Who is running a polycarbonate windshield?

wvumtnbkr

If you are, what exact material?  Any issues?  Where did you get it?  How expensive was it?  Do the wipers work well?  Do you have a grid defroster?  Work okay?  Tear offs?

Thanks yall!  I don't want to keep paying to buy rx7 windshields at incredible expense...

I used a 4' x 8' sheet of Lexan from Home Depot.  I got a front and rear window out of it, plus a deck lid spoiler.  The windshield has been in the car for 4+ years and other then some stress cracks around the bolt holes, it is fine.  I bought a 2 layer tear off from protintshop.com that cost as much as the Lexan, but I have yet to tear off the first layer.  The wipers have no effect on the tear off, and they have been used extensively here in Florida.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 9/1/2022 at 5:46 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

Thanks yall!  I don't want to keep paying to buy rx7 windshields at incredible expense...

I vowed to myself that I'd do lexan windshield next time ours cracked.  That was 3 years ago hahaha.  It's surviving just to spite me at this point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We run the high impact lexan (forget the trade name) just because I have a friend with a plastics shop and he got it for me at a good price.  We also run the frost fighter which works great (Florida rain and humidity tested) but I personally recommend installing AFTER you mount the windshield so it's aligned with the curvature.  I put ours on before installing the windshield and with the slight bow some of the tracks lifted - and then ended up with little risers / ticks in the grid which makes cleaning the inside a PITA.  But it still works great.  We use this canopy cleaner for all the lexan on the car which works very well.  Bit expensive but worth the extra cost IMO.  https://wingsandwheels.com/plexus-canopy-cleaner.html

• Thanks 1

We went with the Racing Shields flat sheets (https://www.racingshields.com/2021_SHIELDS_Pricing.pdf).  We chose the external hard coating and their interior anti-fog.  Ran Hallett in the rain without wipers and defog and had no issues.  The rain was a bit distracting in slower corners but in most cases the rain beaded and rolled right off the wind screen.  We have yet to see the longevity of the product though.