Arrive and drive costs

3 minutes ago, Elliottfan53 said:

What is the average price range for arrive and drives??

Average? Not a easy question, some teams are $400-500 for a 2ish hour run, others (generally, but not necessarily heavy hitters) could be $1700 for the same, although, the higher prices usually are all inclusive (rent/fuel/food/sleeping accommodations)

• Thanks 1

I split costs and drive time equally with my “renters”. It’s usually $1000-1200. I was quoted $1500-2000 for a weekend from several teams pre covid. No catering or lodging included. With the price of fuel these days I bet $1500 would be a minimum for the weekend and that would likely require you to assist on pit stops and find your own accommodations. The top end is unknown as people/teams will cater to drivers every whim for a price. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TimS said:

I split costs and drive time equally with my “renters”. It’s usually $1000-1200. I was quoted $1500-2000 for a weekend from several teams pre covid. No catering or lodging included. With the price of fuel these days I bet $1500 would be a minimum for the weekend and that would likely require you to assist on pit stops and find your own accommodations. The top end is unknown as people/teams will cater to drivers every whim for a price. 

Definitely need to raise my price when the rare seat gets rented.

• Like 2

$1500 for a 2 stint weekend. Might even need to come up from there with fuel prices right now. And that's more along the lines of a "weekend teammate" experience where you're helping with pit stops and feeding yourself. The full service red carpet chill in the air conditioned RV until your stint experience is likely much more.

Along these lines, I'd also be curious to learn what different teams are doing for a "car out of the race before renter gets to drive" scenario. Full refund? Partial refund? No refund?

My team's actual costs (not including food or lodging) are typically between $600-700 per 2-hour stint.  That's just including the entry fee, tires, fuel, and whatever parts were used in prep for or during (repairs) the race.  We don't typically rent seats, so I'm not sure how much we'd mark it up.  But just another data point for this thread.

• Like 3

You have to account for a lot - including wear and tear on tow rig, trailer, MRO (time and materials for maintenance, repair, overhaul) on the car.  In addition to the obvious.  I'm a believer of the $600-700 per stint estimate, maybe higher depending on the car.  Could be more / less depending on how much gets refreshed between races on the car.  Plus how many spares you invest in to keep it running and drag to the track to make sure any paid drivers get their stint.  

• Like 3

• Technical Advisory Committee
34 minutes ago, Todd K said:

You have to account for a lot - including wear and tear on tow rig, trailer, MRO (time and materials for maintenance, repair, overhaul) on the car.  In addition to the obvious.  I'm a believer of the $600-700 per stint estimate, maybe higher depending on the car.  Could be more / less depending on how much gets refreshed between races on the car.  Plus how many spares you invest in to keep it running and drag to the track to make sure any paid drivers get their stint.  

Good points about all the time that goes into preparation, as well as the amount of money spent to keep spare parts on hand. 

• Like 3

For  our team we typically add up  all of the costs incurred to prep the car for the event (this would be tires, brakes, oil, occasional wheel bearing, etc.)  plus fuel and entry fee and we typically end up at a total cost of just under $4K per race (14hr races).  You could probably get 8 total stints out of the event but that might be hard depending on weather delays, red flag, etc. . Regardless if you did $4K/4 people you would be right at $1K ea, but this again is raw costs and does not include any major items or wear replacement costs (for example we had to rebuild our rearend last race and that was a large bill, not may places will work on a corvette dana 44).   

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, smitham32803 said:

For  our team we typically add up  all of the costs incurred to prep the car for the event (this would be tires, brakes, oil, occasional wheel bearing, etc.)  plus fuel and entry fee and we typically end up at a total cost of just under $4K per race (14hr races).  You could probably get 8 total stints out of the event but that might be hard depending on weather delays, red flag, etc. . Regardless if you did $4K/4 people you would be right at $1K ea, but this again is raw costs and does not include any major items or wear replacement costs (for example we had to rebuild our rearend last race and that was a large bill, not may places will work on a corvette dana 44).   

yeah that's how our math works out too.  When we have an expensive item, like an engine rebuild, then we spread the cost over a few races.

• Like 2

My math was always simple cost of all consumables to get the car through the event - tires, fuel, entry, brakes, towing fuel & tolls etc.  All included.  Also included - hotels for crew, food for everyone.  Wear and tear and cost to do the prep is not included.  But at the end of the day, I keep what we don't use so I have used brakes, hubs, tires etc that I can do what I want with.  Take the total, divide by the number of drivers.  Unless there is some oddity where someone didn't end up driving much we don't separate it out by drive time. 

4 hours ago, obscene said:

Along these lines, I'd also be curious to learn what different teams are doing for a "car out of the race before renter gets to drive" scenario. Full refund? Partial refund? No refund?

We had to address this for three drivers at Daytona. Technically my contract would allow for "no refund," but I believe that is bad business and it is core to my team to treat others well. I lost $$$ at Daytona, but I did right by others and that was far more important.

I talked with each renter and created an individualized solution. Ranging from refund, to credit towards future race, to converting their rental cost into membership dues for team membership. 

• Like 10

Costs are 250 to 400 USD per hour depending on towing distance. 

I refund 50% if someone doesn't get driving time. Knock on wood, hasn't happened yet. 

• Like 4

I've seen rates in the $500/$1000 per hour range.  Expect something fast and well prepped at the top end of the range.  There are really good teams out there charging less though. 

The mighty Saturn runs us about $250 per hour - might be a bit more these days with inflation.  We're not renting seats either.

• Like 2

Wow, I might need to start charging more!

I'm usually at about 1500 for 2 stints.

Most / all of my drivers are car owners.  The money I get is already spent once I get to the track.  No refunds.  I'm already losing money each race.  The drivers understand this as they have been in the same boat.

However, the car is fast and reliable, so I haven't had to worry about that too much.  I have given disco7nts or more track time for the next event.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Wow, I might need to start charging more!

I'm usually at about 1500 for 2 stints.

Most / all of my drivers are car owners.  The money I get is already spent once I get to the track.  No refunds.  I'm already losing money each race.  The drivers understand this as they have been in the same boat.

However, the car is fast and reliable, so I haven't had to worry about that too much.  I have given disco7nts or more track time for the next event.

We were $1650 forever but now feel  forced, yes forced, to go sticky rubber (and more brake pads) to merely keep the same speed gap, this has us closer to $2000 for the same 4-5 hours 

We run 3 drivers, because semantics, none of us pay exactly the same. 

• Like 2

The first year I had 3 engine failures. Two during the test day before the race by the same rental/friend driver. Each time all drivers got a few laps during practice. Last time the other 3 drivers demanded a full refund including the driver who lunched 2 engines. None of us are friends any longer but I paid them all in full. Now I am upfront with the guys I race with. 50% upfront pay the remainder after the race. If there is any issue don’t pay. The great thing is the 3 friends I have met through Champcar and this forum usually pay in full before the race, buy tires, rent AirBnb places, buy fuel, find crew, etc. They are great friends and I couldn’t do this without them. We all understand that stuff can and does happen. Finding real Teammates that understand how racing works is difficult but it really makes all the work worth it 

• Like 20

I charged 1k for 2 stints at Barbers and Road Atlanta with an understood no refund policy. I haven't felt I could charge more because of the short race history with less than ideal reliability of our car. Once we get a few more quality races under our belt I'm sure the price will go up. 

-Sam  

• Like 2

On 5/2/2022 at 4:59 PM, veris said:

Costs are 250 to 400 USD per hour depending on towing distance. 

I refund 50% if someone doesn't get driving time. Knock on wood, hasn't happened yet. 

It is worth noting this was based on 2018 to 2021 fuel prices.  2022 will cause some costs to go up. 

• Like 1

This is from another section of this forum. Gives you good insight on the costs for arrive and drive programs. Most teams don’t advertise the costs but looks in line with current rates. Give them a call. Cars look very nice and they are fast. 

“Still have some seats available for WGI. $2250 full arrive and drive. Proven, fast cars! Recent A class podium at Sebring.“

IMG_0999.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TimS said:

Most teams don’t advertise the costs but looks in line with current rates.“

I have seen both and see the possible benefits of both ways, but I have solidly settled for listing my rates and being transparent. It is one of the reasons I have really liked the new seat4.sale website as my way of renting seats. 

On 5/9/2022 at 10:01 AM, TimS said:

This is from another section of this forum. Gives you good insight on the costs for arrive and drive programs. Most teams don’t advertise the costs but looks in line with current rates. Give them a call. Cars look very nice and they are fast. 

“Still have some seats available for WGI. $2250 full arrive and drive. Proven, fast cars! Recent A class podium at Sebring.“

IMG_0999.jpg

Pay bottom dollar get matching experience and - or results... If you desire great results, experience, performance it's probably best to invest in proven performance and very intelligent knowledgeable guys.  JMO so take it for what it's worth. 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 10:01 AM, TimS said:

IMG_0999.jpg

Hey, thanks for the shout out! Transparency is paramount for us. Our customers should know right from the start exactly what to expect for cost and what exactly it gets them. We expect the same transparency back from our customers in terms of what kind of experience they are looking to get. I can provide some insight that prepping a car to the highest level incurs a LOT of costs. Rent low cost, and there is a high likelihood you get a low quality experience. This is not an absolute, but again the likelihood your experience is poor is high. Or, rent low, and get lucky that you're renting from someone who hasn't done a full tally of their costs yet. 🙂

• Like 3