Help needed - Newbie Watkins Glen

I am new to iRacing and the ChampCar league and was looking to get some help. I am an HPDE guy looking to get geared up to go racing next year. I have been using iRacing to practice at my home track primarily but I wanted to join the race series to learn about driving in a more competitive environment, using the mirrors, etc. 

my problem is learning the tracks fast enough to be able to keep up with the group. I am running 2:16 at Watkins Glen this week. With a family I don’t have a ton of time to devote to practice.

Do you guys have any good resources to learn the track? I am using the AIM software for telemetry. If anyone would be willing to share a session of data I’d love to see where I’m losing time. 

Welcome to car racing. I think this is the biggest hurtle in our series.  Unless there is a test and tune days next to impossible to get seat time before the race. Even test and tune days ($200 to $500) with inspection is kind of a wash out if you have to fix something from tech.  Do like a lot of newbies do. Turn the first day into a long test day. Get everyone in and on the track. 10 minute pit stops. Just ease into it. Then Sunday you can try to race and be competitive. This is a race of reliability not flat out speed. After several trips to the same track the butterflies in your stomach and death grip on the steering wheel is a little more relaxed. Hope this helps and just my experience in Champ Car. Best place and price  for wheel to wheel racing.

Edited by 333 Kinkle

5 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I am new to iRacing and the ChampCar league and was looking to get some help. I am an HPDE guy looking to get geared up to go racing next year. I have been using iRacing to practice at my home track primarily but I wanted to join the race series to learn about driving in a more competitive environment, using the mirrors, etc. 

my problem is learning the tracks fast enough to be able to keep up with the group. I am running 2:16 at Watkins Glen this week. With a family I don’t have a ton of time to devote to practice.

Do you guys have any good resources to learn the track? I am using the AIM software for telemetry. If anyone would be willing to share a session of data I’d love to see where I’m losing time. 

1) Go to the practice race the week before, save the replay, study what the leaders are doing

2) Do some searching on YouTube.  This won't help on every race, but I have found multiple track guides for Production Car challenge to help with some of the other cars we run in this league.  You can always watch last years broadcast (all the CCiS races are on YouTube), while that is hit and miss as far as seeing all the corners, at least you can get some ideas.  Here is an older example but fundamentals are close. 

3) I believe you can also ride along with someone while they are in the practice session. 

Other than being fast, there are other things to consider - this might be worth a read:

And lastly - don't worry about being fast at first.  We have a wide range of skill in CCiS - just like the real thing. 

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help and encouragement. The replay and ride along is perfect. 

I am definitely hoping to get to an in person event soon but hopefully I’ll be able to keep up with you guys in the meantime. 

anyone else using data/telemetry in iRacing? AIM, VRS or otherwise?

15 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help and encouragement. The replay and ride along is perfect. 

I am definitely hoping to get to an in person event soon but hopefully I’ll be able to keep up with you guys in the meantime. 

anyone else using data/telemetry in iRacing? AIM, VRS or otherwise?

I will share my data with you but not sure when I will have time to create it. 

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I will share my data with you but not sure when I will have time to create it. 

That would be amazing! I know it is overkill as I’m just getting started but I enjoy looking at the traces. I think I am overslowing in most of the corners and losing momentum. I’ve been watching lots of videos but it would be fun to compare to someone to see progress in particular turns.

Thanks again!