Headlight/tail lights

petawawarace

Just saw the new 2023 BCCR and the new lighting rules are a little tough to understand. 

Thoughts on how I understand it:

1: Car must have functioning headlights and taillights when going through tech pre-race. 

2: headlights and taillights do not need to be on during normal daytime racing. 

3: Headlights and tail lights (minimum of 2) need to be on at night and/or during rain/snow/fog. 

4: Brake lights (minimum of 2) must be operational at all times.  

So this means that if during a day race if you smash a corner, you can keep going without operational headlights.  If it starts raining you would need stop and fix the headlights.  

If that’s correct, I think it’s pretty reasonable.  I just hope you won’t get black flagged for a burnt headlight/taillight on a clear sunny day.  

I would recommend we re-write this section.  It’s pretty terrible.  

• Technical Advisory Committee

Your understanding aligns with the intent.   No intention to flag cars for headlights or tail lights unless "adverse weather" is experienced.

If you have suggestions on how to improve the clarity please share.

-Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris Huggins said:

Your understanding aligns with the intent.   No intention to flag cars for headlights or tail lights unless "adverse weather" is experienced.

If you have suggestions on how to improve the clarity please share.

-Chris

here ya go. Formatting may paste in like junk, but I think this is alot easier to understand.  Contains all the same content except for the current 9.9.6. which should really be in 4.7.2. 

9.9.  VEHICLE LIGHTING

9.9.1.  All cars must have a at least two (2), but not more than four (4) of each operational Headlights, Taillights, and Brake lights to start the race.

9.9.2  Brake lights must be easily seen from the rear and operational at all times during a race.

9.9.3.  Headlights and taillights must be used for a ½ hour before dusk during the night and a ½ hour after dawn. They must also be used during rain/wet/fog/snowy weather, or as deemed by Champcar Officials.

If the minimum number of lights is not maintained when required, the car will be black flagged and must repair the issue.  Communication with the team may occur at the discretion of Champcar Officials.

9.9.4.  All lights may be OEM or aftermarket but must adhere to sections 9.9.7 and 9.9.8.

9.9.5. Rain lights are recommended but not required. If used they must adhere to the following:

9.9.5.1.  Placement be in the vicinity of the rear license plate location only.

9.9.5.2.  Used only during rain/wet/for/snow weather.

9.9.5.3.  NOT be used at night.

9.9.5.4. If in use, light must be configured to flash at all times. 

9.9.6. Taillight and brake light lenses that may be damaged from vehicle contact are to be taped over with clear packing or other strong clear tape. Do not use Scotch tape

9.9.7.  HEADLIGHT DETAILS

9.9.7.1. All headlights must be installed such that the base of the driving light lens is NO HIGHER than six inches (6”) above the highest point of the stock front fender and, NO FURTHER BACK than the centerline of the front axle.

9.9.7.2. Headlights must be aimed properly, such that all light is directed at track level.

9.9.7.3. A single headlight is defined as:

9.9.7.1.1 CONVENTIONAL BULB: Single 60W or less H3/H4 bulb or 35W or less HID bulb.  The bulb must match the housing it was originally designed for.

9.9.7.1.2. LED FIXTURE: A single continuous lightbar or round fixture regardless of actual LED elements.

9.9.7.4. Total LED lighting must not exceed 8,000 Lumens. Teams using LED lights must have documentation to prove Lumen data.

9.9.7.5. Combined Lighting Sources: cars using a combination of BOTH H3/H4/HID and LED lights shall be limited to a maximum of 4,000 Lumens of LED lighting and no more than two lighting sources using conventional H3, H4 or HID lights.

9.9.8 TAILLIGHTS AND BRAKE LIGHT DETAILS

9.9.8.1 Taillight illumination shall be as bright or brighter than a 1034 or 1157 bulb but shall not be so bright as to overpower/ out light operating brake lights. Multi-filament and combination brake/ taillight assemblies are allowed.

9.9.9. ACCESSORY (THEME) LIGHTS

9.9.9.1. Accessory lights are NOT ADVISED on or inside any wheel assembly (as the lights are often mistaken for sparks).

9.9.9.2. Accessory lights inside the cockpit and driver compartment should be kept to a minimum. If the lighting is determined to be a nuisance to other drivers or race officials, ChampCar shall have the right to order the lights removed or turned off.

9.9.9.3. No accessory lights are to look like or be mistaken for an emergency vehicle. Accessory lights may not blink.

9.9.10.  Cars not meeting these requirements, or with improperly aimed, or blinding lights shall be black flagged and brought in to add, repair, or adjust lights to meet this requirement.

1 minute ago, petawawarace said:

Lol.  But again what does this do?  Why would you want to make a single into 2 separate ones? It doesn’t make sense.  

If anything I could see making 2 into a single one.  But even then, you still have the 8,000 lumens so what good does it do?

I can only assume it's for bracketing and mounting simplicity (and they might already own a "double-wide" LED light, which has the lumen equivalent of the two singles).

Just now, petawawarace said:

Lol.  But again what does this do?  Why would you want to make a single into 2 separate ones? It doesn’t make sense.  

If anything I could see making 2 into a single one.  But even then, you still have the 8,000 lumens so what good does it do?

Two is preferred as a driver at night because it gives you depth perception (as a driver being passed or caught)

1 hour ago, jmabarone said:

So if you have a lightbar to install for the dusk/night stint, do you have to start the race with it?  

You shouldn't need lights at all unless its A. Dark or B. Adverse weather

If you are confident it won't rain at all you can leave them off is the way I read it.

As a team owner I would suggest getting some lightweight inexpensive "adverse weather" lights for your day race events - something like these?

https://www.amazon.com/LEDKINGDOMUS-Driving-Compatible-Waterproof-Warranty/dp/B01GNQAMMU/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=led+cube+lights&qid=1662058448&sr=8-11

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chris Huggins said:

You shouldn't need lights at all unless its A. Dark or B. Adverse weather

If you are confident it won't rain at all you can leave them off is the way I read it.

Not how I read it.

9.9.1. All cars must be equipped with suitable headlights.

No exceptions.

They must be turned on for 9.9.2. Adverse Weather Events.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, petawawarace said:

Sure.  But he said he’d take a single lightbar  and put a piece of tape in the middle to “technically” make it two.  That makes no sense.  

He is asking if that would meet the minimum requirement of having at least 2 headlights at night or in adverse weather.

I'm not tech but I think it does meet the requirement.  

I think (and this is my opinion) that the original intent of the rule was for there to be a light on each front corner of the vehicle for this purpose (depth perception).  having 2 lights on the same side is very confusing at night (think seeing a motorcycle coming at you at night on a 2 lane road).  

I know Tech has seen some light bars that were mega massive and (likely) over the limit tape off portions to dim them down some.

1 minute ago, takjak2 said:

Not how I read it.

9.9.1. All cars must be equipped with suitable headlights.

No exceptions.

They must be turned on for 9.9.2. Adverse Weather Events.

I stand corrected

Can something like this work for events where it may rain?

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-AT-HAIHAN-Compliant-Waterproof-Lighting/dp/B09289V9JS/ref=asc_df_B09289V9JS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=533316790950&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17160537147260256322&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016902&hvtargid=pla-1386190295915&psc=1

I imagine this is to be seen, not to necessarily make it so the driver can see better.

I have full on night racing lights, but they are expensive and I don't want to run them all the time.

Edited by wvumtnbkr

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Can something like this work for events where it may rain?

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-AT-HAIHAN-Compliant-Waterproof-Lighting/dp/B09289V9JS/ref=asc_df_B09289V9JS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=533316790950&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17160537147260256322&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016902&hvtargid=pla-1386190295915&psc=1

I imagine this is to be seen, not to necessarily make it so the driver can see better.

I have full on night racing lights, but they are expensive and I don't want to run them all the time.

I think these would be fine. There’s nothing in the rules saying how good your headlights have to be.  The only issue would be that you technically couldn’t have them on at night in addition to your “racing lights”.   So if they were removable and then put your better lights on, that would be the smart/easy solution. 

• Like 1

I threw away my perfectly working NC Miata headlights to save 1.5 lbs.

Some indication of what a cheap headlight replacement would be would be great. If those $20 lights above work than that would be great

Or even better cut this all over the front:
image.png.480aafcc117a7a52107b82aa3e09e849.png

Technically 1 led light but as mentioned above can put some tape in the middle to make it two....

Or a bunch of these ($1 each):
image.png.aa996949d989f356ed8633a6c2cb8527.png

Edited by turbogrill

Interested in following the lighting discussion.  

I have seen some online use of these for non racing applications:

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-998570021-60mm-HB3High-Headlamp/dp/B002MFMOO6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=1Z3OF4UJ48NRW&keywords=HELLA+998570021&qid=1662579242&sprefix=hella+99857001%2Caps%2C367&sr=8-1

Wondering 4 would be good enough to race with.  

• 2 months later...

What do you think about these as headlights for day events:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle-lights/led-accent-lighting/led-rock-lights-for-off-road-vehicles/waterproof-off-road-led-rock-light-213-lumens#specifications

It's easy to mount since it's panel mount, assume it's not heavy. Each light is 215 lumens and durable. 

https://www.superbrightleds.com/media/amasty/review/cust_5ed92eda0f3dc.jpg

This was posted on the ChampCar Garage Facebook page when the question about headlights came up. This is my version of writing the headlight rule. I didn't get into tail or rain lights.

9.9. HEADLIGHTS

All cars must be equipped with suitable headlights for wet weather racing. OEM Headlights are preferred

9.1.1. No single conventional light bulb or light source shall exceed 60W for H3 or H4 bulbs, or 35W for HID bulbs.

9.1.2 Up to two (2) additional light sources may be installed. Cars equipped with LED head- or driving- lights shall be restricted to a maximum of 8,000 Lumens. Teams using LED lights MUST have documentation to prove Lumen data.

9.1.3. Combined Lighting Sources: cars using a combination of BOTH H3/H4/HID and LED lights shall be limited to a maximum of 4,000 Lumens of LED lighting.

9.1.4. All headlights must be installed such that the base of the driving light lens is NO HIGHER than six inches (6”) above the highest point of the stock front fender and, NO FURTHER BACK than the centerline of the front axle. 

9.1.5. Cars not meeting these requirements, or with improperly aimed, or blinding lights shall be black flagged and brought in to add, repair, or adjust lights to meet this

3 hours ago, hotrod said:

This was posted on the ChampCar Garage Facebook page when the question about headlights came up. This is my version of writing the headlight rule. I didn't get into tail or rain lights.

9.9. HEADLIGHTS

All cars must be equipped with suitable headlights for wet weather racing. OEM Headlights are preferred

9.1.1. No single conventional light bulb or light source shall exceed 60W for H3 or H4 bulbs, or 35W for HID bulbs.

9.1.2 Up to two (2) additional light sources may be installed. Cars equipped with LED head- or driving- lights shall be restricted to a maximum of 8,000 Lumens. Teams using LED lights MUST have documentation to prove Lumen data.

9.1.3. Combined Lighting Sources: cars using a combination of BOTH H3/H4/HID and LED lights shall be limited to a maximum of 4,000 Lumens of LED lighting.

9.1.4. All headlights must be installed such that the base of the driving light lens is NO HIGHER than six inches (6”) above the highest point of the stock front fender and, NO FURTHER BACK than the centerline of the front axle. 

9.1.5. Cars not meeting these requirements, or with improperly aimed, or blinding lights shall be black flagged and brought in to add, repair, or adjust lights to meet this

Sounds like almost any light would do unless it's super bright and not mounted in a strange way.