2022 ChampCar iRacing Series: Round 16, Sebring - 11/2/2022, 11/9/2022

Rapido

Welcome to the last round of the 2022 CCiS, being held at the legendary Sebring International Raceway. We have a 2 hour race to close out the season and although the overall championship has been decided there are still plenty of close scraps throughout the table to determine final placings and entrance into the hat for the participation award. 

Please note that the practice round will feature an AI field of drivers in the Mazda Miata to provide further data and testing of this concept. Please do not join the Mazda Miata class when registering. I will remove you from the session before the race start if you do. 

Thank you to everyone who has participated in another strong season for the ChampCar iRacing Series, and I look forward to bringing you more news and information about the 2023 season before the end of the year.

Session Details

• Practice Round: Wednesday, 2-November-2022
  • Championship Round: Wednesday, 9-November-2022
  • Practice Start: 6:30pm ET
  • Qualifying Start: 7:30pm ET
  • Race Start: 8:30pm ET
  • Car: Ford Mustang
  • AI Car: Mazda Miata
  • Track: Sebring - International
  • In-Sim Session Date: Saturday, 31-December-2022
  • In-Sim Session Start Time: 2pm
  • In-Sim Time Multiplier: 1x
  • Weather: Auto-Generated
  • Setup: iRacing Baseline Setup with 10.3g Fuel, Fuel Capacity limit at 80%
  • Fast Repairs: 1
  • License Requirements: Practice Rounds (None), Championship Round (>D2.0)

Useful Links

ChampCar iRacing Series - League Application

ChampCar iRacing Series - Discord Server

2022 ChampCar iRacing Series Schedule

2022 ChampCar iRacing Series Broadcast Information Form

2022 ChampCar iRacing Series Protest Form

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

• Like 1

So tonight was a mess, at least for me. Qualy was cut short. I'm assuming because the 2-hour race, but it was still set with 2-hour practice, then 1-hour qualifying. I'm guessing we lost Andy and someone else when the race started early.

Then on the warm up lap, Car #901 Frank R nearly hit me 3 times and then finally succeeded at turn 15 and damaged my car so bad, I had to use the tow truck. Orlando and I started from pit lane and had to maneuver through the MX-5 mess. AI is terrible.

Session was set with 1 hour practice, 1 hour quali (see screenshot below) but practice did not advance. I don't know if this is an iRacing issue or a conflict with AI joining after qualifying was meant to start which means that the session did not advance automatically.

image.png.0f8a90f5cbc4ae2b6835620d61da8f8b.png

I advanced to quali manually when I joined the session and then advanced the race after 30 minutes of quali to ensure some semblance of schedule. 

I will host another practice round on Tuesday evening (8th) with some tweaks to session setup to try and correct some of the issues seen with timing and AI.

With respect to AI I will say that, on a double file pace lap, it's not the best idea to swing across the nose of an AI car that has nearly hit you a couple of times already as they're unlikely to react in the way of a more sentient "human" racer. Much like some of the lapped traffic I've dealt with at real ChampCar events. 

https://streamable.com/vmbm5w

Poor Frank tried to brake and everything.....

image.png.7f4c42767fcc0b3962d2d2294aad8ac2.png

On 11/2/2022 at 9:47 PM, Rapido said:

Session was set with 1 hour practice, 1 hour quali (see screenshot below) but practice did not advance. I don't know if this is an iRacing issue or a conflict with AI joining after qualifying was meant to start which means that the session did not advance automatically.

FWIW we were in qualifying for about 45 minutes, when the message came up that we were advancing to qualifying.  We had advanced from practice to qualifying on time just no AI to be seen until the intervention when qualifying was reset.  Still could be something with the software I don't really know but practice was ended on time and a qualifying session started on time.