55.   TOP GARAGE RACING 526 2000 BMW 323i
56.   Treasure Coast Miata 74 1994 Mazda Miata
57.   Treasure Coast Miata 965 965 1994 Mazda Miata
58.   TRUCUTRU RACING 575 2000 MAZDA K-MIATA
59.   Valyrian Sterl 988 1996 Mazda Miata
60.   Wankel werx 778 1979 Mazda Rx7

• Administrators
16 hours ago, MiniRacer26 said:

Hey Bill, what happened to the 14 hour event? I see a 10 hour race in December as well. We are hoping to be ready for the July event with the new car. 

Gotta talk to the boss about that. info@champcar.org

1 hour ago, Todd K said:

Any update on if there will be a practice day on Friday?  I believe since PBIR closed they had the HOD franchise and nothing scheduled for Sebring per my conversation with Adam after PBIR.

Traditionally there are few races w/practice included, Sebring is one without. Have also not heard from Adam since...

• Like 1

Hello all,

Since the first round of Sebring info came out, I have a few comments/questions:

• The supps linked in the email still have the December date on them and show HOD doing the practice day.  Is it accurate or did someone forget to update the link? EDIT - The link at the top of this thread is correct.
  • I generally bring my wife and kids to these events but obviously can't list my kids as crew and just get weekend memberships for my wife because sometimes she can't make it out.  The email wants everyone possible to be listed as crew to give Sebring a list of people.  Is this going to be/cause an issue?

Thanks, looking forward to getting on track again!

Edited by krispykritter

• ChampCar Staff
On 6/1/2022 at 2:04 PM, Todd K said:

Any update on if there will be a practice day on Friday?  I believe since PBIR closed they had the HOD franchise and nothing scheduled for Sebring per my conversation with Adam after PBIR.

So we had planned to run the practice format with HOD as we had in the last race. But with the franchise change we lost that connection with Adam and the HOD staff.

But, I had already booked the Friday as a ChampCar date to make sure we had it. So, since I have the date booked, I'm going to run the practice day Friday. And since it would be super uncool to change the pricing, I'm just building the practice day into the event.

I'm also going to adapt the formatting some. At Ozarks we let teams take out personal vehicles for a few laps and got great feedback on that so we're going to do it again. The first session, probably 9am-10am (ish) I'm going to let teams take out personal vehicles. This means if you want to load everyone in the minivan and discuss the track you can. This will be slow, maybe 35-40mph, but it will allow you see the track together as a team. 

After that we'll do our usual passengers and point-by passing before lunch, then no passengers and open passing after lunch.

Look for more details as we get closer to the race date, but that's basically how it's going to look.

The 14-hour. Some of you have asked about the 14-hour event. I'll try to keep this short. We got bumped off our original date, but the track has worked with us to get two-dates again. This year our other race date falls right on New Years Eve. The hotel at the track, the Seven, hosts a New Years Eve party each year. Many of you (my staff as well) often deal with balancing family events and race dates. So rather than make you chose between racing and celebrating New Years, I've set the race at 10.5 hours so you can do both. Bring your family with you, run a terrific race at an awesome track, have time to get cleaned up and enjoy dinner, drinks, and dancing with your family at the banquet hall. That's my plan!

Next year when the dates move a bit we'll bring back the 14-hour format. But his year bring your family and celebrate New Years with us!

Thanks,

Dana

• Like 4

• ChampCar Staff
On 6/2/2022 at 10:02 AM, krispykritter said:

Hello all,

Since the first round of Sebring info came out, I have a few comments/questions:

• The supps linked in the email still have the December date on them and show HOD doing the practice day.  Is it accurate or did someone forget to update the link? EDIT - The link at the top of this thread is correct.
  • I generally bring my wife and kids to these events but obviously can't list my kids as crew and just get weekend memberships for my wife because sometimes she can't make it out.  The email wants everyone possible to be listed as crew to give Sebring a list of people.  Is this going to be/cause an issue?

Thanks, looking forward to getting on track again!

The email wants everyone possible to be listed as crew to give Sebring a list of people.  Is this going to be/cause an issue?

So, yes sort-of-kind-of. More and more tracks are asking us to provide a gate list of participants prior to the event. To explain we have to back-up to the beginning. When we book a track one of the first questions is whether the event is classified as a spectator or non-spectator event. That question defines how the event is insured and staffed and it makes a huge (and I am not kidding here about huge) difference in pricing. Because we are a member owned club, we are only insured for the use of our members. You can see how the word member defines everything.

What starts to happen with a lot of events (not ours, just across the industry) is that groups sign up as non-spectator but then they don't control the gate and general people come in to watch whatever is going on. People who are not participating and not associated with a specific team are known as spectators, and that gets everyone sideways with the insurance people. 

So we're trying to meet two objectives. 1. Our insurance requirement that everyone be a member. 2. A track's requirement of a gate list. 

The easiest way to meet both is to have everyone on your team listed in advance.

But, we know that's not always possible. So, most tracks, including Sebring, will allow us to admit some additional people provided they are associated with a specific team and that they have a role in the team. So if the extra people are able to state what team they are with and what they are doing, the gate will let them in. 

Also, I usually suggest that if your extra people are not arriving until Saturday, go ahead and get them their wristbands on Friday so they already have their bands when they arrive. It does make the gate process easier.

I hope that made sense, I know it's a long answer, but I hope it explains some of the backstory.

Thanks,

Dana

Edited by DuncanDana
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2022 at 9:54 AM, DuncanDana said:

So we had planned to run the practice format with HOD as we had in the last race. But with the franchise change we lost that connection with Adam and the HOD staff.

But, I had already booked the Friday as a ChampCar date to make sure we had it. So, since I have the date booked, I'm going to run the practice day Friday. And since it would be super uncool to change the pricing, I'm just building the practice day into the event.

I'm also going to adapt the formatting some. At Ozarks we let teams take out personal vehicles for a few laps and got great feedback on that so we're going to do it again. The first session, probably 9am-10am (ish) I'm going to let teams take out personal vehicles. This means if you want to load everyone in the minivan and discuss the track you can. This will be slow, maybe 35-40mph, but it will allow you see the track together as a team. 

After that we'll do our usual passengers and point-by passing before lunch, then no passengers and open passing after lunch.

Look for more details as we get closer to the race date, but that's basically how it's going to look.

The 14-hour. Some of you have asked about the 14-hour event. I'll try to keep this short. We got bumped off our original date, but the track has worked with us to get two-dates again. This year our other race date falls right on New Years Eve. The hotel at the track, the Seven, hosts a New Years Eve party each year. Many of you (my staff as well) often deal with balancing family events and race dates. So rather than make you chose between racing and celebrating New Years, I've set the race at 10.5 hours so you can do both. Bring your family with you, run a terrific race at an awesome track, have time to get cleaned up and enjoy dinner, drinks, and dancing with your family at the banquet hall. That's my plan!

Next year when the dates move a bit we'll bring back the 14-hour format. But his year bring your family and celebrate New Years with us!

Thanks,

Dana

Does the 'orientation laps'  include crew members or only drivers?  Also what is the policy for minors?  Thanks for all the hard work.....it's appreciated!

On 6/4/2022 at 8:15 AM, DuncanDana said:

The email wants everyone possible to be listed as crew to give Sebring a list of people.  Is this going to be/cause an issue?

So, yes sort-of-kind-of.

I hope that made sense, I know it's a long answer, but I hope it explains some of the backstory.

Thanks,

Dana

Thanks Dana, that does help.  I'll plan to get wristbands in advance for anyone planning on coming in the future, and the explanation is definitely appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Supps updated with test info.

https://champcar.org/register/supplementalrules/494.pdf

ChampCar is the sanctioning body for the HPDE/Test Day

9-9:30, passenger cars, 35mph max. Teams can go out as a group. No passing, none.

10-10:45, 11-11:45, race cars, passengers allowed, point-by passing the straights only.

1-1:45, 2-2:45, 3-3:45. Open passing, no passengers

Are long pants required in the pit stalls, hot pits only? (Obviously fueling is a different set of rules).  I didn't see anything on the sups but thought I heard from Bill or read somewhere we now have to wear long pants.  

18 minutes ago, Todd K said:

Are long pants required in the pit stalls, hot pits only? (Obviously fueling is a different set of rules).  I didn't see anything on the sups but thought I heard from Bill or read somewhere we now have to wear long pants.  

from the supps

Clothing: Long pants are required on the cold and hot pit lane. No shorts!

• Like 1

• ChampCar Staff
On 6/6/2022 at 6:10 PM, Todd K said:

Does the 'orientation laps'  include crew members or only drivers?  Also what is the policy for minors?  Thanks for all the hard work.....it's appreciated!

So the idea behind this came out of the Ozarks race. We allowed the team drivers to go out in a single car and the feedback was terrific. As a group they were able to talk about the track and see reference points together. I'm going to try and do this where we can in the future. But the idea here is for the drivers to be able to see the track together, for an experienced driver to talk with new drivers as a group and show them things. This is not meant to drive friends and family around, it is meant for registered drivers of the event.

Thanks,

Dana

• Like 6