2021 TireRack.com National Championship at Ozarks International Raceway - Post race images and results

• Administrators

Results page - https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1974115

Images

Friday Practice 737 images by Bill Strong- https://photos.app.goo.gl/htomjAU251fYLkRg6

Saturday Race 1 - 8-Hour - 4530 images by Bill Strong - https://photos.app.goo.gl/6i9PkeQnWRToVt2T7

Sunday Race 2 - 8-Hour - 3841 images by Bill Strong - https://photos.app.goo.gl/njb7oAdgWmQe2V5u8

• Like 1

I watched the racing on-line and the track camera angles and placement were nice for the remote viewing.  Helped me also envision the track - looked fast.  Thanks to CC for the commentary.  Congrats to the winners and everyone competing - looked like it was a good 'fight to the finish'.

• Like 4

• Technical Advisory Committee

Great race and great race coverage from ChampCar Live! 
I cant wait to see some of the stories. Congratulations to @Ronh911 on winning the championship, fighting back to finish 4th on Sunday after some early issues. 
RBank, Flatout Nemesis and GMS had quite the battle for 1st place on Sunday, with Cone Crushers and Visceral coming hard to add to their nice finishes on Saturday. 
The championship was still contested between five teams that all managed to finish in the top five on Sunday.

Very exciting to watch, and a testament to the close racing amongst various brands that Champ Car provides. 

• Like 12

Special shout out to the RBank and GMS teams and drivers. On a track that required massive amounts of guts and bravery, these teams set FTD after FTD in the final hour with the gap at start/finish being little more than a second between them. Also to Flatout Nemesis for setting FTD overall and catching these 2 cars in the final moments. 

Besides on track performance, the drama with fcy’s, strategies and late driver only changes to satisfy the 2 hour max limit made for an incredible finish. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mcoppola said:

Special shout out to the RBank and GMS teams and drivers. On a track that required massive amounts of guts and bravery, these teams set FTD after FTD in the final hour with the gap at start/finish being little more than a second between them. Also to Flatout Nemesis for setting FTD overall and catching these 2 cars in the final moments. 

Besides on track performance, the drama with fcy’s, strategies and late driver only changes to satisfy the 2 hour max limit made for an incredible finish. 

The final stint battles were epic. I cannot wait to see video from the ChampCar Live cameras from the GMS and RBank cars. The first few turns of the final lap were absolutely wild. 

The Mailman might not deliver on Sunday, but the pizza man does! 

Congrats to Visceral on the Championship, and to @Grantfor whipping us all on Sunday. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Andrew D Johnson said:

The final stint battles were epic. I cannot wait to see video from the ChampCar Live cameras from the GMS and RBank cars. The first few turns of the final lap were absolutely wild. 

The Mailman might not deliver on Sunday, but the pizza man does! 

Congrats to Visceral on the Championship, and to @Grantfor whipping us all on Sunday. 

Unfortunately the quality of the live stream cameras was spotty. Probably due to internet service in the area?

Paulie did his best to show the battles, but the feed didn't cooperate.

This race was by far some of the best racing I've ever seen, bar none. I had racehero, race monitor, CC Live, and a few other live streams going between a couple pcs's and a phone or 2, lol.

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 5

The cars and driver talent out there this last weekend were great.   We had a great time.   Snuck into the top 5 for a little bit on Saturday, but no way did we have

what the winners had for pace.  Awesome job everyone.   Can’t wait to come back.

• Like 3

901 Motorsports brought the #903 e30 to the Ozarks, excited to be in the National Championships but not liking our chances given a mid-power momentum car.  It just looked so fast!  And like many others we were not sure about this new track and how well it would race.

Friday was soggy and full of lightning and was a scramble to get enough laps to learn.  But having only 3 drivers this weekend helped us maximize track time.  And going out in the street cars for the first session was brilliant (would love to add a track walk to that-- think it would increase safety).   I admit I was nervous, knowing I only knew the track about 90%.

Saturday night brought insane storms that rocked the RV but the rain stopped around 8am.  I really like the wet so got the call to start.  Started roughly 10th vowing to stay out of trouble.  That only lasted 2 laps before I ran out of track and talent on the outside of Turn 7 (I could have sworn there was more track there on Friday).  Got lucky, saved it and only had a few lost seconds and a lightly bent wheel to remind me to be smart for the rest of the weekend.  The track is fast and flows, so we could carry crazy momentum even in the wet, with excellent grip from the nice new surface and very little puddling.  Ran 3rd most of the stint, able to see the leader but unable to close.  

Mark got in, got a fresh tire, and was told to have fun and keep it safe.  We were focused on having fun on this cool track but we now knew we could run at least top 10, so needed to stay on the lead lap if at all possible.  He did a great job, smooth and clean.  The car was handling well and very predictable over the elevation changes.

Chris got in while we were in 6th, was running well, holding steady. We were all still learning the track but the track was now fully dry other than a persistent puddle in turn 13. Despite driving well, Chris started feeling ill in the car after 1:40. We were ~20 minutes short of our window but we didn't want him to hurt himself (or barf in the seat). When a full course caution flew, we brought him in. 

We knew that the extra stop for a driver change was going to cost us almost a lap, but we got lucky when the leaders all needed to pit under green 20 minutes into the stint. So we were back in the game. I was in the car and trying to run qualifying laps the entire stint, pushing to get the lap advantage we would need. Visceral was too fast but we were in 2nd and had a chance to hold it. We debated changing at a full course before my full 2 hrs but rolled the dice and kept pushing. Was able to catch and lap 5th and then 4th, then get on the tail of 3rd (the DirtE30) and we had a great time flying around until the clock ran out and we had to pit under green, almost one lap up on them.

Mark got back in the car, with a driver only change. In hindsight we need to practice driver changes because we were too slow, and got Mark out only 9 seconds ahead of DirtE30, 15 minutes to go. So we lost 2nd on the out lap, and still had Conecrushers chasing hard for 3rd. Frank called to Mark "I need 2 more seconds per lap out of you for the next two laps". Oh boy. But Mark kept on digging, got those 2 seconds/lap, and got 3rd by 0.9 seconds! We were psyched to have such a great result on this awesome track.

Sunday we hoped to do it again on a beautiful windy day but wasn't to be. I started, had a great time ripping around, having a blast with the #1 90racing/Rbank Civic as we moved though traffic in the top 5. Did have some contact when we were splitting two lapped cars-- as we came over a rise into a yellow flag zone, we all checked hard and I couldn't stop, popping the #1 in the diffuser. I apologized after and was super glad they were able to carry on to 2nd place. Mark got in but the fun was short-lived as we had 2 wheel studs fail and mess up the threads. Was able to get it repaired to go play but put us back in 29th. Oh well. Still a great weekend.

FWIW, I thought everyone drove really well, respecting the track and each other despite some major speed differences due to very different cars and comfort levels. I thought the passing was not a problem (that was a surprise), and Ozarks just might be my new favorite track. And congrats to Visceral on the #1! 

Brett Shanaman
901 Motorsport
#901, #903 BMW e30
Edited by eyeballs19
  • Like 12

There will be a race report later, but I will say this track is a lot of fun and the facilities are close to being great.  Give it a year and it will be some place you want to experience.  Due to lightning slowing the test day and starting Saturday, all my on track was in the wet, so I have limited view points on the track.  Letting teams out on Friday in street cars was awesome!  It was beneficial for us to see just how much the elevation and on/off camber areas the track has. 

Having watched a lot of video leading up to this and reading comments online about how un-racy the track was, they were all put to bed as a result of that drive.  This track is WIDE, lots of places to put a car(in the dry) to make passes.  All the incidents I saw on Saturday during my stint were self induced as I think drivers just tried to push too hard on a wet track they didn't know. 

Now I will say that I think this track also has the potential for a "big one" due to the differences in closing speeds in the series and the amount of blind crests.   You have to look ahead as a driver and respect that a car in front of you may not see you, especially if you are the second car in a line of fast movers.  This happened to us in roller coaster where the lead car was given space, and then a slow car came down and shut the door on use when we were doing 100+ mph and had to lock the brakes to avoid a collision. 

Personally I want to go back for some time in the dry, but I hope other teams that sign up really consider their level of skill and stress awareness to their drivers if they are in a low speed car as there are a lot of opportunities for issues to happen.

• Like 2

00Place holder for adventure, success, carnage, great recovery, and final epic battles and success...  plus, a vague reference to sell the car....

So, we left SC at 8pm on Wednesday night for the long drive to Missouri.  Drove through the night, except for a 2 hour nap at a rest stop in Georgia.  Made it to our VRBO at 2:30 pm local time on Thursday.  

The team trickled in and we made tacos at the house for dinner.  Then, we proceeded to play beer pong and foosball until 10pm.

Got to the track and unloaded Friday morning between rain storms.  Absolutely LOVED the pace laps in the wet!  That REALLY helped me learn the track.

Got ready to do some tire testing and comparisons with the new cooper rs3r in 245 40 15 and the maxxis vr1 v2 in 245 40 15.  That all went out the window when lightening started ripping through the sky....

So, we had 6 drivers to get through the car and only 3 hours to do it.  No tire testing time..  poop.

Saturday race started wet.  We ran the cooper's even though they looked like they would suck in the rain.  The car was hydroplaning, but was still quick.

Changed drivers after about 1:50 when we got a caution.  Next driver drove the car to the front of the field.  Had another caution and were picked up by the pacecar as the leader.  2 laps after going green, disaster struck.  Going through turn 16, the car lost all grip and spyn into the wall.  The passenger side of the car was suddenly 4 or so inches narrower....

IMG_7751.jpg.647bf9d0003279a74ead75a1f78d322c.jpg

fender flares ripped off.  Door pushed into the cage.  Rear Wing endpapers ripped off.  

However, steering wheel was straight!  We checked the car out, hammered on the fender and taped some bodywork back in the car and got back in the race.  We were 2 laps down at that point iirc.

The driver wasn't feeling the greatest so he came in right at the earliest time to still make the normal 3 stop window.

I got in the car next and felt like I was flying.  I worked my way into the 248 lap times and felt like a hero.  The car felt great and the alignment was good still.

The next driver got in the car.  We changed the driver side front tire at the pit stop because of inside edge wear.  Unfortunately,  we should have changed BOTH fronts.  Lost a tire with about an hour to go.  No incident, just lost time.

Worked our way back to p9 on Saturday.  Pretty tough looking back at leading at the 3 hour mark and being one of the fastest cars on track...  oh well, let's go work on the car for 5 hours to get it ready for Sunday.

Chris Huggins is one he'll of a bodyman!  He got the passenger side straightened out!  The track crew also found our missing parts out on track and we got them reattached.

20220430_202243.jpg.31390f37e57528a306a69767d3242629.jpg

Sunday, I started in the car on the Maxxis tires.  We figures we were gonna be a second or 2 slower on these than the coopers...  nope! I went 1.3 seconds faster on the maxxis!

drove to the front within 3 or 4 laps except where the dirt e30 car passed me under yellow.  The pacecar picked me up and the dirt e 30 car stopped on the side of the track and then forced their way between me and the pacecar.  The entire situation was bizarre. 

Anyway, I passed the dirt e 30 car again and headed out down the road.

We pitted at the 145 mark to catch a caution.  Erik Hardy got in the car and was fast.  We were still in the hunt for the win.  It was either during Erik's stint or Chris's stint that we lead some more.

Chris got in the car and were p2 right behind 90 racing.  There was a bit of cat and mouse going on and unfortunately, we got behind a 2nd pace car that 90 racing did not.  We lost about 30 seconds to them.  Chris gained most of the time back by the end of the stint.

Erik Hardy got back in the car for the last stint.  This is where the race really gets epic....

I knew Erik would be faster than me and I wanted our best chance of winning so I sat out for him to go super mutant.

Let me set this up for you...

352 Flat-out Nemesis is in first.  They are able to run about 8 seconds a lap faster than either us or the crx (at this point).  90 racing is in second.  We are in 3rd about 19 seconds back from the crx.

The laptimes are okay, but nothing amazing for the first 5 or 6 laps from each of the top 3.  Then, 90 racing goes ballistic and lays down a 245 or some nonsense like that.  Erik follows suit.  They proceed to run personal best lap times for about the next 1.5 hours while being about 1 to 10 seconds apart depending on traffic. 

Somewhere in there the 352 car pits under caution.  They are almost 1 lap down and MAY play a part at the end if they can really lay it down.  There is some luck involved and they get ANOTHER caution which moves them further up the pack.  There is not much doubt at that point that they are gonna catch us and 90 racing.

The battle is for 2nd.  It heats up even higher if possible until we get a caution with about 30 mins to go.  The way it worked out was amazing!  The pacecar picked up flat out nemesis and the cry of 90 racing was right behind.  We were right behind the crx.  1, 2, 3 all with .8 of a second with about 7 laps to go.  Sprint race shootout here we go!

Everybody set personal bests and just crushed the laptimes.  Numerous passes or almost passes each lap.

On the 2nd to last lap, Erik got around the crx and was sitting in 2nd as they crossed the line.  Erik got squirrely in turn one and gave 2nd back to 90 racing.  At the top of the hill, Erik got a run on the crx and tried to pass.

Unfortunately we made slight contact and spun out.

Oh well, it was excellent racing.  It was amazing to watch.

Top 3 finished about 15 seconds apart after 8 hours of racing.

Edit to add....  we had to change the driver side front maxxis for an rs4 for the last stint.  In that stint, erik did a 244.4.  Fast lap of the car for the weekend.  4 seconds faster than we had gone on the coopers or maxxis...  part of that was the big push and hanging it all out to finish as high as we could.  I think I'll just stick with the wearing like iron rs4!

20220502_220551.jpg.ffd7d51204bb90d2fc34e6679ac31f7f.jpg

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 13

Burningham had a fun weekend.  Didn't have the pace of the fast cars.  Tried to sneak in a top 10 with pit strategy on Sunday that was working but broke a fuel pump with about 30 min to go.  We'll go back, hopefully with a faster car next time.

Track flows nicely, very fast.  It was fun trying to find the fast way through.  We met JR the track owner Thursday night and is a very open unassuming guy given the fact he spent millions building the place.  Later in the weekend we saw him putting out garbage cans, cleaning up fluid on the track, and Sunday morning he was cleaning the bathrooms himself.  Really cool to see him there making every effort to make our weekend an enjoyable one.  

The racing was very good, safe for the most part, and close on the pointy end.  Congrats to those that did well, it was well deserved.  The storms Saturday night were impressive, glad we didn't blown away. Hope everyone made it home safe and without incident.  Get those cars ready for the next one, let's do this again soon.

• Like 8

Team report for MiElan and MiElan Plus 2, well sorry to say you all didn't see much of us this weekend 

Friday practice was great with the drive around to learn the track, I let the boys drive my F350 around and must say even at slow speed my tummy didn't feel well, another story in it's self. It was a huge help to find lines and learn the blind corners. Both cars ran laps in the afternoon and we all had a good feeling going into the race. Prep was done on both cars and off to dinner.

Saturday morning we woke to rain but it was going to clear for the race, all good. Went to the drivers meeting which was a long distance to our trailer and it went a little long and we hustled back to get drivers in cars with the electronics to find both were late to pit and got held to the end of release. Great way to start but on a positive note only could go up from there. Chad in 5 and running hard and moving up quickly, Aaron in 150 and pushing for the first three laps. I looked across to turn 3 and he is pulled into the grass? Radio call car in limp mode so had him reset battery and it stayed in limp mode. He was towed to the trailer and I met him there with a very quick (50mph tow) to start to sort issue. Code reader said low to no voltage on TPS sensor so I dug into plugs and found no issue at either pedal or at throttle body. Grabbed spares and swapped each one at a time to find no fix. Voltage comes from ECU so swapped that with no fix. I found the wiring diagram and wire comes straight to throttle body from ECU and had no voltage at body. I had done a solder splice about 18" back from plug and had heat shrunk it so carefully opened harness and measured for 5 volts at splice, good on feed but nothing after splice. Go figure! Rebuilt splice and off we go. This took sometime to sort. Put Jeff in and he ran his stint learning the track. Then Patrick in for a stint to get some time as well and he came in saying he felt a hub issue up front, so we parked it and finished repairs for Sunday. While sitting and doing 150 repairs Chad drove up in the 5 car which was in its final stint, they had been doing very well up getting near the front of the field. He said check the rear as something is wrong, passenger side is good, drivers not so much as the double roller bearing was totally trashed. Parked it for repairs with a new hub spindle and axle for good measure and got him out to finish a few more laps. An so ended Saturday.

Sunday a new day and got drivers and cars to grid this time 30 minutes early, not making that mistake again.

5 started in mid pack with front group and was off running hard with Nick doing really well. Jacob in 150 near the back and moving up quickly as well when I got a call the clutch is going out and can't pull the hills. He drove into pits to trailer and we parked for the day. Nick still pushing hard in 5 and moving up toward the front thinking we were doing well. He radioed in he was getting tons of wheel spin and coming in and as he slowed to drive the pit road he sees the oil pressure no looking good. He stopped at pit and everyone walked around the drivers side which was all oil and tire completely oil soaked, so explains the wheel spin. He was towed to trailer and ended our race weekend.

Home and power washed the oil pressure line broke inside the crimp connector and 80 lbs of oil had sprayed everywhere. Motor I believe is still good as we had 2 quarts of oil still in the pan but will find out in the next couple days.

As for the track, I think it will be great as they work out all the finish details as it was still early to race in my opinion.

Fresh flaggers learning there job, Flagtronics seemed off the entire time other then full course yellows and green.

No trash cans in paddock and a huge learning curve for teams to understand distance from paddock to pit lane.

Event was run very well by staff and we had a very good time as  teams go just huge bad luck on car issues.

I was very happy to say our guys had no offs and no visits to the rails and cars have no body damage. Huge plus looking at all the wrecked cars in the paddock and trailers.

Huge thanks to Champcar and Ozark Raceway! Hope to return again at some point.

See everyone at Autobahn soon!!

Edited by 55mini
  • Like 4

@55mini
Appreciate your post and info. Hard to put a “like”  on it with the issues you guys had. Hope things go better at Autobahn and look forward to seeing you guys there. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Very interesting weekend to say the least.

The track has potential.  Overall I say I don't like it.    Personal preference there, based on my risk vs reward decision.  The track is incredibly rewarding, but also incredibly risky.  The track is a very technical and challenging drivers track. You need BIG cojones to go flat in some turns, not because of the walls but because of the off camber and blind crests.   If you get it right and stay flat, the lap times drop precipitously.  It reminds me alot of AMP, with pretty much constant turning.  No time to look a gauges or adjust belts.  No time for a drink or to rest your hands.    Unlike amp, the speeds are mostly 4 and 5th gear, with only two slow turns.   There are pretty much zero areas where you can go off and not hit something.  In fact, most of the areas where you go off you will hit guard rail or concrete and not tires or gravel.  I think the gravel traps and tire bundles are in the wrong spots in some places (ie turn 10 needs more runoff and tires, turn 13 needs the gravel moved later, turn 16 where I hit (more later) needs more tires, etc).    The pit road being on the outside of the front "straight" is a bit dangerous - tire rubber was hitting us all day, and if something bad had happened it wouldn't have taken much to have a car or car parts come over the wall too.  

The facilities and area are still growing.  The track is doing it right - but that takes time.  I will withhold judgement at this time.  The garages are very nice and spacious.  There is plenty of paddock area for a champ race.  The pit lane is HUGE with 70+ spots and every spot is 30 feet long.  Unfortunately it is on a curve and a HUGE hill so a car/truck is mandatory and if the track ever restricts the pits to walking or carts only the teams at pit out are screwed.  There was only a food truck at some times and only 1 permanent bathrooms (at the back of the garages) so mostly porta-jons and RV's for facilities.   No trash cans on pit road but that was quickly rectified by teams and the track as there was a gracious plenty of bins in the garages.

The Owner JR is TOPS.  He was personally involved with everything all weekend.    Pulling wires on Thursday for the timing loop, driving forklifts and rescue trucks, cleaning, etc.  The motorsports community is lucky to have someone like him and we are thankful for a new facility and track being created in this era, and the doors being opened to a group of amateurs like us so quickly.

The area is already quite developed due to vicinity to lake of the ozarks, so air-bnb and VRBO are prevalent.  Restaurants and other infrastructure are a bit lacking but I think will grow with the track over time.  

The roads in the area are super fun to drive also (in a car), but a bit challenging with a tow rig.   Everyone managed just fine though.

Now onto me:

I was driving for GMS and Burningham this weekend.  Personal preference but I won't do that again.  Both teams are amazing and made me feel at home,  I just feel I let both teams down as a result of being split-attention.  Initially I was planning on bringing my cars out, but the tow distance and track design made me change my mind (i'm glad I did).   At the time of that decision, the BOD meeting was still planned for Thursday (it really could have happened on Thursday, but so many things were not clear until the very last minute that we just could not be confident in being able to pull it off in a professional manner) so I wanted to have a drive if I was going to fly out for the meeting.  Rodger didn't know if he was going to get the Lexus done in time so I found another ride with Rob and co, but then Rodger got the SC done and that's that.   Hats off to both teams for rolling with my shenanigans.

On Friday we got everyone setup in the same garage and pit area, which was perfect.  Got familiar with the GMS car which I have not driven before.  Due to the rain and lightning I only got to make 3 laps in it towards the end of the day but I felt good and the car felt amazing.

On Saturday I got up but did not eat breakfast.  I had an energy drink and a dose of Advil since I had a slight headache.  I was scheduled to go 2nd in GMS and last in BHam.  GMS was turned over to me in the top 5 and I was getting comfortable and pushing the lap times down at a decent pace when a FCY came out and I ended up behind the pace car in P1.    I think as the speeds dropped the airflow in the car fell also and I started to feel the affects of carbon monoxide poisoning.    I did not realize it at the time though and when it went green I turned in a pretty quick lap on the first green lap.  The 2nd green lap felt good also and predictive had it as a faster lap... until turn 16.  I hit the compression harder than I had before and the car just came around on me.  I had noticed the car did not like bottoming out there earlier and mentioned it on the radio, but I made a judgement error and didn't heed my own advice.  The end result is I stuffed the car into the tires from the lead, basically ruining GMS's chances for the day and the weekend.   Everyone makes mistakes, but man I really picked the wrong time to do something stupid.   Luckily the car was perfectly OK after the wreck - apparently FC's are tanks - only some missing aero and a badly dented door.  I hit THE LAST tire bundle before raw guard rail.  In fact I think the back of the car bumped up against the guard rail after the end of the impact.   After a roll through the pits to look the car over, I went back out.  I made a few fast laps proving the car was still in good shape but then suddenly I began cognitively recognizing the affects of carbon monoxide (I thought heat exhaustion at the time) - Dizzyness, confusion, nausea, chills/shivering, etc.  I radioed in and managed to nurse it around way off pace long enough to get within the pit window for the team - although that has been a point of discussion as well - Risk vs reward and I could have/may have done permanent damage to myself or other people/cars by attempting to stay out once I recognized the problem. 

To be completely transparent it was a personal choice and the team was putting no pressure on me to go one way or another.

Once I got out I turned the car over to the team owner and he drove 2 full hours without issue, along with the final driver - so why was I so susceptible?    Did I not eat enough (aka nothing..)?  Was it the advil?  Was it lack of hydration?  Previous sickness (lingering covid from 6+ months ago?)   

I drove a NB miata for 2+ hours at VIR-S, which while not AMP or Ozarks, is pretty busy, with no ill affects.  

I really need to thank everyone who took care of me once I got out.  I don't remember all the people who came to check, but I know the entire GMS team, BHAM, and RVA were right there helping, Tiffany and Bill came by to check, along with the Ozarks ambulance crew.   Somehow the word got out apparently so I also got a ton of messages checking on me, so appreciate those as well everyone.

I was definitely done driving and basically spent the rest of the day feeing awful and trying to rest and drink fluids.  I did not feel like eating but people kept giving me snacks which I managed to get down.  At the end of the race I somehow managed to function long enough to get the GMS car mostly straight again with help from the rest of their crew, who are seriously amazing and totally on point.  Finally managed to get food close to 9pm but we only found a restaurant which allowed indoor smoking (in 2021?  who knew) so that didn't really sit well with me.  Everything there closes at 9pm for some reason...   Went to bed early and hoping for a better Sunday.

Sunday morning I woke up feeling much better and Rodger let me go out first in Burningham.  It's much easier to drive than the FC due to all of the Lexus luxury features like power seats, HVAC, power steering, seat massagers, etc.    I ran for a good long stint and felt great the whole time, putting down good times and mostly staying out of the way of the faster cars.  No offs, no contact, nothing unusual to report.

GMS put me in third with the car in the mix for the win.  I had seriously lost my confidence after the previous day but managed to slowly work my times down to a reasonable pace, but definitely not as fast as I should have been.  I managed to have no notable events for 2 full hours - no contact, no offs, no close calls, and kept us in the hunt with RBANK.  Not the drive I wanted but 100% better than Saturdays, and hats off to them for letting me have another shot at it after seriously dropping the ball the day before.  They added a fan for me which made a huge difference and I had no negative symptoms during the whole drive.

One thing to note is that at least 3 cars wanted to be a pace car, which potentially affected both Bham and GMS's race.  I was mixing it up with the CRX for the first 20 minutes in my stint when a FCY came out and a white E30 decided to let the CRX basically disappear down track under FCY.  We went from being 0 seconds behind to being 30+ seconds behind as a result.  It didn't likely affect the outcome due to the way the FCY's caught us back up in the next stint, but it really should not have happened.  The White and Orange Fox-Body mustangs did the same thing to Bham which likely did affect that car's race due to the pit strategy we were running.  AT least 2 of the longer FCY in the first stint we wanted to do a pit stop but the mustangs NEVER caught up to the field during 2-4 lap FCY.  I wish Champcar would be more aggressive with black flagging drivers/teams who obviously did not attend the drivers meeting where this was covered very clearly.

The end of the race was literally epic, with Nemesis, Rbank, and GMS putting on a clinic for the podium.  the 944's of Visceral and Cone Crushers also battling hard for the other impound spots.  Hats off to all those drivers for really wringing it out at the end and showing what Champcar is all about.    Congrats to Ron and the whole Visceral crew for capturing the championship after the heartbreak at Sonoma 2 years ago - well deserved victory and I hope you enjoy displaying the #1 banner!

Edited by Chris Huggins
  • Like 14

Wow what a track. This place is fast it flows and it scares the crap out of me. Seriously have to respect her or she'll bite back hard. I was given the opportunity to drive the Burningham Racing #855 Lexus SC300 with Rodger, Casey and Chris Huggins. These guys are a real powerhouse of racing knowledge and strategy. We knew coming into this race that we out gunned from a lap time perspective so we would have to get aggressive with the pit strategy. The strategy didn't work out Saturday and we finished 15th overall but on Sunday things were looking up for a top 10 and maybe top 5 finish but lady luck gave us the boot with 30min left and our fuel pump checked out to end our run for the finish. Thanks again to Champcar and all of the workers that made this race possible. JR the owner of Ozarks is a legend and built an incredible facility that I hope to come back to again. 

-Sam 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chris Huggins said:

One thing to note is that at least 3 cars wanted to be a pace car, which potentially affected both Bham and GMS's race.  I was mixing it up with the CRX for the first 20 minutes in my stint when a FCY came out and a white E30 decided to let the CRX basically disappear down track under FCY.  We went from being 0 seconds behind to being 30+ seconds behind as a result.  It didn't likely affect the outcome due to the way the FCY's caught us back up in the next stint, but it really should not have happened.  The White and Orange Fox-Body mustangs did the same thing to Bham which likely did affect that car's race due to the pit strategy we were running.  AT least 2 of the longer FCY in the first stint we wanted to do a pit stop but the mustangs NEVER caught up to the field during 2-4 lap FCY.  I wish Champcar would be more aggressive with black flagging drivers/teams who obviously did not attend the drivers meeting where this was covered very clearly.

I went and talked to the white moose immediately after the race Saturday and asked them to try and not be a second pace-car Sunday after RVA & I were behind them late Saturday.  They may not have taken my request in the manor I intended and appeared to up their performance for Sunday. 

I tried hard not to be a jerk talking to them Saturday but if I would have talked to them Sunday I would have been very rude.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ben 595 said:

I went and talked to the white moose immediately after the race Saturday and asked them to try and not be a second pace-car Sunday after RVA & I were behind them late Saturday.  They may not have taken my request in the manor I intended and appeared to up their performance for Sunday. 

I tried hard not to be a jerk talking to them Saturday but if I would have talked to them Sunday I would have been very rude.

Agreed.. I fully support black flagging cars that don't catch up with the field under FYC. Sunday I very politely went and talked to the white mustang guys and requested that they catch up with the cars ahead. They were receptive but also did not have in car coms and were unable to relay our request to the driver. I think in the future they will know the drill. 

we (Allen and I crashmanagement dodge stratus) came to Ozarks and helped the Dead Pedal Maserati. Allen drove with their team drivers. as always, had a blast. Dead Pedal Racing brought a prepped hot rod and made the duration both days. pit stops clicked off precisely, the drivers earned both day D class Wins..

the track was SUPER , the management, to safety crew. Champ car, another stellar event. 

We just couldn't get  the worlds fastest stratus (per RVA teases us) prepped and out there. (we had it qualified) just we do Ice cream equipment (for our jobs)and the season is upon us. we loved it there and we will make it happen next time!! 

congrats to Dead Pedal Racing , Ozarks, Champ Car. they all make ya feel welcome and part of the group!!

I'm a old man and I give props to the drivers, a step up (IMO) in skill requirements, (which is good for the series).

event ran just as PRO clean as any pro event (IMO).

We hope everyone had a safe ride home.

• Like 5

Chris brings up some good safety points that probably should be shared back to the track.  Eventually the track will have to put up a catch fence on the front "straight" to prevent a wheel or a car from coming into the hot pits.  There will need to be a flag station added in a few places, one that comes to mind is after 11 there is not another one until the middle of 13 with a fairly high speed blind section around 12 where a disabled car could be an issue.  There are a few others like that, and a couple of the stations will probably have to be double manned to assure quick response in the event of an incident.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ben 595 said:

I turned my fastest lap without a hood...

I need to give a quick thanks to Andrew at pit-out - our hood latch gave up at a final oil level check right before the race Saturday.  I was still fighitng with it (with increasing frustation and panic) as the field drove out.  Andrew reminded me that hoods aren't required.  Problem solved!  Two of our three drivers were faster on Sunday (with a hood), but that may be more attributable to comfort level with the track rather than improved aero.

• Like 1

No problem. Sometimes you go down a rabbit hole and you need someone to pull you out. Glad it worked out and you got out able to take at least one pace lap.

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

Chris brings up some good safety points that probably should be shared back to the track.  Eventually the track will have to put up a catch fence on the front "straight" to prevent a wheel or a car from coming into the hot pits.  There will need to be a flag station added in a few places, one that comes to mind is after 11 there is not another one until the middle of 13 with a fairly high speed blind section around 12 where a disabled car could be an issue.  There are a few others like that, and a couple of the stations will probably have to be double manned to assure quick response in the event of an incident.  

I watched the camera on the live feed. First thought after seeing the speed you carry down the front "un-straight" as @Pauliecalled it. If something happened all the momentum is coming right at the pit lane, they need a beefy catch fence.

Second thing I noticed was 2 cars hit the wall in the same spot about 30' from the tire barrier....im betting from what everyone says about the owner things are getting addressed ASAP.

Great show everyone put on!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

couple of the stations will probably have to be double manned to assure quick response in the event of an incident.  

I would say all the stations need to have more than one person.   Radio in, incidents, PUY, General FuXXery, wave flags and push Flagtronics buttons all while more you know what is coming down the pipe.    No way one person can do all of it effectively.     This goes for all tracks, not just Ozark

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

If something happened all the momentum is coming right at the pit lane, they need a beefy catch fence.

I think we were the only car to spin on the "unstraight" during the weekend.  Two cars trying to occupy the same racing surface and we got tapped on the left rear putting the car in what was feared to be a wall banger.  Luckily the banking and an alert driver (or just lucky maybe) kept it off the wall.  Apparently the banking helps but it's not going to always be that fortunate.  Definitely going to need a fence.

• Like 1

That was absolutely an epic save!  Right in front of our (and your) pit.

I was sure there was gonna be 1 or 2 totalled cars from that.  

Got on the brakes with a quickness and didn't roll.  Well done!

• Like 2