Do race suits expire?

It seems weird that my window net expires every 2 years but I can wear the same old $99 SFI suit for as many years as I want. Now, I have replaced mine about every 3 years but only because the first one started show it's age and the second one out grew me when I lost a little weight. How can seatbelts, fire bottles, window nets and helmets expire but not the one thing that keeps us from becoming roast beef?

1) Fire suits don't have a date specific certification spec.  (Turns out FIA suits do, I am used to SFI stuff) This is not the same as having an expiration date. Things like helmets (SA2015, SA2010, etc) that do represent different technology to meet each of those standards. Idea being a 2010 helmet design would not pass 2020 testing even if new, a new version of a 10 year old firesuit design would. 

2) They don't live outside like belts and nets do, so you don't see them set with expiration dates. 

3) I can rationalize how over time the ultimate yield strength of belts and nets would go down with UV exposure, and how the fire suppression material may break down over time. I don't know if exposure you would see sitting in the back of your closet would make a fireproof cloth less fireproof (excluding the crappy treated cotton ones when they are washed). 

Edited by Black Magic
  • Like 1

They will have expiration dates as soon as the industry decides there is money to be made by requiring replacement.  Window nets used to not expire, now they do, belt expirations have gotten shorter over time.  While safety is certainly a concern, so is profit $$$

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

https://blog.demon-tweeks.com/motorsport/racewear-fia-standards-2022-guide/#:~:text=This is due to exposure,the older less strict standard.

Interesting that if the suit does not have a FIA hologram it wont be allowed for FIA sanctioned events.
We have seen some really old racing suits try and go through our tech.

2 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

https://blog.demon-tweeks.com/motorsport/racewear-fia-standards-2022-guide/#:~:text=This is due to exposure,the older less strict standard.

Interesting that if the suit does not have a FIA hologram it wont be allowed for FIA sanctioned events.
We have seen some really old racing suits try and go through our tech.

Thanks Bill.  Now I've spent the last hour looking at stuff on Demon Tweeks!!!

• Administrators
4 hours ago, CoachMK21 said:

Thanks Bill.  Now I've spent the last hour looking at stuff on Demon Tweeks!!!

Great shop. I would stop by them on my business trips from Ipswich to Liverpool back in the the early 80s.