Jump to content

2022 Sebring Sevens - Race reports


Recommended Posts

My team had a great time this weekend, thank you to the ChampCar team.

I was not to happy with my fellow racers who dont follow the rules. The drivers meetings are held for a reason, not as a bull poop time with your buddies, not something to skip because you know it all, it is for your safety and that of your fellow racers.

When the red flag came out Sunday I was just passing under the bridge before turn 1, the flag station was out of my perferial view but the flagtronics was bright red on the dash I start slowing down and a silver Miata comes blowing past me on the outside accelerating until he sees all the cars stopped on the track. When I say on the track I mean all over the track.  NO ONE  follows what is said at every drivers meeting about pulling to the side of the track. When the pace car came by to pick the leader it had to go in the grass to get around all the cars ( see the crummy picture ) how would you like it if it was an ambulance on the way to help YOU. I have friends who say racing with ChampCar and Lemons is more dangerous the real racing by professionals, I argue but things like this confirms they may be right.

I wish my picture was clearer so I could identify the guilty teams .

Screenshot 2022-07-04 163450.jpg

Edited by gundy
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, gundy said:

My team had a great time this weekend, thank you to the ChampCar team.

I was not to happy with my fellow racers who dont follow the rules. The drivers meetings are held for a reason, not as a bull poop time with your buddies, not something to skip because you know it all, it is for your safety and that of your fellow racers.

When the red flag came out Sunday I was just passing under the bridge before turn 1, the flag station was out of my perferial view but the flagtronics was bright red on the dash I start slowing down and a silver Miata comes blowing past me on the outside accelerating until he sees all the cars stopped on the track. When I say on the track I mean all over the track.  NO ONE  follows what is said at every drivers meeting about pulling to the side of the track. When the pace car came by to pick the leader it had to go in the grass to get around all the cars ( see the crummy picture ) how would you like it if it was an ambulance on the way to help YOU. I have friends who say racing with ChampCar and Lemons is more dangerous the real racing by professionals, I argue but things like this confirms they may be right.

I wish my picture was clearer so I could identify the guilty teams .

 

100% agreed here.  It's another of those things we hear repeatedly from the Champ staff, but when a red flag comes out, everyone come gracefully to a stop and gather on one side of the track so that emergency vehicles have a clear path to get to where ever the incident is.  We were stopped right behind you, I think.  Our driver said the pace car had to go around that mess on the grass to get through the field.  Quite a mess and for no real reason.

 

Will have a race summary up in a bit, but we did have our best ever race/race weekend.  Also, really, this was one of the cleanest races I've ever been in with champcar (the above mentioned red flag being an exception).  We burned so much more fuel than expected thanks to the dearth of FCYs and local yellows.  And @DuncanDana didn't have to get on the PA and yell at all of us like he did at last Sebring AND Daytona, so that's kinda a win right there.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, krispykritter said:

 

100% agreed here.  It's another of those things we hear repeatedly from the Champ staff, but when a red flag comes out, everyone come gracefully to a stop and gather on one side of the track so that emergency vehicles have a clear path to get to where ever the incident is.  We were stopped right behind you, I think.  Our driver said the pace car had to go around that mess on the grass to get through the field.  Quite a mess and for no real reason.

 

Will have a race summary up in a bit, but we did have our best ever race/race weekend.  Also, really, this was one of the cleanest races I've ever been in with champcar (the above mentioned red flag being an exception).  We burned so much more fuel than expected thanks to the dearth of FCYs and local yellows.  And @DuncanDana didn't have to get on the PA and yell at all of us like he did at last Sebring AND Daytona, so that's kinda a win right there.

Sharky 2 burned way more fuel as well, stints were cut by 15 minutes. Lot's of right pedal to the floor time. 

what a great track and fun weekend. Champcar staff did an incredible job as is the norm.

no boost looked good Sunday and the new motor sounds racy!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alrighty, race weekend summary:

 

Most of you have heard of our clutch battle (three clutches in two races).  Well, we finally just sent our flywheel off to spec and said "make it work."  They sent us back a stage 4 kevlar cluch attached to our flywheel, and in went the driveline yet again.

 

We got some last minute minor work done the Thursday before the race, then loaded the car into the trailer and headed to Sebring.  We mostly toodled around during practice trying to get as much break-in time on our clutch as possible, and discovered some shifter interference that we fixed in our garage.

Saturday, I started the race (since our clutch blew apart before I got to drive at Daytona).  The car ran very well with only the occasional stutter/misfire.  I ran a new contour track record with a 2:44.6 second lap, then handed the car over to Bob.  He also reported some stuttering but nothing too intrusive, so we kept him out.  After Bob, Ray went out and had similar complaints.  By the time Sean got it, the stutter was near constant under power, but with only 1.5 hours left, we told him to just send it.  Finally, when the checkered flag flew, we managed an incredible 11th place overall, and 3rd in C class.  In a 1998 Contour that's been racing Chumpcar since like 2011.  It felt pretty damn good!

 

Unfortunately, carbotech XP10s aren't enough to handle more than one (10 hour) race on a set, so we (by we, I mean Bob) swapped in another set of $200 brake pads, did a tire rotation, and took a close look at all our plugs, wires, and replaced the coil.  Stutter remained.  Then, I dug into our tune and adjusted AFRs.  Stutter remained.  Then, I messed with our spark dwell, which has been set to 2ms since we put the new ECU in two years ago.  I doubled it to 4ms, and viola, problem gone.  Damnit!  But at least that fixed it.

 

Sunday, we were ready to go and Sean immediately blasted right by his best lap on Saturday, eventually dropping to a 2:47.4, and reported zero misfires his whole stint.  We went through the rounds of drivers in reverse order, sending me out last with just under 2 hours to go.  Sharky 2 and Jackie's Jokers Sentra were both turning around 2:53 laps, so I set a regular 2:49 until I finally caught and passed them with about 30 minutes remaining...and got the fuel warning on the next lap!  Try as I might, I couldn't save much fuel while also keeping the damn sentra in my rear view.  When I finally got the "suction dry" warning on the LP fuel side, I had to dive into the pits for fuel with only 25 minutes left in the race =(

 

It was heartbreaking to need just a few extra gallons to finish, but would've been way worse to run dry only a few laps from the end.  With half a tank of fuel in, I drove like a madman to try and run down Sharky 2 and the sentra again while praying for them to need fuel like I had, but to no avail.  We took the checkered flag with 3 more laps completed on sunday over saturday, and only managed 17th!  The field was definitely tougher on Sunday than it had been on Saturday.  Congrats to those two for winning the fuel strategy competition!

 

Also, despite trying my absolute hardest, I only managed a best of 2:47.6 on Sunday.  For the first time in seven years of our team being together, the fastest lap for the day was set by NOT ME!  Sean edged me out, fair and square.  Very well done!

 

A couple apologies:

 

I had a really shitty pass of a BMW? through the outside of turn 1 during the last couple hours of Sunday.  Sorry about that!  I didn't have as much room as I thought and didn't mean to put you in that position.  Sorry!

 

I might've scared a Miata who yielded the inside line of turn 3 when I wasn't really ready for it, and I went a little wide on the exit.  No contact but I got closer than I liked.  Sorry!

 

We need to quiet our car down some more.  It sounds amazing (and super racy), but it's loud enough that it's quite difficult to hear the driver over the radio.  Besides that, and some more aggressive brake pads, we're ready for our next race already.  It's damn nice to have a working car after a race weekend!

 

Also, super clean race from our perspective.  Only a couple boneheaded moves that we saw and/or did.  Very few FCY or local cautions as well.  Thank you ChampStaff for a great event and other drivers for keeping it clean!  We have no idea when our next race is but we're really looking forward to it.

 

Also, just because we're so thrilled with the weekend: WE WERE THE TOP FWD CAR SATURDAY - fastest and highest placing!  Sunday, the Sentra placed higher and the integra posted a faster lap =(

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jim161c said:

Sharky 2 burned way more fuel as well, stints were cut by 15 minutes. Lot's of right pedal to the floor time. 

what a great track and fun weekend. Champcar staff did an incredible job as is the norm.

no boost looked good Sunday and the new motor sounds racy!

 

Honestly it's all in the exhaust.   We can't believe a V6 from a crossover can sound this good!  We chopped the y pipe apart to remove some ridiculous bends and welded straighter pipes to that, then 3" pipe all the way back to a single glasspack style muffler.  The noise is pretty damn good!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, krispykritter said:

 

Honestly it's all in the exhaust.   We can't believe a V6 from a crossover can sound this good!  We chopped the y pipe apart to remove some ridiculous bends and welded straighter pipes to that, then 3" pipe all the way back to a single glasspack style muffler.  The noise is pretty damn good!

As you know, I never liked the way it was factory, Did it get you any horsepower or change your tune?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

As you know, I never liked the way it was factory, Did it get you any horsepower or change your tune?

 

I've had to play with the tune a little - just a small amount more fuel in the VE table to get back to 12.8:1.  It noticeably has more power but we haven't put it on a dyno so there's no way to quantify the difference =(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Also, just because we're so thrilled with the weekend: WE WERE THE TOP FWD CAR SATURDAY - fastest and highest placing!  Sunday, the Sentra placed higher and the integra posted a faster lap =(

Congrats on having a good weekend!! We were pushing hard on Saturday and would have pulled off that TOP FWD CAR so be watching your mirrors.   Unfortunately we lost +20 minutes to contact which broke our right rear wheel - this was completely a racing incident and I appreciated the discussion / apologies afterwards.  After changing to a pair of spares with different tires (205) and brand we had to bring the car in to check for additional damage due to handling concerns - none noted and sent our driver back out to finish his stint.  Everything else went well and were super pleased to pull off the 12th overall.  Next stop - top 10!!  

 

Sunday we started out in a better position and when we had to switch drivers early, were at a comfortable 17th position.  I took over the wheel and after 1/2 dozen laps notice some fuel smell but didn't think much of it as there were a couple cars in front of me with occasional splash coming out their vents.  On I went until the flagtronics indicated black flag and I noticed my fuel gage was showing 1/2 - not good.  Pulled into the pits and couldn't figure out anything obvious so back to the garage.  Realizing I needed to get the leak properly diagnosed we spent a full 30 minutes in the garage going through everything only to finally conclude the gas cap was not properly installed and every right hander was probably dumping plenty onto the track.  That put us all the way back into +30 something'ish position so we just focused on turning laps.  With the smaller tires in the back and their tendency to step out our lap times were down a couple seconds from the first 1/2 of Saturday.  Plus our brakes were starting to give up so we had to spend most the afternoon managing them to avoid another garage visit.  I ran the last 1 hour stint to wrap up the weekend and enjoyed some good racing with a few of the other drivers - dicing it up in various corners with some exciting passing and re-passing as we swapped positions with several cars over a 5-8 lap run.  Those are great opportunities to get in some wheel to wheel action and help improve the race craft, plus the fun factor is about one notch just below winning.  Overall we pulled out a top 20 finish ending up in 19th - not too shabby considering the time loss and braking issues.

 

++++

Sorry to anyone on Sunday that may have been in our wake during the gas cap incident.  Apologies for Sharky 2 getting up on their wheel Saturday - we've got the door swirly and glad there was no damage to their car.  Our driver admittedly was at fault so he'll get stuck with CV regreasing duty before the next race......(you only know if you have a FWD how horrible that job is).

 

Thanks to:  Sharky 2 team for all the help in the pits - we were down 2 drivers (one out sick, one out for a funeral) and lost another early Sunday so appreciated all the fire bottle and fueling assistance.  Ed for his continued support, wealth of knowledge, and helpfulness.  Marc at LevelOne for some new great ideas that should help us 'up our game'.  Of course my team and our pit chief - Charlene.  The Champcar staff, Sebring workers and everyone who helps pull off these events - its a lot of work and dedication.  We continue to stay focused on the pointy end.....  

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

I’m no tuning guru, is that what it likes?seems a lil Rich to me.

 

Honestly, I ran the thing on the dyno from like 12:1 up to about 13.5:1 with virtually no power change.  Best internet wisdom is the ideal safe mixture for max power is around 12.8-13:2 or so (for NA cars).  It's all in the timing - our old engine made best power at 36 degrees of timing.  This one likes 29 degrees max.

 

I actually dropped the injection schedule by 180 degrees on the dyno and picked up like 8hp.  We use batch injection, so all the injectors on one side fire together, then 360 degrees later the other bank fires.  I did a bunch of math to find where 'optimal' injection time was, but turns out all my math didn't help any.  Lol

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Todd K said:

Congrats on having a good weekend!! We were pushing hard on Saturday and would have pulled off that TOP FWD CAR so be watching your mirrors. 

 

Sorry to anyone on Sunday that may have been in our wake during the gas cap incident.  Apologies for Sharky 2 getting up on their wheel Saturday - we've got the door swirly and glad there was no damage to their car.  Our driver admittedly was at fault so he'll get stuck with CV regreasing duty before the next race......(you only know if you have a FWD how horrible that job is).

 

Thanks, we were definitely ready for a weekend to go right for a change!  It was actually a lot of fun and surprisingly stressful counting seconds between several cars and trying to figure out when to pit and who we could catch or hold off.  We've never been that competitive before.

 

I feel the CV axle comment so bad...hell, pretty sure I smell it!

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, I want to thank Champcar for another amazing event, we always have a blast at these events and last weekend was no different. 

 

Second, does anyone know the name of the professional photographers at last weekend's event? 

 

That is all. 

 

Cheers! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2022 at 8:19 AM, krispykritter said:

 

100% agreed here.  It's another of those things we hear repeatedly from the Champ staff, but when a red flag comes out, everyone come gracefully to a stop and gather on one side of the track so that emergency vehicles have a clear path to get to where ever the incident is.  We were stopped right behind you, I think.  Our driver said the pace car had to go around that mess on the grass to get through the field.  Quite a mess and for no real reason.

 

Will have a race summary up in a bit, but we did have our best ever race/race weekend.  Also, really, this was one of the cleanest races I've ever been in with champcar (the above mentioned red flag being an exception).  We burned so much more fuel than expected thanks to the dearth of FCYs and local yellows.  And @DuncanDana didn't have to get on the PA and yell at all of us like he did at last Sebring AND Daytona, so that's kinda a win right there.

 

 

Hey Todd, I think only having 50 cars Saturday and 40 cars Sunday had something to do with cleanliness of the race...the normal 90 cars for the previous 14hr races definitely provided more choas

 

 

 

Edited by Racer7x
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, johnwilding said:

First, I want to thank Champcar for another amazing event, we always have a blast at these events and last weekend was no different. 

 

Second, does anyone know the name of the professional photographers at last weekend's event? 

 

That is all. 

 

Cheers! 

 

I think this is the guy: motorimages.com , Lyndon Fox.  I ordered some photos from him from the December 2021 race and was very pleased with the results.  I also had him add the event name and date on my photos which he did for no charge and was very accommodating and patient by providing me several iterations until I was happy with the end result.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

 

 

Hey Todd, I think only having 50 cars Saturday and 40 cars Sunday had something to do with cleanliness of the race...the normal 90 cars for the previous 14hr races definitely provided more choas

 

 

 

Ability to spread out helps but we're fine with the 90 cars as well.  Gotta keep the long game in mind and not worry too much about the occasional corner dive bomb or erratic / unpredictable racers.  We're going to race hard but not stupid - too hard to do well spending time in the garage.  It's easier to recover time for a slower lap by staying on the track rather than making a low percentage move trying to get around someone, especially with similar speed cars.  I find everyone makes mistakes and just having patience to wait a couple laps sometimes for an opportunity or find where I'm faster / slower works in the long run.  Same goes for the rest of my team.  If this were a 40 minute sprint race I'd have a different approach - but 7+ hours and when you see very few finishes with more than 1-3 cars on the lead lap; its more about overall strategy and approach than just driving fast.  Which makes it that much more challenging and fun.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We started Friday somewhat terrified and ended Sunday in the impound.  Pfingdog Racing Porsche Boxster's inaugural race was a hoot.  I thought I would answer a couple questions that we kept getting since we are a new team.

 

Pfingsten is my 13 pound Schnauzer.  Years ago, my wife made little logos off of him jumping which became little logos on all my cars, phone, and lap top.  She subsequently made shirts with the logo and the Name Pinfgdog Racing.  It stuck and now my BFF is emblazoned everywhere.   

 

What happened Saturday - We were running a minute behind the TLM BMW with less than an hour to go when the base of our gas pedal snapped and we got towed to the pits.  We lost 27 minutes with zip ties but we finished the race.  Had our pedal not snapped, we would have been first in C after the BMW lost it's transmission but hey, that's racing!

 

What happened Sunday - Well, we were first in C and fourth or fifth overall for most of the afternoon.  We were doing the math on the TLM car and we knew it was going to be tight.  I caught some contact and spun in 13 and lost about 30 seconds.  TLM car passed us with 4 laps to go.  We didn't have the pace to hold them off but it great to be in the fight.  Me and another of our drivers have to spend more time in the car to find more pace.  The car was capable of the win but we need to driver better.

 

I wanted to share one observation - When I see a white flag or a yellow flag, I came far off my pace.  I feel like maybe those flags are just a suggestion observing others I was on track with at the same time.  Again, I am new and have only completed a few races before having my own car but that was an observation.  

 

We met a ton of nice people and look forward to doing two races in the fall.  We enjoyed the banter with TLM and Six Bangerz - They both had more pace but started laps down and required more fuel.  We were all doing the math on the laps until six bangerz had issues with their new motor after doing an overnight swap.  I hated to see them go out like that after being up all night.  Cheers.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2022 at 9:33 AM, UCFJWH said:

We started Friday somewhat terrified and ended Sunday in the impound.  Pfingdog Racing Porsche Boxster's inaugural race was a hoot.  I thought I would answer a couple questions that we kept getting since we are a new team.

 

Pfingsten is my 13 pound Schnauzer.  Years ago, my wife made little logos off of him jumping which became little logos on all my cars, phone, and lap top.  She subsequently made shirts with the logo and the Name Pinfgdog Racing.  It stuck and now my BFF is emblazoned everywhere.   

 

What happened Saturday - We were running a minute behind the TLM BMW with less than an hour to go when the base of our gas pedal snapped and we got towed to the pits.  We lost 27 minutes with zip ties but we finished the race.  Had our pedal not snapped, we would have been first in C after the BMW lost it's transmission but hey, that's racing!

 

What happened Sunday - Well, we were first in C and fourth or fifth overall for most of the afternoon.  We were doing the math on the TLM car and we knew it was going to be tight.  I caught some contact and spun in 13 and lost about 30 seconds.  TLM car passed us with 4 laps to go.  We didn't have the pace to hold them off but it great to be in the fight.  Me and another of our drivers have to spend more time in the car to find more pace.  The car was capable of the win but we need to driver better.

 

I wanted to share one observation - When I see a white flag or a yellow flag, I came far off my pace.  I feel like maybe those flags are just a suggestion observing others I was on track with at the same time.  Again, I am new and have only completed a few races before having my own car but that was an observation.  

 

We met a ton of nice people and look forward to doing two races in the fall.  We enjoyed the banter with TLM and Six Bangerz - They both had more pace but started laps down and required more fuel.  We were all doing the math on the laps until six bangerz had issues with their new motor after doing an overnight swap.  I hated to see them go out like that after being up all night.  Cheers.

TBF, a white flag does not require you to come off pace. Yellow, yes. How much? Well, I can see that being debated. CC rules just state no passing. Besides a few PUY and a few too happy on the brakes, I think CC handles yellows well as a series.

 

Anyone ever been completely stopped in a traffic jam during FCY in lemons?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, BMW_CEMETERY said:

TBF, a white flag does not require you to come off pace. Yellow, yes. How much? Well, I can see that being debated. CC rules just state no passing. Besides a few PUY and a few too happy on the brakes, I think CC handles yellows well as a series.

 

Anyone ever been completely stopped in a traffic jam during FCY in lemons?

As I remeber the yellow rules as stated in the new driver meeting a few years ago-

standing yellow - 70% of your speed

Waiving yellow - 50% 

No passing until you can see the next green or now flagtronics. 

 

From what I have witnessed, the violations usually occur when 2 cars are racing hard and only focused on each other. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...