nothing is going to happen for the next 10 minutes as they parade around and wait for pits to open and allow everyone to pit even if the incident is clear. In formula 1 yellows are game changing and as soon as the track is clear, they go green the next time around (usually) whether you have pitted or not.

Thoughts? I bet several of you look at these points and say “those differences make indycar better!!”

I’ve always loved both, but I agree with most of your observations.  Some thoughts on the final one:

The safety car in F1 is sometime painfully long these days. I’d really like to see them change the rules so that they add one additional lap for every two laps under yellow if the safety car comes out in the last 20 laps.  I would think that the tires and fuel would easily support that.  But I bet the broadcasters wouldn’t like it.  

To more fully explain:   78 lap race.  safety car comes out starting on lap 60 and runs to lap 70.  The race gets changed to 83 laps as a result when the green flies.  Not quite a green white checker concept, but makes it so we get more racing at the end.   This would have worked great in the final race of last season.  It takes pressure off of the track cleanup too. 

Edited by Racer28173

The changing paint schemes are indicative of a series that isn’t fully financially healthy.  I hate them too, but the teams aren’t getting the big sponsors they had 30 years ago.  Back then, every sponsor was a household name too.  These days, I have to look 1/3 of them up.  

1 hour ago, Racer28173 said:

I’ve always loved both, but I agree with most of your observations.  Some thoughts on the final one:

The safety car in F1 is sometime painfully long these days. I’d really like to see them change the rules so that they add one additional lap for every two laps under yellow if the safety car comes out in the last 20 laps.  I would think that the tires and fuel would easily support that.  But I bet the broadcasters wouldn’t like it.  

To more fully explain:   78 lap race.  safety car comes out starting on lap 60 and runs to lap 70.  The race gets changed to 83 laps as a result when the green flies.  Not quite a green white checker concept, but makes it so we get more racing at the end.   This would have worked great in the final race of last season.  It takes pressure off of the track cleanup too. 

This is tough to do with out refuelling.

• Like 2

A couple years ago, the talk was that the cars "did not have enough fuel to make the full race distance" so they would have to manage it and decide how and when to run hard and when to conserve.  

I do miss some of the strategy with refueling though.  

On 5/6/2022 at 12:13 PM, enginerd said:

Indycar is a spec series. (Hell, the car design is around 10 years old)

I don't find spec series interesting.

I rarely watch Nascar anymore either as that is now a de facto spec series.

The tech in F1 is fascinating to me and the cars have the same livery all year. Like you say, picking out who is who is a pain when they change almost weekly. And the weekly rumors about who is bring updates and what they are is very interesting. I just wish they didn't focus so much on the top 3 teams as I'd like to know what everyone is working on and where their problems are.

Nascar also has that sponsor problem which is a big part of the reasoning behind going to the spec cars. Saves development cost. The teams are not pulling in nearly as much money as they used to and everyone from drivers to guys in the shop have taken a haircut. Some more than others. ie-Out of jobs entirely.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bandit said:

Both Haas in the top ten with KMag not far off the top 6.

spacer.png

Love it! They had me worried from the last two races...

I also am happy that they are delaying upgrades a few more weeks. Take your time, look at the competitors a bit longer, make those upgrades really count. Mercedes is up against a wall, needs to get upgraded quick or the season is done. Haas isn't in contention for top step, so they can afford to lose a few more weeks to get a better product for the 2nd half of the season.

• Like 2