What manual trans fluid do you run?

Murray

I have yet to change the trans fluid in our new-to-us car. I'm curious what fluids people recommend for our kind of racing?

In the past I've had good luck with GM Synchromesh, Redline (what's it called mt90?), even some royal purple. However for all of those cars they were street cars or mixed duty street/HPDE cars. 

What does everyone run? I remember reading good things somewhere on here about Motorcraft syn something or other I think.

For what it's worth the car is a 87 supra with the 1uz swap (IPF racing's old car). It uses the weaker non-turbo transmission (Toyota W58) to keep the points down.

8 hours ago, Ian said:

We run a Liqui Moly brand GL4 Manual gearbox oil in the G.  We tried running GL5 and other gear oils, but find the synchros feel a bit crunchy.  True GL4 MT oil is getting tough to find.

MT-90 is GL4

I had many issues with manual Trans over the years.  I finally talked to ALL of the people...

For mazda transmissions, idemitsu is the best in my opinion.  It made our rx7 Trans go from lasting 2 or 3 races to like 5 or 6 years before synchro crunch.

For tremec T5 WC Trans, I talked with the guy who literally wrote the book on rebuilding and doing performance upgrades on the t5 (Paul C.).  He recommended royal purple syncromesh.   It has worked wonderfully for us for years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

For mazda transmissions, idemitsu is the best in my opinion.  It made our rx7 Trans go from lasting 2 or 3 races to like 5 or 6 years before synchro crunch.

I've flip flopped between the Motorcraft/Amsoil sauces in our nb 5spd's and have always stressed to my drivers not to shift fast (the classic miata synchro killer), but I still feel like 3rd gets crunchy earlier than it should.  Have sent a few samples to Blackstone over the years and everything always "looks good". 🙄

Which Idemitsu are you using?  I'm interested and seeing ATF and CVTF but not a manual-specific formula.