2022 Oklahoma Enduro results and images

• Bill Strong changed the title to 2022 Oklahoma Enduro results and images
  • Technical Advisory Committee

Congratulations to @CoachMK21for your Saturday win along with another podium on Sunday. I wasn’t able to follow as closely as I’d like, looks like Sunday’s finish was very close. 
We were pitted next to your team at PIRC in 2015 when you ran the Volvo, and have always followed your races and comments on here. It’s great to see your team have this success. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcoppola said:

Congratulations to @CoachMK21for your Saturday win along with another podium on Sunday. I wasn’t able to follow as closely as I’d like, looks like Sunday’s finish was very close. 
We were pitted next to your team at PIRC in 2015 when you ran the Volvo, and have always followed your races and comments on here. It’s great to see your team have this success. 

**Wall of text alert.  This became bigger than I intended.**

Thanks Mike!  Maybe @jkrueger (it's his car and he runs the "South" team) will chime in at some point with his thoughts, but from my standpoint it couldn't have been much better.  I thought we'd be pretty competitive, but after the test day on Friday it was obvious that we couldn't win on pure speed.  We only had the 12th fastest lap on Saturday and 10th on Sunday.  However, we were really consistent, had really good pit stops and strategy and only had two 4-wheel offs, which lost only like 8 seconds total.  That's always JC's philosophy.  Run as fast as you can without making mistakes.

@Josh Jach started on Saturday and steadily moved up through the field from 11th to 3rd, but if I recall correctly, we were 2 laps down to 2nd (Basil Weenie) and 2 more laps down to the leader (Wheels America).  The CU Boulder team was certainly in mix too, but they could only make it about 90 minutes on fuel, so they needed an extra stop. I was the second driver and did really well to maintain 4th, but moved to 2nd after Wheels America had issues and pitting after a few other contenders.  I had a 4-off into The Bitch when CU-Boulder slowed and Viking Chug slowed A LOT on the racing line.  I had to take evasive action and went outside to avoid, but only lost 7 seconds.  Mike Seningen went out next and held 2nd place through a mostly uneventful stint.  JC drove last and like I said, he couldn't hear us in the pits, but he could talk to us.  There was some action in this round of pit stops for the other teams.  Basil Weenie was leading but had an issue and lost a few laps and the off strategy CU-Boulder took the lead, but had to pit, which moved us to the lead.  The PTS BWM was all over JC for the first 30 minutes and had a bouncy 4-off on the exit of turn 1 didn't lose hardly any time.  He eventually pulled away and even lapped them with about 15 minutes remaining.  CU-Bolder passed us to unlap themselves and also got past PTS to take 2nd.  It was pretty awesome to win - no doubt about it.

Sunday, we knew we'd start a lap down, so our philosophy didn't change to run as fast as we could and not make mistakes.  We also knew we could make 2-hours on fuel, so we kept our pit strategy flexible to try to take advantage of any full course cautions.  JC went first this time and moved up from basically last to 2nd over the course of his stint.  We were the last to pit of the top teams, and were able to hold on to 2nd though the stop for Mike, but were 2 laps down to Basil Weenie.  Again, Mike ran solid and had another uneventful stint to keep us in 2nd and we pitted pretty late compared to the other teams.  Josh went out third and really closed the gap to Basil Weenie.  There were a pair of very short FCYs which got Josh to within 25 seconds of Basil Weenie and on the same lap.  Then he went on full attack mode and chased them down.  He took the led, but then made a small mistake on the exit of T5 and Basil Weenie took the lead back.  However, that was short lived and Josh got back by.  They pitted right after that, so we kept out plan to drive long and look for another FCY.  But at 1:53 into Josh's stint, we came for our final stop.  The next 5 minutes changed the race.  With about 40 seconds left in our stop, another FCY came out and I got stuck at pit out, waiting behind the pace car to pick up Basil Weenie (the on track leader).  I think technically we were still the leader when I got to pit out, but the pace car was blocking pit out.  Had I been released, I eventually would have been at the back of the pack in 1st, but nearly a full lap ahead of Basil Weenie in 2nd.  Not 100% of that.  However, what happened was we actually lost a lap by being held there and were directly behind Basil Weenie.  ChampCar decided give us the lap back, so we were back on the lead lap.  

After a few FCY laps, they accelerated hard as soon as the pace car pulled into pit in.  Not sure how that actually should have happened.  Yellow flags were still out at T10.  Anyways, they gapped me pretty good on the front straight, extending their lead to just over 6 seconds after several laps.  Then I was able to get in a rhythm and bring the gap down to 1.9 seconds.  He was having some tire lock up issues into T2, where as our Boxster was great on the brakes, which helped us.  However, a few small mistakes added up and then I was under a lot of pressure from some faster lapped cars (Wheels America, CU-Boulder & Viking Chug) so I tried to let them by without losing too much time - which didn't work out at all.  I think I lost around 11 seconds in the 3 laps I let them by.  Looking back I should have just kept them back there the best I could.  Either way, finishing 2nd was awesome and a great way to close out the weekend.

The live stream worked well on Sunday.  Saturday was pretty choppy after the opening stint.  I know our family members really liked watching.  Hopefully this weekend I can get some time to go through all the video and post up some.

• Like 2

Sunday:

Had some issues in the morning but after that everything went perfect and ended up in 5th!

Also I think we where on the same lap as Liquid A$$ in the end. I wished I had pushed harder, could have gotten us a 4th place but I played it safe.

Car was a rocketship, first time on that track so held back a little but would be fun to go back on a track day and go balls to the walls.

@CoachMK21 Regarding the point by, I agree that you shouldn't have let us by. I slowed down a little during the end of the race for tactical reasons and I believe I let you by again, but sorry if that caused issues for you. I had a similar scenario where I pointed by a car and I got screwed over it. It's difficult, you want to be nice to your fellow racers but at the same time not have it affect your own race.

Saturday:

Our coolsuit didn't work and that severely affected us, none of our drives could complete their stints and we all felt pretty bad after driving. We parked the car and fixed the suit. I have driven in hot weather before without coolsuit but this was brutal. Maybe the new window net somehow blocks all airflow thru the car. 

Overheating is no joke!

• Like 2