Payout

The payouts don't cover the entry fee....

The only way to MAKE money in this is to charge a decent amount for rental seats.

In order to do that, you must have a reliable car and provide a great service.

You can make a small fortune doing endurance racing.  You just need to start with a large fortune and dwindle it down to a small fortune.  Lolz.

Payouts are for top 5 spots overall.  I believe the winner gets 1000$ in credit for the next race. Most entry fees are between $1200 and $1800....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shawnf said:

Are there race and/or pointstandings payouts? I currently race a dirt modified, trying to get some information as I plan on going endurance/sports car racing.

There are sponsors that pay actual $$ like Nissan & Mazda if you have the respective car (and have signed up with them) but as mentioned above, there is no real $$ handed out for finishing in X position, only race credits.

The early days paid dollars, but quickly it became a hassle, yes hassle when DOT pulled a competitor over, started asking pointed questions and folks answered honestly about winning payout, apparently we suddenly became "professionals" that required a truck drivers log book to tow interstate w/a half ton truck and open trailer...

We do get the best trophies, best seat time and access to the most epic race tracks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Team Infiniti I race dirt modifieds, we get paid after every race and points money at the end of the year. No Hassel at all. The only way to be considered a "professional" driver is if a car owner pays you a directly to drive the car. I've dealt with dot, it is very easy to prove, not being a professional driver.

I'm not looking to "make" money, I'm figuring out the budget needed. Payouts/race winnings are apart of that. 

Ah, gotcha...

Well, I know it costs our team about 5k for a weekend of racing.  Everybody pays about $1500 to cover all the costs.  Usually ends up being about 3 to 4 hours of seat time.

That includes entry fee, tires, brake pads, fuel, fluids, etc...

The bigger your engine and heavier the car, the higher yours costs will be.

• Like 5

On 6/11/2022 at 11:14 PM, Shawnf said:

@wvumtnbkr thank you. I've looked over the rules, I'm trying to decide if it would be best to build a car or buy one race reedy. Do you know if a NASA spec 944 for example would be in the 500 point range? 

depends on model and year, vpi is between 350 and 520. 

@wvumtnbkr thank you. I've looked over the rules, I'm trying to decide if it would be best to build a car or buy one race reedy. Do you know if a NASA spec 944 for example would be in the 500 point range? 

As a recent builder new to this series I would suggest if you can find a well sorted car with spares - it will save a lot of $$ and hassle in the long run.  If you do build something then stick with what you know and have experience with.  Otherwise you have to learn all the in/out of the chassis, availability of spare parts, etc.  Learning curve and expenses will depend on what you choose to build.  If you buy a prepped car you can probably get a lot of free knowledge from the seller which is probably as valuable as the car itself, maybe more.

Just my .02  (from a Chevy guy who decided to race Honda).

• Like 3

Yes, you can get them in the 500 point range.  Most 944 spec cars run the 1988 high compression pistons in an 85 and earlier chassis(lighter, but smaller fuel tank).  If you run the stronger engine you will need to claim the car as an 88 and the VPI would start at 400.  Spec cars usually run larger front and rear sway bars, front camber plates and an oil cooler which adds 95 points if you keep them on.  You should decide what your goal is with Champcar, is it "just to be on track", mid-pack, or pointy end of the field.  The first two are some-what easily achieved with a 944, the last one is near impossible with an 8V NA 944 (138 wheel HP in a 2600lb car don't go well together).  If you end up getting one and want any tips and tricks just let me know I'll be glad to help you through the 944 pain.  lol

• Like 7

On 6/13/2022 at 2:58 PM, Ronh911 said:

Yes, you can get them in the 500 point range.  Most 944 spec cars run the 1988 high compression pistons in an 85 and earlier chassis(lighter, but smaller fuel tank).  If you run the stronger engine you will need to claim the car as an 88 and the VPI would start at 400.  Spec cars usually run larger front and rear sway bars, front camber plates and an oil cooler which adds 95 points if you keep them on.  You should decide what your goal is with Champcar, is it "just to be on track", mid-pack, or pointy end of the field.  The first two are some-what easily achieved with a 944, the last one is near impossible with an 8V NA 944 (138 wheel HP in a 2600lb car don't go well together).  If you end up getting one and want any tips and tricks just let me know I'll be glad to help you through the 944 pain.  lol

if you claim a platform swap you must run the smaller fuel tank    rule 6.4.1