Posted (edited)

With all the talk of Haas not having an update, it's been reported they do in fact have a very small one. They reinforced the floor. I'm guessing with stays under the bodywork like RB has.

Here's what AMuS is reporting;

Invisible upgrade in the Haas

Haas redeemed himself for the Miami mishaps. For the first time since the 2019 Brazilian GP, both US Ferraris made it into Q3. And that despite the fact that the US racing team in Barcelona was the only team that did without upgrades. Team boss Guenther Steiner was all the more pleased: "Where are the others who started with half-new cars? We didn't do more than they did with anything. That's called efficiency."

In fact, Haas had a small modification in his luggage, but it remained invisible. The underbodies of both cars were reinforced. And promptly the bouncing was completely gone. "We could go lower and lower with the ground clearance, and the cars got faster and faster. The engineers themselves could hardly believe it," Steiner said amused. Kevin Magnussen praised: "Sometimes a good setup is worth more than the biggest upgrade."

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/haas-alfa-romeo-barcelona-qualifying-erfolg/

I agree Nate. Make what you have work before complicating your setups with new variables. The car doesn't have an obvious flaw it seems, so why throw parts at it? Now that they can run it low they can focus on improving it, much like Merc has had to do.

spacer.png

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 1

I think one could pick a random Champcar crew chief from about any race and have better race strategy than whoever Steiner has making those calls for Haas.

Not one, but both cars were on the absolutely wrong strategy. Trying a one stopper when the vast majority did three? Come on....

10 hours ago, Bandit said:

I think one could pick a random Champcar crew chief from about any race and have better race strategy than whoever Steiner has making those calls for Haas.

Not one, but both cars were on the absolutely wrong strategy. Trying a one stopper when the vast majority did three? Come on....

And at a previous race this season they committed to a 2 stop early when 1 stop came out right. They do seem to get the tire strat wrong more than other teams. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, enginerd said:

And at a previous race this season they committed to a 2 stop early when 1 stop came out right. They do seem to get the tire strat wrong more than other teams. 

That may reflect the drivers' ability to read and manage the tires.

That's one area that Bottas wasn't quite up to Hammy's level and it showed in the race results. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, mender said:

That may reflect the drivers' ability to read and manage the tires.

That's one area that Bottas wasn't quite up to Hammy's level and it showed in the race results. 

Listening to the coms the pitwall knows what their tire deg is. (F1TVPro is great. Can go to any car's cam and comms live)

They were running Mini Schu to a laptime trying to save the tires when other teams saw that wasn't going to work.

And Mag was 4 seconds off the pace late with his hards. Insanity. He ran his fastest lap of the race on lap 3. You never see that.

Edited by Bandit

Kevin's incident really screwed up the race strategy options for Haas.  Leave both cars on track in relatively good position after lap 1 (both in top 10) and you can split the strategy where 1 goes to a 2 stop and the other to a 3 to cover their bases.  

The issue with Haas's strategy is that they cannot risk changing strategy when it starts going south.  "Mick could maybe make it into the points at the end if we leave him out, but he will almost absolutely not finish in the points if we box him."  That's the way I view it.  Merc had the same thing at Saudi with Lewis.  VSC and timing screwed them but that's motor racing Toto.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, jmabarone said:

"Mick could maybe make it into the points at the end if we leave him out, but he will almost absolutely not finish in the points if we box him."  That's the way I view it. 

They did the same at Bahrain however. Left Schu out on old tires while everyone else got new skins. Top ten gone in one lap.

Haas and strategy don't go together.

Edited by Bandit

3 hours ago, Bandit said:

For the Ham fans that claim KMag turned into him.

https://streamable.com/otqu1r

I haven’t watched anything other than what was broadcast on TV and I came to the conclusion that Mag was getting greedy and initiated an equal-fault collision. You can’t expect someone to hold the inside line that well on lap 1, it’s asking for trouble. 

Totally agree Nate, both should have seen the outcome. Was sad Mag couldn't come back as Hamilton did. as it has been fun watching Hass improving this year.

I'm thinking we should all get together on a hotline each race and give our strategies to them, couldn't be any worse.

Edited by 55mini
spelling