Education Time: Platform Swap

Ben 595

I need help understanding Platform swaps.   

Here is the rule.

As an alternative to an engine swap, teams may qualify for a platform swap. A platform swap is defined as replacing the original components with all the components from the same chassis family (i.e. 318 to 325 BMW engine swaps or 2.8L to 5.7L Chevy Camaro). To qualify as a platform swap, all of the differing vehicle components must be swapped to match the new platform. This includes engine, transmission, differential, suspension, fuel tank, etc. The VPI of the car will now be based on the car and engine combination as presented to tech, regardless of what engine may have been installed originally. No swap surcharges shall be applied to platform swaps.

Here is the question.

Can you take a Fox Body mustang (200pts)… waive a magic wand claim ‘Platform Swap’ to a Fox Body Thunderbird (250pts) & basically run a Mustang body with a big fuel tank from a Thunderbird for 50 pts?

The above rule does not list the bodywork differences...  is that an unlisted original component counted in the three letters e.t.c.?  Isn’t platform swap by definition saying you CAN have a body work difference you just have to match the running gear and such?

One of the members on my team is dreaming about a Foxbody with a big tank… and I think why not just start with an old Foxbody Mustang from American Sedan and call it a platform swap.   

Big thanks for the help you rules nerds. ;)

1 hour ago, Ben 595 said:

To qualify as a platform swap, all of the differing vehicle components must be swapped to match the new platform. This includes engine, transmission, differential, suspension, fuel tank, etc. The VPI of the car will now be based on the car and engine combination as presented to tech, regardless of what engine may have been installed originally. No swap surcharges shall be applied to platform swaps.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

This went round and round awhile ago with Ron, a reaction to the lack of fuel parity in the series. 

At the end of the day you have to pass the scrutiny of a protest, enforced by tech to what the CEO and board decide on. 

In that reference, realize people pay material points for things like removing the spare tire well and patching it flat. Points are needed to add something to the car that wasn't there on your claimed shell. What will happen if you try to pass off a mustang as a t bird is someone will protest, take a pic of a t bird body shell from the web and look for things you are showing that arent on the t bird shell. This is beyond the obvious lack of cuts in the car to change the car length. Since you are getting the shell you claim and need to use points to add any items not present on that shell, people will look for mustang only features in the shell and nit pick you point by point to death. Given the increased body % rules that must be stock in 2023, you would be transferring alot of t bird metal to the mustang shell. This is assuming tech, ceo, board don't just stop the process and say no. 

It would end up being much more difficult in points and hassle than starting with a t bird and cutting up the body if you want the shorter length. 

And no, despite the hysteria no one has claimed any floorpan need to have every oem clip to be legal. What we have suggested is if you show up with a floorpan that looks to have different shapes to it and someone protests every square inch that clearly can't be made from a t bird shell as missing material points you might be disappointed.

Edited by Black Magic
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Black Magic said:

And no, despite the hysteria no one has claimed any floorpan need to have every oem clip to be legal. What we have suggested is if you show up with a floorpan that looks to have different shapes to it and someone protests every square inch that clearly can't be made from a t bird shell as missing material points you might be disappointed.

Where is that floorpan rule?  Different shapes, see the Partsbadger car and tell me it retains the stock shape similar to the floorpan stock shape rule that doesn't exist 😆🤣😂🙃.

Edited by Ron_e
  • Thanks 1

They're both fox bodies, but they're not the same platform. Different track, different wheel base, different k member, different shock towers, significantly different weight, probably some other things as well.

I do know that the sheet metal does not matter, you are allowed to do a platform swap from a 82 Mustang to a 93 Cobra for example if you want the motor, transmission, and rear end for example even though the front clip, hood, fenders, side skirts, rear hatch, rear bumper would all be incorrect.

31 minutes ago, FrumRoll said:

I do know that the sheet metal does not matter, you are allowed to do a platform swap from a 82 Mustang to a 93 Cobra for example if you want the motor, transmission, and rear end for example even though the front clip, hood, fenders, side skirts, rear hatch, rear bumper would all be incorrect.

I think this is incorrect. Where did you hear this?

The “platform swap rule” would have been better written as the “VIN doesn’t matter rule”. 
Show up with a car. Claim it as XYZ. If it can’t be proven to not be XYZ (because every part and feature of your car is consistent with what would be on XYZ) then it is assumed to be XYZ even if the VIN disagrees.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FrumRoll said:

They're both fox bodies, but they're not the same platform. Different track, different wheel base, different k member, different shock towers, significantly different weight, probably some other things as well.

Oh excellent, more rules not in the rule book.

Track width, is that a rule?  Do you know how Ford achieved it?

Wheel base, is that a rule?  Do you know how Ford achieved it?

K, no it is the same for the V8 cars but it is bolt in anyway even if they were different so an easy swap.  No need to swap.

Shock towers, no they are they same front and rear.

Stock weight, is that a rule? Do you know what caused the weight difference?

Do you know the difference between a Mustang and TBird door?  Engine?  Trans?  Diff?  Will 1/4's bolt on either car?  How about the nose?  Hood?  Trunk lid?  Are the seat rail mounts different?  Hood hinges?  Trunk hinges?  Brakes?  Springs slide in?  How about the camber adjusters, they must be different, nope.  Pedal box?

Amazing how Ford made a few styling cue changes and the public believed they are two completely different cars.

Speedo doesn't bolt into the dash, wait a sec where is that rule?  Console and seats are different, nope no rule there either.  Steering wheel is different too, oops no rule there.  Door moldings, aha got me there, oops no rule for that and by the way we have always had a TBird door on one side of our car and I will let you try to figure out which side that is.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

I think this is incorrect. Where did you hear this?

The “platform swap rule” would have been better written as the “VIN doesn’t matter rule”. 
Show up with a car. Claim it as XYZ. If it can’t be proven to not be XYZ (because every part and feature of your car is consistent with what would be on XYZ) then it is assumed to be XYZ even if the VIN disagrees.

I asked this specific question to the ChampCar tech desk in the last month.

Question:

When claiming a platform swap is it necessary to have matching body components? For example, 79-93 Mustangs (Fox Body) all share the same chassis. If an 82 Mustang wishes to perform a platform swap to a 93 Cobra to get the Cobra motor, 8.8 rear end, and T5 transmission do they also need to find a front clip, Cobra spoiler, 93 fenders, etc?

Answer:

Derrick
No. All body panels do not have to match car being claimed we are not vin specific but ALL drive train + suspension components must be found as on the model being claimed or points added for the differences

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

Track width, is that a rule?  Do you know how Ford achieved it?

I don't know if there's a rule regarding track width, but I would consider it one variable among many that shows it's a different platform. As to how Ford achieved it the T-Bird rear end is wider then the Mustang rear end and the T-Bird front control arms are wider then Mustang control arms.

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

Wheel base, is that a rule?  Do you know how Ford achieved it?

Same as above, as for the "how" they stretched the floor and made the driveshaft and rear control arms (upper or lower?) longer.

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

K, no it is the same for the V8 cars but it is bolt in anyway even if they were different so an easy swap.  No need to swap.

The K Member is not the same, the rear pick up points do not have the same bolt pattern. You will usually need to slot the holes in the rear and install a 3/8" spacer on the front to install a Mustang K Member because the front frame rails sit higher on the Thunderbird.

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

Shock towers, no they are they same front and rear.

The fronts are different.

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

Stock weight, is that a rule? Do you know what caused the weight difference?

Is it a rule? I don't know, but it's evidence that it's a different platform and if you were allowed to do this getting the TBird swap weight on a Mustang would open up all sorts of issues with the engine swap calculator.

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

Do you know the difference between a Mustang and TBird door?  Engine?  Trans?  Diff?  Will 1/4's bolt on either car?  How about the nose?  Hood?  Trunk lid?  Are the seat rail mounts different?  Hood hinges?  Trunk hinges?  Brakes?  Springs slide in?  How about the camber adjusters, they must be different, nope.  Pedal box?

The doors are completely different, A pillar is different, B pillar is different, C pillar is different, windshield and cowl are different, engine isn't an HO, transmission was only offered in automatic, diff only 7.5s, would the fenders fit? Maybe but they wouldn't line up with the doors. Hood and trunk lid won't fit, hood hinges are different, Thunderbird did not require a prop arm and used springs.

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

Amazing how Ford made a few styling cue changes and the public believed they are two completely different cars.

There's more different then there is the same.

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

Speedo doesn't bolt into the dash, wait a sec where is that rule?  Console and seats are different, nope no rule there either.  Steering wheel is different too, oops no rule there.  Door moldings, aha got me there, oops no rule for that and by the way we have always had a TBird door on one side of our car and I will let you try to figure out which side that is.

I'm not sure how you installed this door:

Modified 1988 Ford Thunderbird w/ IRS - One Take - YouTube

On this car, but I'm pretty sure I could identify the TBird door.Side profile of white 1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Now maybe the 82 Thunderbird is more similar, it looks like the door might fit. I've never dug into one but to my knowledge it doesn't have the big fuel tank anyways.

Estate Find: 1982 Ford Thunderbird | Barn Finds

Edited by FrumRoll

6 hours ago, Ron_e said:

Where is that floorpan rule?  Different shapes, see the Partsbadger car and tell me it retains the stock shape similar to the floorpan stock shape rule that doesn't exist 😆🤣😂🙃.

They would 4.3.2 pay for it (material points), like everyone else after the spare tire wheel well debacle from about 5 years ago. 

You aren't required to retain stock shape, the point I think you miss is you would be burning up material points to claim things which were not part of a t bird that are on your car. No different than everyone that has to pay points to cut their trunks and replace with a flat sheet for better aero. We all jumped ahead and assumed you wouldn't want to claim material points which is why we were suggesting it better match. 

I would suggest the kindness extended to allow non cobra  panels would end quickly when you claim two separate cars (different lines in the VPI list) were the same. But we are only trying to help, anyone is welcome to find out on their own.

Edited by Black Magic

1 hour ago, Black Magic said:

They would 4.3.2 pay for it (material points), like everyone else after the spare tire wheel well debacle from about 5 years ago. 

You aren't required to retain stock shape, the point I think you miss is you would be burning up material points to claim things which were not part of a t bird that are on your car. No different than everyone that has to pay points to cut their trunks and replace with a flat sheet for better aero. We all jumped ahead and assumed you wouldn't want to claim material points which is why we were suggesting it better match. 

I would suggest the kindness extended to allow non cobra R panels would end quickly when you claim two separate cars (different lines in the VPI list) were the same. But we are only trying to help, anyone is welcome to find out on their own.

I think the point you are missing is you have no idea what is different and what is the same between the cars, you are simply guessing.  Also Cobra R's are not allowed in the series, only a Cobra is.

24 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

I think the point you are missing is you have no idea what is different and what is the same between the cars, you are simply guessing.  Also Cobra R's are not allowed in the series, only a Cobra is.

Good catch, typo edited. 

Maybe all of us are guessing. Take the advice that unless YOU can prove all of what people have suggested is the same, it will be hard.

Or build it, no one is stopping you from trying to claim it... wish you the best of luck when someone who cares enough to look into it protests (assuming the car podiums) 

For the original poster, I think you see where the arguments will come from post race well enough to see how this might end. The last fox mustang to win (that I recall, dec 2021) was a group I know through work, it can be done but the fuel does limit the chances at particular races. 

In the mean time, I will be in the garage seeing how much it will take to claim my neon as an e30

Edited by Black Magic

2 hours ago, FrumRoll said:

I asked this specific question to the ChampCar tech desk in the last month.

Question:

When claiming a platform swap is it necessary to have matching body components? For example, 79-93 Mustangs (Fox Body) all share the same chassis. If an 82 Mustang wishes to perform a platform swap to a 93 Cobra to get the Cobra motor, 8.8 rear end, and T5 transmission do they also need to find a front clip, Cobra spoiler, 93 fenders, etc?

Answer:

Derrick
No. All body panels do not have to match car being claimed we are not vin specific but ALL drive train + suspension components must be found as on the model being claimed or points added for the differences

I don't know if there's a rule regarding track width, but I would consider it one variable among many that shows it's a different platform. As to how Ford achieved it the T-Bird rear end is wider then the Mustang rear end and the T-Bird front control arms are wider then Mustang control arms.

Same as above, as for the "how" they stretched the floor and made the driveshaft and rear control arms (upper or lower?) longer.

The K Member is not the same, the rear pick up points do not have the same bolt pattern. You will usually need to slot the holes in the rear and install a 3/8" spacer on the front to install a Mustang K Member because the front frame rails sit higher on the Thunderbird.

The fronts are different.

Is it a rule? I don't know, but it's evidence that it's a different platform and if you were allowed to do this getting the TBird swap weight on a Mustang would open up all sorts of issues with the engine swap calculator.

The doors are completely different, A pillar is different, B pillar is different, C pillar is different, windshield and cowl are different, engine isn't an HO, transmission was only offered in automatic, diff only 7.5s, would the fenders fit? Maybe but they wouldn't line up with the doors. Hood and trunk lid won't fit, hood hinges are different, Thunderbird did not require a prop arm and used springs.

There's more different then there is the same.

I'm not sure how you installed this door:

Modified 1988 Ford Thunderbird w/ IRS - One Take - YouTube

On this car, but I'm pretty sure I could identify the TBird door.Side profile of white 1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Now maybe the 82 Thunderbird is more similar, it looks like the door might fit. I've never dug into one but to my knowledge it doesn't have the big fuel tank anyways.

Estate Find: 1982 Ford Thunderbird | Barn Finds

OK this right here is comedy gold.

The K's are different by 3/8" haha, FYI Ford varied the Mustang k's by more than that year over year hahahaha, then you can't see how I could bolt on a TBird door to a Mustang chassis and it is a seamless transition hahahahahahahahahaha.  If slotting is no longer free for the K you better let the BMW crowd know, they are going to be pissed.

You have 30 minutes to tell me what components are on my car, on the K there is not one flat surface to reference against another flat surface for 3/8" tolerance and you think CC would DQ me when they won't even DQ a car with a different engine than claimed, ok my stomach hurts from laughing now.  Try to even prove which A arms I have on my car, they vary by 3/4" between models and the only way I can verify the difference is by removing them and laying one over top of the other because again there are no flat surfaces to reference against each other.  Try showing your measurements with a hot engine and brakes in the way then DQ someone because of it.

FYI for fun the build I have going on in my garage right now has:

1979 Mustang body

2017 Coyote engine

2004 trans

1987 TBird caliper brackets

1993 Cobra nose, or a 1988 TBird nose if I wanted it to look ugly

1995 Cobra brakes

1 Aerostar 5 lug axle

1 Ranger 5 lug axle

1988 TBird A-arms

1994 spindles

2002 K

1990 master

And it is all bolt together with the help of a grinder and hammer, occasionally touch up a couple of things with a welder.  Yes it varies by almost 40 years from 5 different vehicles and stuff still bolts in, amazing.

I'm not sure what your point is? I was just giving you all (actually some) of the reasons they're not the same platform.

Build whatever you want but if you show up in impound with a Mustang with a 24 gallon fuel cell nobody is going to accept that a platform swap to a Thunderbird is legit.

Edited by FrumRoll
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ron_e said:

You have 30 minutes to tell me what components are on my car, on the K there is not one flat surface to reference against another flat surface for 3/8" tolerance and you think CC would DQ me when they won't even DQ a car with a different engine than claimed, ok my stomach hurts from laughing now.  Try to even prove which A arms I have on my car, they vary by 3/4" between models and the only way I can verify the difference is by removing them and laying one over top of the other because again there are no flat surfaces to reference against each other.  Try showing your measurements with a hot engine and brakes in the way then DQ someone because of it.

Your not wrong, that in the practical sense if you did a really good job of presenting what appeared to be a t bird the protest would be something that might not result in a change the first time around. The second time people see the car and want to protest is when stuff happens, as the people in charge have weeks to figure out what the real story is. 

You are also right that the over body and inside of the shell are far easier to identify that crawling under the car to compare control arms. Remember I advised the battle would most likely come from the body, shell, floor, frame as viewed through the windows by competitors. In the end, only one way to find out. 

I still think at the level of prep to not get quickly dismissed, it would be practically easier and present less issues down the road to reshell. 

Edited by Black Magic

It seems like a 1999-2005 Miata is more similar to an 1990-1997 than the T-bird is to the mustang.  A-arms match up, subframes, etc.  I don't think that type of platform swap would be allowed, if so, I would strongly consider running an NA as an Mazda Speed Miata.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LuckyKid said:

It seems like a 1999-2005 Miata is more similar to an 1990-1997 than the T-bird is to the mustang.  A-arms match up, subframes, etc.  I don't think that type of platform swap would be allowed, if so, I would strongly consider running an NA as an Mazda Speed Miata.

Running an NC as a RX8 would be a strong contender, for the fuel capacity. Assuming you can live with the rotary issues in the miata sized car. 

On 10/19/2022 at 8:38 PM, FrumRoll said:

I'm not sure what your point is? I was just giving you all (actually some) of the reasons they're not the same platform.

Build whatever you want but if you show up in impound with a Mustang with a 24 gallon fuel cell nobody is going to accept that a platform swap to a Thunderbird is legit.

Sigh, the point is see above for people making up rules that don't exist special just for the Fox chassis.

The floorpan is stretched - no it isn't

Then the floorpan is different - no it isn't, where is the floorpan rule anway?

The track width is different - so?  Every other car can change their track width by running different wheels.  Where is the track width rule?

The control arms are different - they sure are but there are these things called bolts that you undo and swap them

The K has to be slotted - FYI if you race a Fox and you haven't slotted the K you are not trying very hard, where is the no slotting rule?

The doors will not fit - yes they do and I have one of each, same metal, same thickness just like the rule says, see how I follow rules?

all... engine, transmission, differential, suspension, fuel tank - glad that rule is there and I will surely follow it but for the parts I don't want there are points rules for swapping parts like... engine, trans, differential, suspension pieces, you can do that for any other car, right?

The wheelbase is different - yes again there are these things called bolts, but where is that wheelbase rule?

The weight is different - where is the minimum weight rule?  Did the series change to showroom stock racing?

Trans was only auto - sorry no and besides there are points to swap parts...

Diff only 7.5 - sorry no it was 8.8 as well and besides there are points to swap parts...

Hood hinges are different - sorry no and where is that hood hinge rule?

The point is I have been working on these cars in my spare time for 15 years and parts and bodywork are interchangeable - Mustang, Cougar, TBird, Ranger, Aerostar, Granada, Lincoln.  Even though the Ranger and Aerostar were not Fox there are still parts to be swapped over decades different, that is how Ford saves money.

See how easy this is with a Fox platform: https://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/mustang-nosed-ltd-packs-blown-ford-small-block-mysterious-history/ no this one wouldn't make the % rule but others would for sure because yes it does actually bolt on.  Oh, and check out those hood hinges...

Edited by Ron_e
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ron_e said:

Sigh, the point is see above for people making up rules that don't exist special just for the Fox chassis.

What rule? That you can't claim you're racing a car that you're not? I don't believe any reasonable interpretation of the rules allows you to claim a Thunderbird and race a Mustang just because Ford called them both Fox bodies. I currently race a Mustang and would like to buy fuel capacity for points, I don't think the platform swap rule is a legitimate way to do it.

4 hours ago, Ron_e said:

The floorpan is stretched - no it isn't

Then the floorpan is different - no it isn't, where is the floorpan rule anway?

The floorpan of an '86-'88 Thunderbird (the one with the 22 gallon tank) is not the same as a '79-'93 Mustang.

4 hours ago, Ron_e said:

The track width is different - so?  Every other car can change their track width by running different wheels.  Where is the track width rule?

I'm not saying you can't change the track width of your Mustang or your Thunderbird, I'm saying the fact they're not the same stock is evidence they're not the same platform (as intended by the rules, I agree they're all Fox bodies).

4 hours ago, Ron_e said:

The control arms are different - they sure are but there are these things called bolts that you undo and swap them

The K has to be slotted - FYI if you race a Fox and you haven't slotted the K you are not trying very hard, where is the no slotting rule?

Again, just saying the fact they're different from the factory is evidence they're not the same platform. Not saying you can't modify a K Member or swap out control arms.

4 hours ago, Ron_e said:

The doors will not fit - yes they do and I have one of each, same metal, same thickness just like the rule says, see how I follow rules?

'86-'88 Thunderbirds do not have the same doors as '79-'93 Mustangs

1988 Ford Thunderbird | conceptcarz.com

1993 FORD MUSTANG GT -

4 hours ago, Ron_e said:

The weight is different - where is the minimum weight rule?  Did the series change to showroom stock racing?

I didn't reference a minimum weight rule, but if you claim a Thunderbird and race a Mustang you have a car that several hundred pounds lighter than the car you claimed can possibly be.

4 hours ago, Ron_e said:

Trans was only auto - sorry no and besides there are points to swap parts...

All V8 Thunderbirds were autos.

4 hours ago, Ron_e said:

Diff only 7.5 - sorry no it was 8.8 as well and besides there are points to swap parts...

All V8 Thunderbirds had 7.5s.

4 hours ago, Ron_e said:

Hood hinges are different - sorry no and where is that hood hinge rule?

The hood and the hinges are completely different, the hood extends over the cowl unlike the Mustang. Frankly this one doesn't matter, the A pillar, B pillar, C pillar, quarter panel, windshield, roofline, trunk, among other things are all different between the two cars. I don't see how somebody could interpret these two cars as being the same platform for the purposes of the BCCR whose example is a 318 to 325 BMW or a 2.8L to 5.7L Camaro.

14k-Mile T-Bird: 1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe | Barn Finds

4 hours ago, Ron_e said:

The point is I have been working on these cars in my spare time for 15 years and parts and bodywork are interchangeable - Mustang, Cougar, TBird, Ranger, Aerostar, Granada, Lincoln.  Even though the Ranger and Aerostar were not Fox there are still parts to be swapped over decades different, that is how Ford saves money.

Nobody claimed these vehicles didn't share parts. Ultimately if you think you're correct, I'm certain I can't convince you otherwise on a forum. Build it and see what happens.

Edited by FrumRoll
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I would go with 21 gallons, newer independent rear, and sweet sounding inline 6 (Lexus GS)....

i-1_b_l.jpg.cc9f34f88b85089f3646977a892d883d.jpg

Challenge still being the 75% body rule, and claiming all the frame,floorpan and frame metal that clearly isn't Lexus derived. Maybe just a bit more cutting and body hanging than the pic here shows (like swapping the entire back half). Well and fitting all of the suspension from the Lexus to the shell, dealing with any track differences that creates....

Maybe just easier to cut the roof off both cars and swap the cage to the GS shell....

Edited by Black Magic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FrumRoll said:

I didn't reference a minimum weight rule, but if you claim a Thunderbird and race a Mustang you have a car that several hundred pounds lighter than the car you claimed can possibly be.

That sounds like racing a CRX and using the swap weight of an EX 4 door Civic...

On 10/21/2022 at 5:39 AM, FrumRoll said:

What rule? That you can't claim you're racing a car that you're not? I don't believe any reasonable interpretation of the rules allows you to claim a Thunderbird and race a Mustang just because Ford called them both Fox bodies. I currently race a Mustang and would like to buy fuel capacity for points, I don't think the platform swap rule is a legitimate way to do it.

The floorpan of an '86-'88 Thunderbird (the one with the 22 gallon tank) is not the same as a '79-'93 Mustang.

I'm not saying you can't change the track width of your Mustang or your Thunderbird, I'm saying the fact they're not the same stock is evidence they're not the same platform (as intended by the rules, I agree they're all Fox bodies).

Again, just saying the fact they're different from the factory is evidence they're not the same platform. Not saying you can't modify a K Member or swap out control arms.

'86-'88 Thunderbirds do not have the same doors as '79-'93 Mustangs

1988 Ford Thunderbird | conceptcarz.com

1993 FORD MUSTANG GT -

All V8 Thunderbirds were autos.

All V8 Thunderbirds had 7.5s.

The hood and the hinges are completely different, the hood extends over the cowl unlike the Mustang. Frankly this one doesn't matter, the A pillar, B pillar, C pillar, quarter panel, windshield, roofline, trunk, among other things are all different between the two cars. I don't see how somebody could interpret these two cars as being the same platform for the purposes of the BCCR whose example is a 318 to 325 BMW or a 2.8L to 5.7L Camaro.

14k-Mile T-Bird: 1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe | Barn Finds

Nobody claimed these vehicles didn't share parts. Ultimately if you think you're correct, I'm certain I can't convince you otherwise on a forum. Build it and see what happens.

I will let you speculate which ones are right and which ones are completely wrong.

Edited by Ron_e