Swaps and oil pan

Hi,

Oil pans are not mentioned as part of the swap. 

For a Mazda3 FWD 2.5 swap into a Miata I need to re-use the Miata oil pan. I can't use the FWD oil pan. 

It seems like there is no clear rule on this, there is a KB https://champcar.org/tech/knowledgebase.php?article=90

It says "If you can prove that the oil pan modification is necessary for the swap it may be included on the swap sheet under cost."

Has anyone had to pay points for oil pans? 

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2022 at 1:53 AM, turbogrill said:

Hi,

Oil pans are not mentioned as part of the swap. 

For a Mazda3 FWD 2.5 swap into a Miata I need to re-use the Miata oil pan. I can't use the FWD oil pan. 

It seems like there is no clear rule on this, there is a KB https://champcar.org/tech/knowledgebase.php?article=90

It says "If you can prove that the oil pan modification is necessary for the swap it may be included on the swap sheet under cost."

Has anyone had to pay points for oil pans? 

We currently run a swap so I'll tell you what we have done.

In the beginning we ran a stock oil pan (stock to the engine that we are swapping in) which had been substantially modified to clear the front subframe though cutting, welding, and adding about 3 sq. ft. of steel. We added the price of the steel into the allotted $2500 swap cost. After several revisions we were still having problems and went with a professional aluminum pan. We have included this pan in the section of the swap paperwork "Parts needed to complete swap" https://champcar.org/web/pdf/SwapForm.pdf . This section lists engine, engine mounts, starter, etc. and has 22 additional blank spaces for (I assume) 'other parts' and so we penciled in the oil pan here and included the cost toward the $2500.

This is what we have done. We haven't been investigated by tech or competitors over this but I don't mind if someone does, I think it's valid. After specifically asking tech about 'tech practices', I can say that tech doesn't do a deep dive into the swap paperwork during annual tech, but they would if someone challenged a swap in post-race impound. Our 'worst case scenario' would be a tech ruling to assess the oil pan outside of the swap, and it would then add 20 points to our total. This would penalize us 2 laps until I found time to fabricate a new and improved, heavily modified, stock pan with added material.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, enginerd said:

We currently run a swap so I'll tell you what we have done.

In the beginning we ran a stock oil pan (stock to the engine that we are swapping in) which had been substantially modified to clear the front subframe though cutting, welding, and adding about 3 sq. ft. of steel. We added the price of the steel into the allotted $2500 swap cost. After several revisions we were still having problems and went with a professional aluminum pan. We have included this pan in the section of the swap paperwork "Parts needed to complete swap" https://champcar.org/web/pdf/SwapForm.pdf . This section lists engine, engine mounts, starter, etc. and has 22 additional blank spaces for (I assume) 'other parts' and so we penciled in the oil pan here and included the cost toward the $2500.

This is what we have done. We haven't been investigated by tech or competitors over this but I don't mind if someone does, I think it's valid. After specifically asking tech about 'tech practices', I can say that tech doesn't do a deep dive into the swap paperwork during annual tech, but they would if someone challenged a swap in post-race impound. Our 'worst case scenario' would be a tech ruling to assess the oil pan outside of the swap, and it would then add 20 points to our total. This would penalize us 2 laps until I found time to fabricate a new and improved, heavily modified, stock pan with added material.

I could always pay someone $2000 to reweld and refab the FWD oilpan to look like the RWD oilpan, or I could just take the free RWD oil pan :)

thanks!