E30 Drive shaft

jim161c

I have a 1990 E30 track car that is making a clunking noise in the rear end in sharp turns. I think it is a bad drive shaft, can any of you e30 experts tell me how much slop (in and out movement) there should be on an axle when I slide it back and forth? 

The driver side axle moves right at 1.75 inches in and out when I slide it back in forth between the wheel and rear end.

The passenger side axle is new and might move 1/4 inch at most. 

I have checked the axle wheel nut and the bolts on the diff and they are all tightened to specs

Any advise would be much appreciated as I am still learning the e30's; I know on the Infinity there is minimal if any play.

Thanks! Jim

Sharky 2

Edited by jim161c

11 minutes ago, jim161c said:

even 1.75 inches? 

Thanks Chris. 

We had similar situation on in/out on our car. Lasted 2 years before we replaced due to the boot failing and not the movement. I’d look elsewhere first. 

any advise on how to check the posi to eliminate that as the issue. I checked and both wheels spin in the same direction together so posi seems good. 

wouldn't it be open if there was an issue with the rear end?  

Edited by jim161c

• Technical Advisory Committee

Not sure how you would get clunking from the internals of the diff.

Can you describe the clunking you are hearing in a bit more detail so we can help guess more effectively?

The CV has to move in-out to account for the length difference when the suspension is compressed or in droop.  The wheel moves in an arc but that arc isn't in line with the CV axle's arc so at the top of the travel the axle may need to be shorter than at the middle of the travel.  Checking when the car is in full droop does not give you the full story - i guarantee the infinity has room to move too at and around ride height, otherwise you would be killing CV's  (although my nissan experience with the tri-yoke style axles is less than sellar)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim161c said:

I have a 1990 E30 track car that is making a clunking noise in the rear end in sharp turns. I think it is a bad drive shaft, can any of you e30 experts tell me how much slop (in and out movement) there should be on an axle when I slide it back and forth? 

The driver side axle moves right at 1.75 inches in and out when I slide it back in forth between the wheel and rear end.

I have checked the axle wheel nut and the bolts on the diff and they are all tightened to specs

Any advise would be much appreciated as I am still learning the e30's; I know on the Infinity there is minimal if any play.

Thanks! Jim

Sharky 2

Are the subframe bushings in good shape? Does it make the same clunk when turning in both directions? And have you removed the loose torque wrench that's rolling around in the trunk?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chris Huggins said:

Not sure how you would get clunking from the internals of the diff.

Can you describe the clunking you are hearing in a bit more detail so we can help guess more effectively?

The CV has to move in-out to account for the length difference when the suspension is compressed or in droop.  The wheel moves in an arc but that arc isn't in line with the CV axle's arc so at the top of the travel the axle may need to be shorter than at the middle of the travel.  Checking when the car is in full droop does not give you the full story - i guarantee the infinity has room to move too at and around ride height, otherwise you would be killing CV's  (although my nissan experience with the tri-yoke style axles is less than sellar)

the clunking almost sounds like a wheel coming off.  I will put the jacks under the control arms and run it thru the gears to see if I can her anything that sounds unusual.

Sorry for not being more capable of describing the issue - I am not a tech. I will probably take it down to Ed's shop and I am sure he will be able to diagnose. I was just hoping to resolve the issue without hauling the car 3 hours. 

We have only broken one cv on sharky 2 and that occurred when I ran out of what little talent I have and hit a tire wall @PBIR 

Thanks for your help Chris, much appreciated. 

14 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Are the subframe bushings in good shape? Does it make the same clunk when turning in both directions? And have you removed the loose torque wrench that's rolling around in the trunk?

Yea the trunk was the first thing I checked - I thought the same thing originally 🙂

I will check the subframe bushings, thanks for the tip. 

10 hours ago, jim161c said:

Thanks Enginerd - the sub frame bushings are in really bad shape. That is more than likely the source of the noise

Stock bushings or poly? If they are stock you could be twisting the subframe enough with the body to maybe make that noise. Also what’s the condition of the control arm bushings? If it’s track car, put poly in all of them. If you already have poly CA bushings then I’d check and make sure the bolts are tight. We had an issue where one was loose and had some play.

Yep, I’ll be racing at AMP along with Sebring. 

2 hours ago, jakks said:

Stock bushings or poly? If they are stock you could be twisting the subframe enough with the body to maybe make that noise. Also what’s the condition of the control arm bushings? If it’s track car, put poly in all of them. If you already have poly CA bushings then I’d check and make sure the bolts are tight. We had an issue where one was loose and had some play.

Yep, I’ll be racing at AMP along with Sebring. 

Yea the sub frame bushings are stock rubber as are the control arm bushings. All look to be in rough shape. I am ordering a complete set of poly bushings to replace everything. looks like a big job! Thanks again for your help.

See you @ AMP and Sebring

53 minutes ago, jim161c said:

Yea the sub frame bushings are stock rubber as are the control arm bushings. All look to be in rough shape. I am ordering a complete set of poly bushings to replace everything. looks like a big job! Thanks again for your help.

Rear subframe bushings is probably the hardest job on an e30 (except for things like engine / transmission rebuild). It's especially hard if this is the first time they have ever been replaced, as the center pegs get corroded and stuck into the pockets.

2 hours ago, enginerd said:

Rear subframe bushings is probably the hardest job on an e30 (except for things like engine / transmission rebuild). It's especially hard if this is the first time they have ever been replaced, as the center pegs get corroded and stuck into the pockets.

sounds like fun 😞 

I looked on line to see about buying a replacement subframe and most I can find are in worse condition than mine. I guess that is all part of trying to track and race 33 year old cars. They sure do handle nice though!

everything else on the car has come apart fairly easy - BMW used some great hardware when they built the e30. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim161c said:

sounds like fun 😞 

I looked on line to see about buying a replacement subframe and most I can find are in worse condition than mine. I guess that is all part of trying to track and race 33 year old cars. They sure do handle nice though!

everything else on the car has come apart fairly easy - BMW used some great hardware when they built the e30. 

4 hours ago, jim161c said:

Highly recommend buying AKG reds if it’s solely a track car. I’d also buy new subframe mount bolts. The ones that are driven down through near the front of the rear passenger seat area. Maybe it’s the rear corners of the seat area? If you have a hard time removing the rear subframe you may bend those and it’s easier to replace than trying to straighten them. At least in my experience. Realoem.com is your friend if you’re new to BMW’s

34 minutes ago, jakks said:

Highly recommend buying AKG reds if it’s solely a track car. I’d also buy new subframe mount bolts. The ones that are driven down through near the front of the rear passenger seat area. Maybe it’s the rear corners of the seat area? If you have a hard time removing the rear subframe you may bend those and it’s easier to replace than trying to straighten them. At least in my experience. Realoem.com is your friend if you’re new to BMW’s

I haven't bent mine in 8 years and had the subframe down half a dozen times. If those bend, it's probably because you didn't remove them before removing the subframe, and it's definitely easier to remove the subframe after those bolts have been knocked through into the back seat.

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

I haven't bent mine in 8 years and had the subframe down half a dozen times. If those bend, it's probably because you didn't remove them before removing the subframe, and it's definitely easier to remove the subframe after those bolts have been knocked through into the back seat.

Pretty much….

20 hours ago, jim161c said:

the clunking almost sounds like a wheel coming off.  I will put the jacks under the control arms and run it thru the gears to see if I can her anything that sounds unusual.

Sorry for not being more capable of describing the issue - I am not a tech. I will probably take it down to Ed's shop and I am sure he will be able to diagnose. I was just hoping to resolve the issue without hauling the car 3 hours. 

We have only broken one cv on sharky 2 and that occurred when I ran out of what little talent I have and hit a tire wall @PBIR 

Thanks for your help Chris, much appreciated. 

So does it do this only when turning or when putting the car under acceleration?

22 hours ago, jim161c said:

Also, this difference between sides just doesn't sound right.  

4 hours ago, jakks said:

Thanks for the advise. I will buy the AKG reds and checkrealoem.com for replacement bolts. Taking it down to Ed's shop in a few weeks to get his help.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

Also, this difference between sides just doesn't sound right.  

Yea it seems odd. the new one has very little movement by hand where as the driver side old one is really loose. Chris said it was not an issue though and should be fine.