Official 2022 Road America Fall race results

Bill Strong

Going to try and get a full race report up soon.  But for now I'll leave this here....

[Gif]https://imgur.com/a/QPsUyzi[/gif]

EBC RP2s are going to be a no for us in the future.  These were new, beaded in Friday evening.  They barely made the 5 hour mark on Saturday.  I was in the car when the brakes started to go away, and it only took a minor flashback to losing brakes into Canada in 2019 for me to bring it in.  We hot swapped pads, but the damage was done.  Dropped us to 15th.

Big thanks to @scottyk for loaning us a better set of ST45s so we could go all day Sunday without swapping again.  Congrats on the wins.  Y'all earned it, and it was great racing with you as always.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 5

$6,400 in entry fees

3,200 miles of racing

300+ gallons of fuel

1 Sportsmanship Award

Driving 4 cars back on the trailers after finishing on Sunday...priceless

Many thanks to @Gorillasticker.com and all our great rental drivers for a fun and clean weekend

0.jpg.c496a5c2b118ed4b2e418e2ab4459307.jpg

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

Wow! Great job Glen and Joe and gang.

I was going to text you over the weekend to congratulate you on running good races with 3 cars, Didn't realize it was 4!

Well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Really glad this didn't end worse.  I have no idea what the 287 car was thinking.  Also disappointed it took my team going to race control and showing them video for the other car to get called in.

Also disappointed no one came to talk about it.  Especially being an EC car, there's no reason for that level of aggression.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

9 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

$6,400 in entry fees

3,200 miles of racing

300+ gallons of fuel

1 Sportsmanship Award

Driving 4 cars back on the trailers after finishing on Sunday...priceless

Many thanks to @Gorillasticker.com and all our great rental drivers for a fun and clean weekend

0.jpg.c496a5c2b118ed4b2e418e2ab4459307.jpg

4 cars?! Wow, that's impressive! Congrats!

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Ian said:

Also disappointed no one came to talk about it.  Especially being an EC car, there's no reason for that level of aggression.

This really grinds my gears. We've been punted by a Miata at PittRace. Rear-ended under full course yellow by a Mustang at WGI. And then most recently punted by another Miata at Mid-Ohio. The last 2 incidents cost us time and dollars. Do you think anyone came to talk to us? Um, nope.

Glad to see you came out of it mostly unscathed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Really glad this didn't end worse.  I have no idea what the 287 car was thinking.  Also disappointed it took my team going to race control and showing them video for the other car to get called in.

Great job making it a relatively non-incident, bad place to drop a wheel...could've been big...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ian said:

I can see why you're upset, that sucks.

1. He had to know you were there since he just went past you

2. You had no reason to expect him to move over

3. He's not even all that close to having cleared you

4. He could have easily turned in from mid track and not really lost anything

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mcoppola said:

Wow! Great job Glen and Joe and gang.

I was going to text you over the weekend to congratulate you on running good races with 3 cars, Didn't realize it was 4!

Well done!

Thanks Mike, I probably wouldn't have had any time to read your text though :P we really only had 1 crew person, and both co-captains were also driving at times, so we stayed busy :o

We brought the 4th car as a backup and decided to enter it at the last minute. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

I can see why you're upset, that sucks.

1. He had to know you were there since he just went past you

2. You had no reason to expect him to move over

3. He's not even all that close to having cleared you

4. He could have easily turned in from mid track and not really lost anything

Yah, the damage is minimal.  It scuffed up a brand new for this weekend RF wheel.  It's still serviceable, but still annoying.  It's more the principle.  They were closing at a very consistent rate.  It should have been crystal clear there was still a giant black car there still.

4 hours ago, BollingerChump said:

Great job making it a relatively non-incident, bad place to drop a wheel...could've been big...

Thanks.  It's actually lucky he moved so early.  I normally lift at the approach road, and brake just after, so I had time to gather the car up and get on brakes with time to spare.  Had I been pushed over into my normal braking zone, there's a much better chance I'd have spun, likely collecting not just the E30, but possibly also the Daring Greatly Caddilac that wasn't far behind us.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, hcsi99 said:

Same E30 that got the Infiniti got us too. 

You do the driver a solid and leave them like a whole car width and a half at apex, when you didn't even have to, and they still hit you.  Talk about target fixation.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hcsi99 said:

Same E30 that got the Infiniti got us too. 

Were you moved over offline because of the wet or to let him through?

That corner for us was nasty on line for us with any moisture betting he sent it in and got near the apex and lost the car right into you. Regardless WTF moment for sure.

• Like 1

We ran RT660s Saturday. Went through 7 trying to keep up, we were hit randomly, dodged a bunch of shady driving and finished 4th. Our alignment and suspension could be changed to accommodate better wear I think but we were not impressed at all.

Swapped to unknown age or conditioned rs4s for Sunday big thanks to Quantum performance for changing tires over for us. I spun in front of the whole field on lap one and ended into the turn 6 wall like a moron. We had a bad vibration as soon as the green fell that only got worse after my dumbassery. 2nd stint alternator shook in half. We fueled and swapped alternators in 8 minutes. End of 3rd stint alternator #2 came apart, also throttle was hung. Found the throttle shaft broke in the throttle body and we called it and packed up early.

That was the last weekend of that car racing with champ as we see it. We don't know what the future holds for the Merc 16v with no vpi and all that fun stuff. We will probably take it elsewhere if things don't change. We have another build we plan to run and we move on. Where or when who knows but its been fun, we made some great friends over the last 5 years and look forward to seeing everyone at the track. 

Thanks to Champ for hosting and the safety crews @ Road America for being the best in the business. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Were you moved over offline because of the wet or to let him through?

That corner for us was nasty on line for us with any moisture betting he sent it in and got near the apex and lost the car right into you. Regardless WTF moment for sure.

I was running the rain line, not letting him pass. The 2 previous laps through there I understeered big time on the race line and figured I’d try the middle of the corner and it worked. He told me he started sliding and thought I would slide too and we would both go straight off. 

3 hours ago, hcsi99 said:

I was running the rain line, not letting him pass. The 2 previous laps through there I understeered big time on the race line and figured I’d try the middle of the corner and it worked. He told me he started sliding and thought I would slide too and we would both go straight off. 

Thats what it looked like to me. That whole first hour was a roll of the dice what corner had grip. Seemed to change every lap.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 6:46 AM, Ian said:

Saw this happen live from our pit stall. Looked pretty bad from our view. This there was a full yellow or a red flag right after that and we were thinking this was why. Glad you made it out of that. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Thats what it looked like to me. That whole first hour was a roll of the dice what corner had grip. Seemed to change every lap.

Most fun stint I've ever driven TBH. For anyone who didn't drive it, there was scattered light rain through most of the opening stint. Corners 12 / 13 might be wet, but 1 / 3 would be dry. Then the next lap it may have stopped raining in 12 / 13, but now turns 3 and 7 would be getting rain. Also, with 3 minute lap times, if a corner wasn't getting rain it would dry substantially from one lap to the next so you were really losing lap time if you weren't attacking the "dry" corners. This was my first wet-ish stint and I loved every minute of it, finished p3-ish.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Most fun stint I've ever driven TBH. For anyone who didn't drive it, there was scattered light rain through most of the opening stint. Corners 12 / 13 might be wet, but 1 / 3 would be dry. Then the next lap it may have stopped raining in 12 / 13, but now turns 3 and 7 would be getting rain. Also, with 3 minute lap times, if a corner wasn't getting rain it would dry substantially from one lap to the next so you were really losing lap time if you weren't attacking the "dry" corners. This was my first wet-ish stint and I loved every minute of it, finished p3-ish.

Agree 100%. Literally the most fun I have ever had driving my car. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jim161c said:

that took a bit of talent, nice recovery. 

Thanks.  My years racing stage rally came in handy for a few seconds there.

2 hours ago, enginerd said:

I'm honestly disappointed it quit as I got in the car.  I love loose surface/low traction racing.  We ran a WRL event at RA a few years back where it rained the entire Sunday, and its easily top 5 favorite stints in an endurance car ever.

Stage rally almost always wins in the smiles per mile column, but it's miles per dollar ratio makes it a very poor buy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JoeHeitzRules said:

Saw this happen live from our pit stall. Looked pretty bad from our view. This there was a full yellow or a red flag right after that and we were thinking this was why. Glad you made it out of that. 

Yah, the flags went yellow like right after turn 3 and I honestly wondered if we were all getting pulled in for a CTJ meeting after that obvious shunt.  Turns out it was two other cars going down that triggered it, and I think race control was so busy with that they didn't even notice the shenanigans on the front straight.

13 hours ago, enginerd said:

I had a blast in Turtle in those conditions! I managed to move up to 15 th overall during the stint! It was awesome running with everyone, not watching you all disappear by the next turn!

• Like 1

• Bill Strong changed the title to Official 2022 Road America Fall race results