Brimmed Fuel Tank and Cap leakage Issues

veris

At my last race we brimmed the fuel tank and had some leakage issues on right hand turns from a non venting cap.  The cap even has a rubber seal. This was unexpected and took about 5 laps to resolve. 

Is anyone else having this issue? What are folks doing to resolve this?

10 hours ago, veris said:

At my last race we brimmed the fuel tank and had some leakage issues on right hand turns from a non venting cap.  The cap even has a rubber seal. This was unexpected and took about 5 laps to resolve. 

Is anyone else having this issue? What are folks doing to resolve this?

Was it coming out the cap or the vent and how certain are you of your answer?

I crewed for a team who had a torn cap gasket and it was leaking fuel. Check the gasket condition and make sure it is sealing well, maybe it has shifted or isn't sitting quite where it should.

• Like 1

We had leakage out the vent, it would happen about 15 minutes after leaving the pit on a full tank.  On a rebuild about 3" of return hard fuel line ended up near the exhaust, about 1" apart.  It was enough to heat the fuel tank and start spewing fuel out the vent which was just a long hose.  The fix that night was to put some insulation on the line and it solved the problem.  Afterwards we added a catch tank on the vent (as there should be) as well as moved the fuel line, never a problem again.

Other one time issues we had: an inattentive teammate put the gas cap on but only one of the hooks was engaged so it felt like it was properly installed but it wasn't and leaked a lot, essentially the cap was cross-threaded.  The rubber gasket was old and brittle, it had a chunk missing and leaked at another race.

Can you fill it and jack the car up enough to see if it will leak in a static condition?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Other one time issues we had: an inattentive teammate put the gas cap on but only one of the hooks was engaged so it felt like it was properly installed but it wasn't and leaked a lot, essentially the cap was cross-threaded.

Oh good idea! We had this problem one time as well. If it's the same guy fueling each time he may have removed it at the next stop and not even noticed it was wrong.

2 hours ago, enginerd said:

Was it coming out the cap or the vent and how certain are you of your answer?

I crewed for a team who had a torn cap gasket and it was leaking fuel. Check the gasket condition and make sure it is sealing well, maybe it has shifted or isn't sitting quite where it should.

I didn't see it, but we have an ATL discriminator valve and then 4 feet of venting. Could it come out of the discriminator valve?

The gasket looked ok. It is an odd issue. 

2 hours ago, Ron_e said:

We had leakage out the vent, it would happen about 15 minutes after leaving the pit on a full tank.  On a rebuild about 3" of return hard fuel line ended up near the exhaust, about 1" apart.  It was enough to heat the fuel tank and start spewing fuel out the vent which was just a long hose.  The fix that night was to put some insulation on the line and it solved the problem.  Afterwards we added a catch tank on the vent (as there should be) as well as moved the fuel line, never a problem again.

Other one time issues we had: an inattentive teammate put the gas cap on but only one of the hooks was engaged so it felt like it was properly installed but it wasn't and leaked a lot, essentially the cap was cross-threaded.  The rubber gasket was old and brittle, it had a chunk missing and leaked at another race.

Can you fill it and jack the car up enough to see if it will leak in a static condition?

I'll try that. Thanks. re: static test. 

Maybe it wasn't sealed tight.  Someone else filled that car as I was coming out. 

Edited by veris
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...