Current allowed mods - points per second?

mender

I have an idea of how much the currently allowed mods are worth in terms of points per second but I'd like to hear what others think.

I'll start off with what I think is the best bargain that I've seen:

Aero: front splitter and wing = 20 points, typical improvement  is 2 seconds per lap so 10 points/second.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Team Infiniti said:

Turbocharged choice already has a points provision. 

I feel like a fly on the edge of a Venus fly trap, where is this going?

Okay; how many points? Since there are no Champcar races in my future I've stepped back but I'm still interested in technical discussions.

The question of the actual value of mods/points vs actual lap time improvements has been going for years, just curious what other people see happening. 

8 minutes ago, mender said:

Okay; how many points? Since there are no Champcar races in my future I've stepped back but I'm still interested in technical discussions.

The question of the actual value of mods/points vs actual lap time improvements has been going for years, just curious what other people see happening. 

Turbo charged add 100 points

Most of the time I enjoy your technical discussions, thanks for playing, but don’t be too rough!

1 minute ago, Team Infiniti said:

Turbo charged add 100 points

Most of the time I enjoy your technical discussions, thanks for playing, but don’t be too rough!

Sorry for springing some traps over the years, I'll be nice! :)

So 100 points or 125 with intercooler, right? For endurance racing I'd put that in at the beginning. We've had turbo Miatas out there, anyone want to jump in with some numbers for Daytona?

Edited by mender

34 minutes ago, mender said:

Sorry for springing some traps over the years, I'll be nice! :)

So 100 points or 125 with intercooler, right? For endurance racing I'd put that in at the beginning. We've had turbo Miatas out there, anyone want to jump in with some numbers for Daytona?

I think the intercooler comes with the turbo “charge”

This will vary massively between cars.  I’m guessing the most bang for your point averaged across the board would be a header or lsd (if not already equipped).  
Aero is tricky because at a track like Daytona, adding some aero to reduce drag May net a better gain than downforce.  And with the wide range of drivers experience level I don’t think downforce can be truely taken advantage of with a large majority of the field.  

17 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

This will vary massively between cars.  I’m guessing the most bang for your point averaged across the board would be a header or lsd (if not already equipped).  
Aero is tricky because at a track like Daytona, adding some aero to reduce drag May net a better gain than downforce.  And with the wide range of drivers experience level I don’t think downforce can be truely taken advantage of with a large majority of the field.  

Certainly some cars will not benefit the same way as others, and the tracks will make a difference as well.

It isn't always downforce. The extra high speed stability gained from adding a rear wing to the Civic allowed my main co-driver (hates oversteer!) the confidence in the fast corners to pull up to within a second a lap of my times, and it helped me as well. Three seconds for him, one second for me on a 1.7 mile 14 turn track. Average for the two of us was two seconds/lap; cost was 20 points.

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 12:17 PM, MMiskoe said:

How long is a piece of string?

What car, what track? 

The 1.6l Miata at Daytona is not going to benefit from a wing.

This is actually wrong. A wing added to a bone stock Miata with nothing else will infact improve the laptime at Daytona. (It reduces drag by cleaning up the airflow around the back).

People have mentioned the free mods already.

Aero is cheap in points and big in gain.

Engine swaps are the other most efficient gain.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 7:54 PM, mender said:

Certainly some cars will not benefit the same way as others, and the tracks will make a difference as well.

It isn't always downforce. The extra high speed stability gained from adding a rear wing to the Civic allowed my main co-driver (hates oversteer!) the confidence in the fast corners to pull up to within a second a lap of my times, and it helped me as well. Three seconds for him, one second for me on a 1.7 mile 14 turn track. Average for the two of us was two seconds/lap; cost was 20 points.

We saw huge improvements in lap times with the wing on our Fiero. I think for mid-engine cars on not the best shocks...they are huge, especially with the high speed stability.

Data point with no real data incoming-

I put the 9LR wing on our NB miata some time ago.  Felt the difference?  YES.  Worked so much we couldn't run the gurney or really have much angle in it at all.  So we fully joined the big leagues with the 9LR air dam and splitter w/splitter ramps and I have some feelings after some time with that. It added +26pts for the setup... figured 6 material pts for the splitter ramps.

Impressions-

I would have bet a really nice lunch that we were gonna need to put more angle in the wing.  I was confident of it.  But at Harris Hill in September, and super duper fast NOLA practice this past Friday (running a 2:03.2 at a new track in an NB), I'm really surprised we have not been able to put more wing in the rear.  Hmm.  So then on Saturday I hydroplaned on the front straight, brushed the inside wall, and the splitter and air dam exploded in spectacular fashion.  Going back to the oem bumper with lip.

I believe the science of proper aero up front (and 9LR stuff is good kit) but for our purposes the juice isn't worth the squeeze, especially since we need to shed some points and dang if that setup ain't expensive to replace when it breaks.

Edited by ETR
  • Sad 1