2022 ChampCar iRacing Series: Round 6, Sonoma Raceway - 4/27/2022, 5/4/2022

Rapido

Unfortunately the real-world ChampCar round that was scheduled to take place at Sonoma has recently been cancelled. However, at the iRacing Series we are unbound by geographic inconvenience and so will be taking our field off to the virtual west coast for some racing in wine country. The Cup config is a tricky layout and the Miata should be well suited to the demands of the track. Weather will probably be on the warm side but it will stay light for the entirety of the race. 

Good luck, have fun!

Session Details

• Practice Round: Wednesday, 27-April-2022
  • Championship Round: Wednesday, 4-May-2022
  • Practice Start: 6:30pm ET
  • Qualifying Start: 8:30pm ET
  • Race Start: 9:30pm ET
  • Car: Mazda Miata NC Cup
  • In-Sim Session Date: Wednesday, 27-April-2022
  • In-Sim Session Start Time: 2:00pm
  • In-Sim Time Multiplier: 1x
  • Weather: Auto-Generated
  • Setup: iRacing Baseline Setup with 6.4g Fuel
  • Fast Repairs: 1
  • License Requirements: Practice Rounds (None), Championship Round (>D2.0)

Useful Links

ChampCar iRacing Series - League Application

ChampCar iRacing Series - Discord Server

2022 ChampCar iRacing Series Schedule

2022 ChampCar iRacing Series Broadcast Information Form

2022 ChampCar iRacing Series Protest Form

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

• Like 2

Late practice race recap

Had limited time in the sim prior to the practice race.  Was happy with the P6 qualifying but then I got wrecked like lap 3 when the guy behind entering T11 hit me in RR corner and sent me into the wall.  After a slow lap to get back to the pits I did fast repair and fueled the car.  I had multiple issues myself judging braking rates so I made contact several times, including repeating what happened to me in T11.   Note:  if you can't stop in time or completely avoid consider hitting the car square so it will just go forward and not get turned into the wall.  I also left some teal paint on the wall on the exit of 11.  At the end I was looking to hit the pace car for a perfect day lol.  Just glad that it was a practice race.

• Like 2

After catching up somewhat on practice since last week, I laid down a hot qualifying lap – improving my best and within .2 of my optimal lap – which netted a P7 start.  It was pole qualifying for a while. 

At the race start the left line got a good jump and before turn 2 I was P5.  Kudos to Mark for the aggressive start which got us spread out and avoid two wide and the ensuing carnage.  I made a couple small mistakes and a couple cars got back by me in the opening few laps.  Unfortunately, Justin who was behind, braked too late and hit and spun me in turn 11.  It was a solid hit but speeds were relatively low and the car was not damaged.  Fortunately, no one behind hit me and there was a decent gap so I could turn around quickly and resume albeit 5 spots further back.  I’m confident this was not intentional but I don’t see how its fair that someone can advance their position through avoidable contact with no consequence, so I filed a protest to get a ruling from our league admin.  IRL this would most likely be a black flag.

From 12th it was not too long until I caught P11 and P10.  Scott was in P11 and it took a while to get by him.  This track is not easy for me to get a good run and it took a few attempts to complete the pass.  Once I totally missed my braking point entering turn 7 but he saw it and let me slide through so he could cross under.  After clearing Scott was Patrick.  After a lap or two he ran wide into T4 and I was able to get by on the inside. 

After that there was a lot of clean track, so I just kept going.  I had thought about undercutting but the next car was like 14 seconds ahead so I decided the gap was too large so I would just keep making good laps until the gas ran out – as it turned out this had me in P1 for a couple laps.  About a lap short of running out of fuel Alex had caught me and I decided to pit in.

Exiting the pits I was about 5 seconds behind P9, so I figured my fresh tires might help me close the gap.  About halfway through lap 28 I realized I was about ½ lap short on fuel.  I had a solid 12 second gap to P11 so I abandoned my quest to improve and started saving fuel and protecting what I had.  It probably cost a second or two per lap but I was able to finish P10 49 seconds behind the leader with .1 gallons left.  I guess I have a bit of work to do on mileage calculation - what worked in practice race was not enough in this race.  Last season I would have been ecstatic being just 49 seconds back but this time I was a bit disappointed. 

After event 6, unofficially there are 41 drivers still eligible for the year end drawing. 

Edited by mostmint
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, mostmint said:

I’m confident this was not intentional but I don’t see how its fair that someone can advance their position through avoidable contact with no consequence, so I filed a protest to get a ruling from our league admin.  IRL this would most likely be a black flag.

That is the point of the protest system.

Thank you to all those who raced this week, it was an entertaining race throughout the field and plenty of good and close driving.

Please note that there was one protest filed (our first of the season) - this will be analysed and the resolution posted in this thread. Following this, any changes in points or classification will also be communicated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

To close the loop from this round, please see details of the protest filed below:

Subject of protest: Justin Hall

Reason for protest: Avoidable contact

Conclusion: Following analysis of the replay, decision is made to award Justin Hall a 10s time penalty, to be added to his total race time. Although not intentional and clearly an error, the mistake had a material impact upon the progress of another competitor and, given this was on the first lap, more caution could reasonably have been expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rapido said:

To close the loop from this round, please see details of the protest filed below:

Subject of protest: Justin Hall

Reason for protest: Avoidable contact

Conclusion: Following analysis of the replay, decision is made to award Justin Hall a 10s time penalty, to be added to his total race time. Although not intentional and clearly an error, the mistake had a material impact upon the progress of another competitor and, given this was on the first lap, more caution could reasonably have been expected.

Apologies again to @mostmint for the contact on lap 1

• Thanks 1