Board Of Directors Seat Nominations are now closed

• Administrators

Click here to nominate https://forms.gle/JyseDcRNbkzYRngr9

Tyler Pedersen (Dec 2022)
Rodger Coan (Dec 2022)

The terms for Tyler Pedersen (Board Chair) #003470  , Rodger Coan #005467  , end on December 31st of this year.  Their seats are up for re-election and when filled will serve until December 31st, 2025.  While Tyler Pedersen and Rodger Coan are eligible to run again and can be nominated like any other member, Tyler has asked to not be nominated.

Fill out your name and member number.  Then at the bottom, fill out the name and member number of the person you'd like to nominate to the Board of Directors.  Keep in mind that we will contact each nominee to make sure they are OK with being a candidate. 

Simple rules:
1.  You can't nominate yourself.
2.  You can only nominate one person.

All nominations are due by Friday, October 15th.  To keep from having 574 different nominees, a nominee must be named by at least five members to qualify.  We will compile all the nominations and put the top ten nominees on the November 1st ballot.  Elections are over on December 1st, 2022. We will announce the winners on December 15th, 2022, and the two winners will take office on January 1, 2023.

Please contact me with any questions and comments at board@champcar.org

All the best -
E. Tyler Pedersen
Board Chair
ChumpCar International, Inc.

Click here to nominate https://forms.gle/JyseDcRNbkzYRngr9

22 minutes ago, takjak2 said:

If anyone is seeking a nomination I'd be happy to hear from them. Don't be shy, campaigning starts now.

All you’ll get are crickets.  To be constantly raked over the coals because someone is butt hurt gets old.  I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more open seats for this election than just two…

23 minutes ago, chip said:

All you’ll get are crickets.  To be constantly raked over the coals because someone is butt hurt gets old.  I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more open seats for this election than just two…

Can’t say that I disagree with you.  I’ve got the time to be on the board, but I occasionally race with a front running team and I don’t want to drag them into the raft of conspiracy accusations that seem to be part of being on the BOD these days.  

I don’t think this is unique to Champ though.  It seems like civility has evaporated from many areas of American life.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Racer28173 said:

Can’t say that I disagree with you.  I’ve got the time to be on the board, but I occasionally race with a front running team and I don’t want to drag them into the raft of conspiracy accusations that seem to be part of being on the BOD these days.  

I don’t think this is unique to Champ though.  It seems like civility has evaporated from many areas of American life.  

True dat.  My wife is our hoa president.  She gets complaints for everything from a neighbors dog pooping in a yard to a house that was built too close...  35 years ago...

It's all her fault.  She should do something about it...

...  there is a reason that several BOD members don't get on the forum.  Just look at Chris.  Apparently it's his fault that the swap weights were changed for all the cars.  It's also his fault that we don't have every discussion that has ever taken place in an easy to access index.  

If I was on the board, I'd be creating an alias to see what's going on here....  or not.  I'd probably just go race my car.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

True dat.  My wife is our hoa president.  She gets complaints for everything from a neighbors dog pooping in a yard to a house that was built too close...  35 years ago...

It's all her fault.  She should do something about it...

...  there is a reason that several BOD members don't get on the forum.  Just look at Chris.  Apparently it's his fault that the swap weights were changed for all the cars.  It's also his fault that we don't have every discussion that has ever taken place in an easy to access index.  

If I was on the board, I'd be creating an alias to see what's going on here....  or not.  I'd probably just go race my car.

Well I'm happy to know who to complain to about poop in the yard now. :)     Some are better than others at communicating and not creating or adding to a conflict.  There are passionate folks in pretty much every hobby.  Some will never be happy and some really want to make things better.    

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

Well I'm happy to know who to complain to about poop in the yard now. :)     Some are better than others at communicating and not creating or adding to a conflict.  There are passionate folks in pretty much every hobby.  Some will never be happy and some really want to make things better.    

I’ve been the HOA President in my neighborhood for 16 years. I haven’t had to deal with poop yet, but damn if the Army retiree doesn’t annoy the crap out of me. 

Edited by jakks
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, takjak2 said:

If anyone is seeking a nomination I'd be happy to hear from them. Don't be shy, campaigning starts now.

I've run before & will try to run again this year. Most of my info is out there & I'll put an update together. I do care about ChampCar and I believe my life long involvement in Motorsports would help ChampCar to grow and prosper. 

Bernie Myers member number 014806 

• Like 7

I am seeking nomination for the BOD.  For those of you who don't know me, My name is Lee Muhleman and I'm the owner of the Daring Greatly Racing Cadillac CTS.  I have one of, if not the most transparent build thread on this forum and as of today, it has over 34K views.   I chose to build a Cadillac CTS because it's what I know having worked with Cadillac and at the same dealer in the service department for 20 years.  I also chose the CTS because it was something that I had not seen raced in the series, and I felt that it would fit in well in Champcar.  I chose to document my build and post it in the forum because I hadn't seen many other builds being posted and I felt that this would be a great way for someone else to see the process that goes into a build and give them the motivation to build what they know.  I also valued the feedback (both good and bad) and the encouragement that I got from the fellow members on the forum.  I still get warm and fuzzy when someone comes up and tells me that they've enjoyed my build and the documentation of the journey that I've been on with my team.  

I'm an 18 year member of the SCCA and served on my local regions BOD for 3 years.  I joined that BOD during a transition period when our region went from mostly club racers to autocrossers and the treasurer had just been convicted of imbursement taking more than 90% of the clubs money and only having to pay back pennies on the dollar.  Our BOD managed to attract new members, secure new autocross sites, sponsors, and replenish the clubs bank account through a very successful autocross program.  Before I started road racing I autocrossed for 15 years and worked corners at SCCA club events.  

2022 is our 4th season racing with Champcar.  We've learned a lot over those 4 years, and keep learning every race weekend as we try and improve our car and driving.  I feel that most of the club changes that I've seen in the last 6 years I've been following Champcar have been in the right direction.  I feel the VPI's need some equalization based on real world data.  I feel that if the E30 is the chosen one then the VPI needs to be built and adjusted around the results from that car like it has been adjusted around the results from other platforms that dominate or started to dominate.  My goal is to get the top 5 finishers to finish with in two laps of each other.   I think this can be accomplished with VPI adjustments.   

Lee Muhleman

Daring Greatly Racing

Cadillac CTS #527

Member Number 013468

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Now is the opportunity for some of the forum antagonists to put their actions where their keystrokes are.  If you truly care about the serious, and wish to put in a fair amount of effort to ensure its continued health, then I recommend you get in the race and use some of the, lets call it "energy," into doing something other than pot stirring on the forums.  Consider this when reading some of the most frequent contributors to the forum.  If one continuoulsy slings the mud on the forum, but then retreats to the bushes when presented an opportunity to truly make a positive impact, then what is that persons true intent?  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Justin Andress said:

Now is the opportunity for some of the forum antagonists to put their actions where their keystrokes are.  If you truly care about the serious, and wish to put in a fair amount of effort to ensure its continued health, then I recommend you get in the race and use some of the, lets call it "energy," into doing something other than pot stirring on the forums.  Consider this when reading some of the most frequent contributors to the forum.  If one continuoulsy slings the mud on the forum, but then retreats to the bushes when presented an opportunity to truly make a positive impact, then what is that persons true intent?  

Are you serious? 

So if someone wants to see changes made, but they don’t have the time (one example) to commit to the BOD (which many BOD members have openly shared requires a lot of time) then your opinion is they have an Negative intent?   

Please tell me that you see the flaw in that logic.   

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Justin Andress said:

Well, I'm not sure who all you are directing your put up or shut up message to, but I do not care for the tone.  Many of us are pretty passionate about our hobbies and want to help out in many different ways.  We write petitions for changes that we think would make the club better, we offer to help on projects, we work hard on cars and spend disposable income on this crazy game.   We talk with BOD members that we know to try and understand what's going on.   We question new candidates for the BOD and we vote.    We ask questions and share opinions.    Sometimes we call out what we think is BS.   I don't think the membership is supposed to either be on the BOD or shut up.  I think the membership should be a check and balance for the BOD directors and our thoughts should be heard.  Some of those may not be favorable.    

Thanks for your time and efforts.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 9/6/2022 at 12:23 PM, Bill Strong said:

Please contact me with any questions and comments at board@champcar.org

Bill, I tried this email yesterday and it got booted back two times. Is it working now?

Also it may be helpful to list the Expectations of a Board Member. Meeting times, Aprox length, Frequency things of that nature. Thanks!

• Like 2

Open thinking and conversations can lead to positives. One persons thoughts may spur another to come up with an idea to resolve an issue. Positive or negative it's still good to have a voice. 

Members that speak up here are passionate about this hobby. They spend their time they don't have working on their race cars because of this.

But not everyone has the extra time to be more involved and there is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't mean they are less deserving of voicing an opinion.

Bernie Myers running for 2023 ChampCar Board of Directors. Member number 014806

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justin Andress said:

I get where Justin is coming from.  It's not like the BOD sit around thinking of ways to make their E30's faster without taking a VPI hit (or maybe?)  I'm sure there is a ton of work that goes with little to no praise that we are none the wiser of.   I think the BOD needs to be more transparent with what happens either month to month or quarter to quarter and that would go a long way in helping members understand what is going on behind the scenes.  This will also bring accountability.  

This add was approved and paid for by the Lee Muhleman for the BOD 2022 Campaign, Member number 013468 ! 

• Like 2

My two cents worth on nominations. There are a lot of smart people in this series who are passionate about what we do and have demonstrated the ability to make good decisions in many walks of life. When thinking of someone to nominate those qualities obviously have to be considered.

Other values that need to be considered are will they be able to work with 6 other people to make the best decisions for the club and will they be able to do so by listening to those points of view in a calm, non confrontational, rational manner. Also will they be able to take input from the membership and represent them as best they can regardless of their own point of view. We all get here with our own biases and points of view that are impossible to put aside but the ability to recognize that and still make the best decisions for the club needs to be considered. However, board members have to be able to speak up when they disagree or think their point of view isn’t being heard or considered and do so respectfully. Some people want to get involved to have an axe to grind or agenda to push. Ok, part of the thing that puts them there. But the ability to not dominate the limited time that the board meets with their agenda is important. 

All of that may seem soft but needs to be a part of your consideration of those being nominated. In my humble opinion that is. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

My two cents worth on nominations. There are a lot of smart people in this series who are passionate about what we do and have demonstrated the ability to make good decisions in many walks of life. When thinking of someone to nominate those qualities obviously have to be considered.

Other values that need to be considered are will they be able to work with 6 other people to make the best decisions for the club and will they be able to do so by listening to those points of view in a calm, non confrontational, rational manner. Also will they be able to take input from the membership and represent them as best they can regardless of their own point of view. We all get here with our own biases and points of view that are impossible to put aside but the ability to recognize that and still make the best decisions for the club needs to be considered. However, board members have to be able to speak up when they disagree or think their point of view isn’t being heard or considered and do so respectfully. Some people want to get involved to have an axe to grind or agenda to push. Ok, part of the thing that puts them there. But the ability to not dominate the limited time that the board meets with their agenda is important. 

All of that may seem soft but needs to be a part of your consideration of those being nominated. In my humble opinion that is. 

Rodger,

I appreciate what you have written here.  At the end of the day, the BOD works for the best interest of the membership.  Regardless of the attitude towards a team or car they race.  A step back approach is needed as is a level head..there is perception now, from my casual conversation in the paddock, that most feel that is lost with the current board.  Not due to anyone as a person, but as a competitor.  I know that when it was announced that the series would have a BOD I had reached out to Mike C. to ask that it was made up of regional  representation, those that live in SE America, do not deal with the same situations of us in the Midwest or NE America, and having some diversity could help.   It didn't hold up, but I still would like to see it...

As much as I have tried to just run and enjoy the series, I plan to throw my name into the mix.  More to come.

• Like 2

Howdy!  John Wittenauer here.  ChampCar member number CC017142.  I'm a retired chemical engineer, most recently serving as Vice President of Operations for a privately held chemical company.  Retirement has afforded me the time to prepare, repair, and maintain vintage road race cars that my wife and I compete in with the Vintage Sports Car Drivers Association, and our base model R56 MINI that we run in ChampCar with our son and a few friends.  So far this year we have run the 14 hour Road Atlanta, Kentucky Grand Prix at NCM, Longest Day of Nelson Ledges, and the Gingerman Raceway Cookie-Cutter Classic events in addition to several vintage races.  You can learn a bit more about our Wittenauer Motorsports team on S1E25 of Inside ChampCar. 

I'd be honored to receive your nomination for the Board.

Thanks,

John

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 8:17 AM, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

That is a great point of view Rodger.  Do you intend on running to remain in your current seat on the BOD?  I feel like you just sat down haha.

11 hours ago, Ian said:

That is a great point of view Rodger.  Do you intend on running to remain in your current seat on the BOD?  I feel like you just sat down haha.

Yes I do. And yes I came on mid year last year with the unfortunate passing of Doc. I tried to blend in and just see how things worked for the most part last year but getting the hang of it now. This board works well together and I hope for the club’s sake we maintain that with the two coming on next year regardless of whether I am re-elected or not. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Bill Strong changed the title to Board Of Directors Seat Nominations are now closed