New build

Bullet45

21 hours ago, Bullet45 said:

I am using 5" x 5" 1/8" plates to mount the cage to my floor/rocker.  My question is do the plates need to be welded all the way around or can I stich weld them? My experience building cars is that stich welding is stronger on the thinner material. Thanks  Brad

Look through the rulebook on cage building to be sure base plates are correct size and thickness and for all other welding requirements and construction requirements. Best to know before building something that may not be correct. Every race group has different requirements and rules. Good luck and we all love following new builds. Keep us updated 

• Thanks 1

You would be best to make the plates match lemons rules, if you ever think the car may sell to run in that series. Their limit is 24 in^2, which a 5x5 plate would meet. Ours is 16". They also expect fully welded plates. They also have some weird rules on angle of rear stays, so a quick glance in that rulebook would help. 

For our series rules you would also pass LD racing rules and most likely pass most other series rules. But it would really help you to read the rulebook of all the series you or the next owner might want to run and build something that could pass safety for all. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

You would be best to make the plates match lemons rules, if you ever think the car may sell to run in that series. Their limit is 24 in^2, which a 5x5 plate would meet. Ours is 16". They also expect fully welded plates. They also have some weird rules on angle of rear stays, so a quick glance in that rulebook would help. 

For our series rules you would also pass LD racing rules and most likely pass most other series rules. But it would really help you to read the rulebook of all the series you or the next owner might want to run and build something that could pass safety for all. 

Best answer