Bad Welds?

Jdufour

Hello! I’m shopping for a car. I have a car I’m considering. The roll cage welds look  horrible. I’d like to show the weld pictures to a certified tech inspector with the hopes of getting an opinion on weather the roll cage welds will pass inspection. I understand that an opinion shared would not guarantee that the roll cage would pass. If you can help, here’s my phone: 662-722-2333. Thanks for your assistance! John

24 minutes ago, Jdufour said:

The roll cage welds look  horrible. I’d like to show the weld pictures to a certified tech inspector with the hopes of getting an opinion on whether the roll cage welds will pass inspection.

Post the pictures here, there are many excellent welders on the forum who can weigh in, but it looks like you already know the answer...

55 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I am obviously not a welder, but would it be possible to clean each of those joints and refill with fresh weld?  Or is the whole cage junked? 

Yes but you have to consider the labor and price that in. You would need to grind out the thickest part of the weld at the joint, and re weld with lots of heat to really get it all to fuse properly. You can also clean and use a tig to "butter" them in, but it isn't a fun job (lots of heat and poor access).

I would expect it to cost 1k to have someone fix that, if paying a fair enough rate to get it done well.

Some of those pics make it not look so bad. Big welds aren't scary like cold welds...but there is some of both there. 

Having fixed a car like this, you do have to buy it assuming the cage will be 50/50 throw it away and start over. Be gratefully surprised and count your blessings if you don't, don't budget the project with that as a guarantee.

Sort of like buying a non running car with a new starter in the trunk....

The easiest way to fix this problem is to forget about it.  Having gone through the disappointment/uncertainty/repair of poor cage welding (from a reputable name in Texas no less)… PASS on this.  Just PASS.  

I’d bet lunch that it’s also lacking 360 welds in some very difficult spots.

• Like 1