Hunsaker Jug Ball Valves - do they actually work?

tneker

We decided to upgrade from typical utility jugs to some Hunsaker jugs now that we have a fuel cell and can take advantage of the faster pours of the Hunsakers.  

After trialing once the PVC ball valve is nearly impossible to turn.  In some ways I am not surprised that the fuel would impact the seal to ball interface, but if that is the case I would be surprised Hunsaker sells some of their hose kits with these valves.

What is your experience with PVC ball valves, any lubricant stand up to the fuel exposure?

I don’t use the ball valves but I would imagine teams use them for storage. You can use the dump can without the valve. You can insert hose and turn upside down without a loss of fuel. When it comes time to refuel you open valve. Then dump fuel. 

PVC lasts about 0.75 uses before it sticks.  We use brass balls, cough, brass ball valves on our jugs for transport and control while fueling.  No issues with them in several years. Not sure if Hunsaker sells something other than big box pvc but i'd go straight to the metal ones.

image.png.a9008ee720cec387b0938fc9f1e59e05.png

• Haha 1

So I thought having valves was a must and installed them on our first set of jugs. Used them maybe a couple times and now they are never used and yes they were plastic so may never move again. On our next set of jugs no valves and work just fine, so no need in my mind.

• Like 3

On 8/1/2022 at 7:44 PM, tneker said:

What is your experience with PVC ball valves, any lubricant stand up to the fuel exposure?

Expensive Garbage... I also was drawn in by the possibility of an easy valve, basically single use. Just made my own caps/ends from a PVC fitting and End Cap.

image.jpeg.591af5d2835cce8cd70786124769eb11.jpeg

• Like 4

I have 4 jugs with PVC ball valves on them purchased from Home Depot.  3 of the 4 work great, one is a little stiff to rotate.  

I’ll say I like the valves, my complaint about the threaded caps, is you almost always destroy the threads on the can when someone doesn’t quite get it lined up right. Where the valves you never have to remove.  It also allows you to chock down the vent for slower dump on the last can of the fill.  Less chance of the fuel gushing back out at you. 

• Like 2