2022 Watkins Glen Results, pictures, and WTH happened.

• Administrators

Well that was a blur.  This was our first US Champcar race. With 100 plus cars signed up and the level of competition in the States we had goals of staying out of trouble and learning the track.  We had 3 drivers and only one had ever been to the Glen.  We said a top 25 would be awesome considering we brought a knife to a gun fight.  Aka a Chevy Cobalt.  

Both days we started mid pack.  Saturday morning in the rain I was having a blast passing cars.  Worked my way up to 6th before our first stop.  We didn’t get any luck with cautions and where the leaders were, but we managed to sneak out a 19th overall. We added a convex mirror Saturday night as we found it tough to see in our blind spot.  

Sunday we had some better luck with cautions and where the pacecar picked up the leader.  I managed to get down to a 2:20 lap.  But there’s so much traffic it’s hard to get a clear lap.  I had the fuel light coming on through the outer loop with 20 minutes to go, so I backed off. I let 2 cars go for position but with 2 laps left I said screw it and went for it. Managed to get one place back on the last lap. Finished P16 overall and P3 in B class.  

Best part is we didn’t break anything. The car ran flawlessly.  We didn’t have a single bit of contact with other cars or the Armco.

we could race again tomorrow if we could find the energy!!!!

I was super impressed by how things were run. Great job by Champcar.  I was worried about the tech lineup so we got in line super early and were through before 9am with a sticker.  

There was a pretty scary incident Saturday in the Esses that could have been way worse than it was.  I got a very brief flash of yellow on my FT in turn 1.  By the exit of turn 1 it was back to green.  I was flat through the Esses and just after the left hander there was a massive crash with debris everywhere and two cars into the Armco.  I went the next full lap expecting to see a FCY.  I went through the incident again and there was no yellow at all. I started calling in to get someone to find an official and tell them there’s a big wreck in the Esses.  I honestly don’t know how the whole field made it through there under green with more carnage.  I guess maybe it’s a marshal blind spot but man was that scary.  

So glad we made the trip down.  Checked off the bucket list for sure.  Now to decide which race to go to next.  

66F87D4A-79C2-496C-ABB8-A18F661499AA.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
7 hours ago, jWashburn said:

Absolutely the most important question.  Weren't there porta-pottys on pit last year?  I remember there were two by the grandstands?

There was one down close to pit out at the end of the stands, there was a white van kinda blocking where it was hard to see

Some things went well, others, well, we don't need to dwell on them.

A couple of key moves from Champcar this weekend - having a pair of guys act as traffic cops at the staging lot on Friday morning kept the move to the main gate from turning into a poop show.  I could see how ugly it might get and was pleased to see someone with a Champcar hat there to diffuse it.  Tech went quickly, at least for me, I drove over, barely shut off the car and was back so fast my crew thought there must be a problem.  From what I could tell most cars were out of tech line by the time the test time started at 1pm.  That was a pleasant surprise.  Kudo's to Champ on both accounts.

Now if we could work on the amount of time spent under yellow......

Here's a concept - if you see 3 or 4 cars into the wall in the same place, maybe that's not the spot to going 10-10ths?  I'm sure I gave up a little at the in-step of the boot, but I don't have any blue armco paint on my car as a result.  It sure seemed that we could count on a new incident there about every 30 minutes.  Made pit strategy easy at least.

Overall it seemed to be a good event.  Hope everyone else enjoyed it, we did.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MMiskoe said:

Some things went well, others, well, we don't need to dwell on them.

A couple of key moves from Champcar this weekend - having a pair of guys act as traffic cops at the staging lot on Friday morning kept the move to the main gate from turning into a poop show.  I could see how ugly it might get and was pleased to see someone with a Champcar hat there to diffuse it.  Tech went quickly, at least for me, I drove over, barely shut off the car and was back so fast my crew thought there must be a problem.  From what I could tell most cars were out of tech line by the time the test time started at 1pm.  That was a pleasant surprise.  Kudo's to Champ on both accounts.

Now if we could work on the amount of time spent under yellow......

Here's a concept - if you see 3 or 4 cars into the wall in the same place, maybe that's not the spot to going 10-10ths?  I'm sure I gave up a little at the in-step of the boot, but I don't have any blue armco paint on my car as a result.  It sure seemed that we could count on a new incident there about every 30 minutes.  Made pit strategy easy at least.

Overall it seemed to be a good event.  Hope everyone else enjoyed it, we did.

Yes, the guys directing traffic out of the lot were fantastic. I thought it was going to be a poop show until I saw them!!

I was in the Blue Cobalt at the end that got by you on the last lap. I was unsure of making it to the end on fuel, so I backed way off and let you by. But it seemed like you dropped pace near the end too. Were you short on fuel as well?

Maybe its the flag-tronics, but I did 4 stints between the 2 days and I didn't get passed under yellow under normal circumstances. There were a couple times where I was side x side with someone, and it was questionable who was ahead, but we both backed off, and sorted it out.  I did however get passed by about 5 cars while coming off pit-lane under yellow.  I got upto speed very quickly and tried to merge into a long line of traffic, but 5 cars didn't want to let me in front of them and blew by me through the esses.  I get that its frustrating I came out of the pits, but what was I supposed to do there?

Edited by petawawarace

20 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

WGI doesn't do hot pulls. Sorry. Had no choice.

Is that true for all clubs?  Me thinks they might have a different plan when NASCAR or IMSA shows up.

Honestly, it is pretty scary to think that if there is a problem they're going to leave you out there until the field is under control. 

They used to have the best group manning the track.  Flags were spot on, safety crews rolled fast and were happy to share the track with the racecars.  I've been past their trucks at full boat more than once.  They would watch their mirrors and keep out of the way of oncoming cars and the race carried on under local yellow and white flags.  But that was a long time ago I guess.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, MMiskoe said:

Is that true for all clubs?  Me thinks they might have a different plan when NASCAR or IMSA shows up.

Honestly, it is pretty scary to think that if there is a problem they're going to leave you out there until the field is under control. 

They used to have the best group manning the track.  Flags were spot on, safety crews rolled fast and were happy to share the track with the racecars.  I've been past their trucks at full boat more than once.  They would watch their mirrors and keep out of the way of oncoming cars and the race carried on under local yellow and white flags.  But that was a long time ago I guess.

I don't know. I only work for one club. We did not do hot pulls. FCY when safety was on track. 

Speaking of "time spent under yellow". This can be filed under the WTH Happened portion of this thread: PXL_20220528_212335540.jpg.077f81c09e55cf79b9f51ef37b7dd8fe.jpgPXL_20220528_212343420.jpg.e7103851e81f75ab83176606824494d8.jpg

This happened while under full course caution in the sole of the boot. What you see is the car after it had been hooked to the back of a truck and "straightened out". There is video of the incident, but YouToobz won't let me embed the link.

• Sad 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, B-Rad said:

This happened while under full course caution in the sole of the boot. What you see is the car after it had been hooked to the back of a truck and "straightened out". There is video of the incident, but YouToobz won't let me embed the link.

make the video public

8 minutes ago, Ben 595 said:

I'm seeing a period in the middle of 'youtu.be' I don't think that should be there.   this is why I copy and paste; I can neither type nor spell. 

good luck.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I tried to copy/paste a number of different ways without success. Pretty sure it has something to do with the way we streamed it. Since I'm able to link other videos without issue.

The hard way would be to head over to our channel (Wilson-Dailey Racing) and check out the 5/28 stream at the 39:00 mark.

Edited by B-Rad

• Administrators
Just now, B-Rad said:

Wow. You're quick! It took us a couple of days to ID the car.

I think it was the SVO Mustang.
Remember, I attend almost every race ChampCar does. I see a lot of cars.

3 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

Well Nascar never does hot pulls.

I cant speak to imsa.

According to Road America Staff they are one of the few tracks left doing hot pulls.

Point you were trying to make is we as drivers need to be better to prevent said pulls from happening correct?

• Like 3

I'm the team captain for the mustang and the driver that was in the car stated the traffic just stopped and he couldn't stop I guess he was caught off guard. Sorry about that. Hopefully it didn't ruin your weekend. No ABS and the car doesn't like to stop in the rain? He didn't know to turn down the brake bais it helps.

Matt

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

Days of long ago.  Workers have not allowed on track surface  for years now.  Trucks have been tagged by racers "going full bore".  Not really a smart thing to do, dont you agree?

5 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Well Nascar never does hot pulls.

I cant speak to imsa.

According to Road America Staff they are one of the few tracks left doing hot pulls.

Point you were trying to make is we as drivers need to be better to prevent said pulls from happening correct?

More of what do we do to be considered worthy of letting the race take place rather than doing parade laps and crashing into the back of each other.

But yes, not needing the hot pulls in the first place would probably be the best option.   

once upon a time we did a 12 hour race, 50 car field and pouring rain.   More than one hot pull, but never a FCY.  

As far as rear end collisions under caution I know that this BMW above was not the only one.  One of my drivers did a similar thing to another E36, but it was a mere tap in comparison.  We all talked about it and we got some blue, they got some yellow but o hard feelings. I know I had a lock up on Sunday and also watched a car do a nice flat spot.

so is the accordion affect due to the pace being too fast or too slow?  It often  happened in the toe of the boot.  Come around the corner and the field comes into view and they are parked.  This was the first car race I’ve ever done a standing start.  Field came to a stop, then all the boards went green.