2022 ChampCar iRacing Series: Round 9, Laguna Seca - 7/6/2022, 7/13/2022

Rapido

We're back! After a bit of a summer break, I'm sure you're all raring to get back on track in the CCiS, and what a lovely combination of flowing Californian tarmac and understeer awaits you in the VW Jetta at Laguna Seca.

It was good to see some of the community in person at CMP last month, and looking forward to seeing more of you this year as HJ get their Miata to some more ChampCar races.

Session Details

• Practice Round: Wednesday, 6-July-2022
  • Championship Round: Wednesday, 13-Jul7-2022
  • Practice Start: 6:30pm ET
  • Qualifying Start: 8:30pm ET
  • Race Start: 9:30pm ET
  • Car: VW Jetta
  • Track: Laguna Seca
  • In-Sim Session Date: Wednesday, 13-July-2022
  • In-Sim Session Start Time: 4:00pm
  • In-Sim Time Multiplier: 1x
  • Weather: Auto-Generated
  • Setup: iRacing Baseline Setup with 2.1g Fuel
  • Fast Repairs: 1
  • License Requirements: Practice Rounds (None), Championship Round (>D2.0)

Useful Links

ChampCar iRacing Series - League Application

ChampCar iRacing Series - Discord Server

2022 ChampCar iRacing Series Schedule

2022 ChampCar iRacing Series Broadcast Information Form

2022 ChampCar iRacing Series Protest Form

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

Edited by Rapido

• Rapido changed the title to 2022 ChampCar iRacing Series: Round 9, Laguna Seca - 7/6/2022, 7/13/2022

Well that was interesting.  Signed on late and had to do an update.  Got into qualifying a few minutes late and did a couple laps, my first with this car on this track.  I noticed my left side monitor wasn't on, so I turned it on and iRacing did not like that.  It sent all 180 degrees onto my center monitor.  I've had this happen before, so I knew (or I thought i did) how to fix it.  Exited out of iRacing, opened the app.ini file to make the necessary adjustments.  Except the section under DX11 was only 6 lines, instead of like 30.  I found a YT video with the lines that used to be there and began typing them in.  Restarted iRacing and it didn't fix the issue.  Exited out and tried a couple more things, but still didn't work.  I decided to set in iRacing back to 1 monitor and quickly changed a few field of view settings to at least attempt to race.  Got out for 2 qualifying laps, but the view is terrible - managed a 13th place start, out of 18 (I think).  I could see my left side mirror, but couldn't see the 1/4 of the right side windshield.  I made a couple quick adjustments on grid, but didn't have time to map a look left, look right button.  I made an announcement to the group of my lack of right side viewing.

Now for the race.  The start was bonkers in the back.  I got a really good jump, but with my limited view, I wasn't going to try to go 3 wide down the straight into 1, but it others made that happen.  I tried to stay to the left and out of the way.  Lost a couple spots in the first several turns driving conservative and fell to 17th.  Then I found myself basically on my own and could focus on just driving.  Others in front of me had some contact or other issues and after several laps I moved up to 11th.  After the 1/2 way point and pitting, I think I was in 9th.  The next lap, I got passed Patrick Pursley when he was exiting the pits.  We had some really awesome back and forth racing the rest of the race.  With 2 to go, I pulled a 1.6 second gap, but made mistake on exit of 6 and he got by me.  Finished P9.

After that, I did some more research and found a text listing of the full DX11 settings, copy and pasted them into the app.ini file.  Restarted iRacing and it was fixed.  Need to remember to make sure my left side monitor is on before starting iRacing in the future.

However, I won't be at the race next week.  Will be on an 8-day trip through Oregon starting the 12th.

In my first practice lap I noticed the brake was dragging a bit at random intervals.  Took a while to get that resolved.  Not a fan of the Fanatec pedal set the input from the brake is twitchy and I have already replaced the load cell.  Got it straightened by qualifying, managed a good lap and qualified P3.  Well early on I had a run on McCormack going up the hill, but only almost side by side and with 0 offline practice I missed my braking point and visited enough gravel on corkscrew exit to get a slowdown - which set me back to 10th.  After a few laps of not being able to move up I decided to pit early - fuel only - which gave me a good amount of open track.  After the pit cycle ended I was in P4 with Tim Weyer like 2 seconds ahead.  I slowly closed up the gap, but gave some back on a slowdown or two which opened up the gap to about 4.5 seconds.  I kinda figured it was over but I stayed with it and as the gap got back down to 2 seconds I could see he was working hard.  On the second last lap I missed one of the late corners and wrecked my chance for an overtake on the front straight.  Still I was able to close up the gap but not quite enough to make P3.  It was a good race and I was happy to recover most of the positions I lost with my lap 1 mistake.

Edited by mostmint
  • Like 1

Thanks for the nice write ups. I assume just fuel is the way to go....no tires needed at the stop? Unfortunately, I couldn't make the practice race last week, so I'm going into Wednesday night blind with no strategy. 🤠

2 hours ago, johnwilding said:

Thanks for the nice write ups. I assume just fuel is the way to go....no tires needed at the stop? Unfortunately, I couldn't make the practice race last week, so I'm going into Wednesday night blind with no strategy. 🤠

I took 2 right side tires.  I know other who took no tires and lap times were basically unaffected.  Sadly, I have to miss the race Wednesday night.

56 minutes ago, CoachMK21 said:

I took 2 right side tires.  I know other who took no tires and lap times were basically unaffected.  Sadly, I have to miss the race Wednesday night.

Bummer you can't make it! Thank you for the tip on the tires, I appreciate it! 

56 minutes ago, CoachMK21 said:

I can't make it either, good luck y'all 

With several top contenders not attending and being FWD with no auto clutch penalty, the door was open and I capitalized by qualifying P1.  I managed to get a good jump at the start and led lap 1.  Lap 2 I overcooked it going into the corkscrew and dropped to P5.  Went back and forth with a couple guys, executed a solid pit stop to leap frog back up to P2, but in the end inconsistency monster got me and I ended up P4 about 7 seconds behind Ian. 

Thanks to @cowboys647 for not pushing the matter at the corkscrew.

I can't bring myself to go back and count the slowdowns as I am quite certain that extra time could have moved me onto the podium and maybe to the top.  Throw on top of that the time I was losing in the corkscrew every lap for the second half the race since I lost my rhythm there... that's racing!

First P1 qualifying, P4 is my best finish in this league to date, and at just under 7 seconds that is my closest finish to P1. 

• Like 2