9.   JSK Racing 176 1999 nissan maxima
10.   Momo Champ 230 1994 Mazda Miata
11.   Need 4 Swede 347 2008 Volvo C30
12.   OFIC Racing 169 1998 Bmw 323is
13.   Rockwell Autosport Development 120 1999 Porsche Boxster
14.   Running Bulls Racing 160 1988 BMW 325e
15.   Team Troxell Racing 325 1993 BMW 325is

• Like 1

• Bill Strong changed the title to 2023 TireRack.com National Championship at Road Atlanta

Bill

Do we know what the max number of cars is going to be?  This track has a pretty good history of mayhem - doing a championship will probably add to the intensity. 

Edit:  for the benefit of any newer team that isn’t familiar with this track or race, it has a tendency to destroy cars more than others. The speed and aggressiveness are highest in a championship race, so newbie teams/drivers will be at high risk of getting car damage. ChampCar has always been a great place for beginners, but the 2023 Atlanta race is one for newbies  to avoid.  

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I think the team that wins the national championship will be the team that's well prepared, fast, has good strategy, and can stay out of trouble. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

I think the team that wins the national championship will be the team that's well prepared, fast, has good strategy, and can stay out of trouble. 

That's the kind of insight and quality reporting that we've come to expect from you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• ChampCar Staff
22 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

I think I set the max cars to 150.

Go big or go home. 

Could you just for once acknowledge that you do not set the car counts. I do. And they are determined by what the contract allows. When I have the contract in-hand, I will set a final number. 

Dana

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DuncanDana said:

Could you just for once acknowledge that you do not set the car counts. I do. And they are determined by what the contract allows. When I have the contract in-hand, I will set a final number. 

Dana

Make it 151 just to rub it in.

• Like 2

• Bill Strong changed the title to 2023 TireRack.com National Championship at Road Atlanta - Test + 14-Hour
11 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

I thought the yearly Tech Inspections were for safety only.

Oh yea, checking dates on belts, window nets, fire bottles… inspecting cages… looking for holes in the firewalls… kill switch check… harness mounting checks… cage padding… On 90 cars, that won’t take any time at all, why were we concerned?

Edited by enginerd
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chris Huggins said:

Can I run this event with my 2021 tech sticker or will I need to stand in the worlds longest line?

20 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

I thought the yearly Tech Inspections were for safety only. The points side is done after the race is over.

Can we get the 2023 inspection done at a race in December?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

If the race is the 2022 championship run under 2022 rules, wouldn’t a 2022 inspection qualify?

Inspection sticker is for 2023 Safety items and a once over of the car. National Championship is run under the 2022 rules, VPI, point adders which Tech won’t pay attention to until impound. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Clifford Beisler said:

What pitstop rules will be used for the 2022 Championship?  Air guns and pit crews or 1 impact and 1 Jack??

It’s a 2023 race run under 2023 rulebook. Bring the car you qualified with in 2022. If the NC race was ran in April/May we wouldn’t revert back to 2022 pit rules. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jakks said:

It’s a 2023 race run under 2023 rulebook. Bring the car you qualified with in 2022. If the NC race was ran in April/May we wouldn’t revert back to 2022 pit rules. 

I don’t think this is correct.  This is for the 2022 Championship so you are allowed to use the 2022 rule book.  This is how it’s been applied every year we have been having a National Champ.

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
13 minutes ago, Ronh911 said:

I don’t think this is correct.  This is for the 2022 Championship so you are allowed to use the 2022 rule book.  This is how it’s been applied every year we have been having a National Champ.

This is how I have always remembered it too. 

• Like 2