• Technical Advisory Committee

F stands for "frank" just to get that out of the way first.

300 points.  Not 301 or 300.5, 300 points total.  

Must declare before the race starts that you want to be in Class F.

F can win overall, but F can't win A,B,C,D

What is going to be the "hot" ticket for this class?  Mostly stock Miata?  E30 318is?  Honda swapped alphabet soup?

Any teams already thinking of options?

e30 318 was my immediate thought when I saw the 300pt limit. Only because of my hoard of parts would make it easy for me.

I can see experienced teams taking on a second car to fit this class for driver development. It's certainly crossed my mind.

But running two cars still still comes with all the overhead bringing the car to a quality level. Damn being obsessive with maintenance...

Hard way:
Datsun 280zx. 21 gallons of tank, cam, header, cut sprinngs, swaybar, ecu.
Difficult since they are 9000 years old and rusty to poop and everything is broken on them.

Easy way:
Take my 1.6 Miata H2R Challenge Car (spec miata with stock shocks) and update the fuel bottle, remove ballast.

How can you fit a engine swap in 300pts?????????????

Edited by turbogrill

If champ raced over here, this is the class I would target with my car. Not to say our 200sx would be the best choice, but I like the concept. I like the idea of "limited prep" and/or a class where a basic low budget racecar (spec miata, old ITA car, etc) can enter and compete with other similar cars. I'm sure it'll get faster over the years and some platforms will tend to make their way to the pointy end and it'll become fast and competitive, but I like the concept.

• Like 1

Not allowing swaps also eliminates a lot of the sub 150 point cars from being competitive in the class. I’m thinking Opels here…….

Let the class gain some traction before we place more rules upon it. CC created another class after A-D. Nothing says they can’t create a Frank’enstein 300 class. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jakks said:

Not allowing swaps also eliminates a lot of the sub 150 point cars from being competitive in the class. I’m thinking Opels here…….

Let the class gain some traction before we place more rules upon it. CC created another class after A-D. Nothing says they can’t create a Frank’enstein 300 class. 

Well I would do it the other way and make it a bit more restricted at first. It’s a lot easy to get more out of the tube than it is putting it back in.    Down the road a bit if it’s really needed some limited swaps could be allowed.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Well I would do it the other way and make it a bit more restricted at first. It’s a lot easy to get more out of the tube than it is putting it back in.    Down the road a bit if it’s really needed some limited swaps could be allowed.  

The difference here is if a change is made and a car no longer fits in F teams will still have the other classes as an option. If there is an outlier at 300 points surely it can compete for the Overall, ABC or D at 500 or maybe the car is undervalued as it sits or as a swap. 

"If" swaps continue to be allowed on the class, I would suggest only swaps from cars of the same make/parent company.  This would allow some older cars to update to a more current drivetrain and be interesting.  Perhaps limit it to no more than 10 years newer than chassis?  Just spitballing...

I also like the thought that this is more "limited prep", no flares, no aero - or minimal F & R spoilers (no wings/splitters).

I still think it is a great start in the right direction.

Edited by craig71188
  • Like 1