2022 VIR on the North Race Results

Bill Strong

• Bill Strong changed the title to 2022 VIR on the North Race Results
  • Administrators

My story....

4 corner Bill is my new company nickname.
I have not raced since March. So no more excuses.
I head out in Troy's magnificent 2GR-FE 3.5 liter V6 Toyota MR2.
It's raining. The track is slick.
I have never driven this car, nor a car with this engine combo. It's brutal fast. 
On the warm up laps I just spin the tires anytime I add throttle.
It's a bit scary. But I have driven in way worse conditions at VIR in an MR2. I can do this.
The green flag drops when I enter turn 7. I add gas, and the MR2 answers with wheel spin. I see in the mirror the RVA graphics and Wraps E30 BMW is all over my mirror. so I wave him by. he passes at t9. as I make the right turn for turn 10, the car suddenly turn more right, there is no correcting and I head off into the grass, and slowly nose into the tire wall. The bounces back and spins out putting the rear bumper into the wall. I still have power, but the tire just spins. No LSD.
I am stuck.
Then the aim dash goes black and I have zero power. so I await the dreaded safety truck to pull me out from the wall, while not know the extent of the damage I put into Troy's car 4 corners into a race.
Sitting there I notice the Flagtronics turn yellow, then Code35. Frack. That's because of me. This sucks. 
I get hooked up for the tow back to the paddock. Then I notice a crushed MK1 MR2 on a flatbed, then another car out in the woods, and then another crushed car at the exit of hog pen. So it wasn't just me. whew.
Then I have to do the "Tow Down Pit Lane of Shame".
I just wave.
And smile.
The splitter is moved a bit, Troy quickly fixes it and goes over the starting procedure in case it stops again. We lose about 8 minutes in the paddock. but that's ok as we are still under Pink35. I head back out. it is slick as snot. And I see a few more cars that are stuck in the mud or stuffed into tire walls.
So lap 2 underway.
I get to turn 7 and the car shuts off going up the hill. I am able to restart, and then it dies again after I go a few feet. Reset ECU and finally it starts and I continue. It is still slick, and we are still under caution.
I cross the line and it's running well. I get to turn 3 and boom, shuts off again. I quickly get it restarted and just head back to the pit lane. Troy is waiting.
I look at him and tell him, " I don't want to sound like a pussy, but I really don't want to be out in this slick poop". A look of calm and relief comes over his face and he agrees.
So we park the MR2.
At 2pm the weather has cleared and we can see a dry line. So I head out.
It takes me about a half hour to learn and trust the car.
Holy poop is it fast!
Not as fast as the ex-Kenny Schrader's EC Camaro I drove last year. but damn close.
My fastest ever lap at VIR north was a 1:52.948 I my 3.3 liter 91 MR2.
I do a 1:44.969 on Troy's MR2.
I come in at 4pm and hand the car over to Troy. he goes out and puts down some steady 1:45. then boom, 1:42.893 and a few laps later a 1:42.517.
then someone oils down the tracks and the race is over.
But other than the rain, it was a very successful test of a new build and boy was it fun. More seat time and I can be faster. But sadly, I have to go back to work. so no more racing for a while.

Sunday there was no racing for us. I worked with a student photographer for a couple of hours, Troy headed out to pull a horse trailer for his daughter, and then I headed to DC with my wife for a few days.  

318100615_10107409536621026_833607783904319641_n.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

My story....

4 corner Bill is my new company nickname.
I have not raced since March. So no more excuses.
I head out in Troy's magnificent 2GR-FE 3.5 liter V6 Toyota MR2.
It's raining. The track is slick.
I have never driven this car, nor a car with this engine combo. It's brutal fast. 
On the warm up laps I just spin the tires anytime I add throttle.
It's a bit scary. But I have driven in way worse conditions at VIR in an MR2. I can do this.
The green flag drops when I enter turn 7. I add gas, and the MR2 answers with wheel spin. I see in the mirror the RVA graphics and Wraps E30 BMW is all over my mirror. so I wave him by. he passes at t9. as I make the right turn for turn 10, the car suddenly turn more right, there is no correcting and I head off into the grass, and slowly nose into the tire wall. The bounces back and spins out putting the rear bumper into the wall. I still have power, but the tire just spins. No LSD.
I am stuck.
Then the aim dash goes black and I have zero power. so I await the dreaded safety truck to pull me out from the wall, while not know the extent of the damage I put into Troy's car 4 corners into a race.
Sitting there I notice the Flagtronics turn yellow, then Code35. Frack. That's because of me. This sucks. 
I get hooked up for the tow back to the paddock. Then I notice a crushed MK1 MR2 on a flatbed, then another car out in the woods, and then another crushed car at the exit of hog pen. So it wasn't just me. whew.
Then I have to do the "Tow Down Pit Lane of Shame".
I just wave.
And smile.
The splitter is moved a bit, Troy quickly fixes it and goes over the starting procedure in case it stops again. We lose about 8 minutes in the paddock. but that's ok as we are still under Pink35. I head back out. it is slick as snot. And I see a few more cars that are stuck in the mud or stuffed into tire walls.
So lap 2 underway.
I get to turn 7 and the car shuts off going up the hill. I am able to restart, and then it dies again after I go a few feet. Reset ECU and finally it starts and I continue. It is still slick, and we are still under caution.
I cross the line and it's running well. I get to turn 3 and boom, shuts off again. I quickly get it restarted and just head back to the pit lane. Troy is waiting.
I look at him and tell him, " I don't want to sound like a pussy, but I really don't want to be out in this slick poop". A look of calm and relief comes over his face and he agrees.
So we park the MR2.
At 2pm the weather has cleared and we can see a dry line. So I head out.
It takes me about a half hour to learn and trust the car.
Holy poop is it fast!
Not as fast as the ex-Kenny Schrader's EC Camaro I drove last year. but damn close.
My fastest ever lap at VIR north was a 1:52.948 I my 3.3 liter 91 MR2.
I do a 1:44.969 on Troy's MR2.
I come in at 4pm and hand the car over to Troy. he goes out and puts down some steady 1:45. then boom, 1:42.893 and a few laps later a 1:42.517.
then someone oils down the tracks and the race is over.
But other than the rain, it was a very successful test of a new build and boy was it fun. More seat time and I can be faster. But sadly, I have to go back to work. so no more racing for a while.

Sunday there was no racing for us. I worked with a student photographer for a couple of hours, Troy headed out to pull a horse trailer for his daughter, and then I headed to DC with my wife for a few days.  

318100615_10107409536621026_833607783904319641_n.jpg

I drove this car at WGI in 2019. It’s stupid fast.

I joined Insane Miata Motorsports as a 4th “regular” driver this year and I have to say, I’ve never driven a more well prepared and capable car. Emil and Firas have put together a magical, well balanced machine.  Unfortunately on Saturday we fouled up our tire pressures on the RS4 in the rain.  But we managed to right the ship and come out on top for the A class win on Sunday.  I feel good about my performance in the car between 1240- 2:25.  We got a great pitstop when I got in, and a better pitstop when I got out. I got our lap back, passed Fuse15 for 1st and moved us from 9th to 3rd.  Other than drama in impound, it was a great win for the #233 IMM racecar!

Edited by Mikelly

I just wanted to apologize to whoever was driving the red/yellow NC Miata #121 in the first stint on Saturday. I was in the CMP Racing / MGD Prelude going into Turn 4a / Left Hook and tried to leave you space on the outside, but when I turned the wheel left, I had no grip and the car kept tracking out to the edge. I was waiting for the inevitable thud, but fortunately you backed out and I was able to give you the point by on the next straight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

NLS Racing #977 and #799 VIR-North Race Report:

We’ve been determined to end our bad luck streak at VIR. Maybe this is the weekend after our recent success at other tracks. We only ran the 300 on the test day to get our 2 new renters some seat time. Both had oval track experience but have never been on a road course. They both did great, and the car was ready to roll.

Saturday began wet and only got worse. It was mayhem, cars crashing and spinning all over the track. We struggled in the 240 and pitted to unhook the sway bar. That helped but conditions didn’t get any better and tried a swap to our rain tires. Bad mistake, they were terrible, locking up under almost any braking. So bad in fact, we had a little incident with Team Rhinoceros, spinning them and collecting our buddies in the wicked fast FOOS Racing 350sx. While all this is going on, our driver in the 300 drove up to 1st and then promptly spun down into turn 1.

The success in the 300 was short lived. After our first driver change, 3rd gear decided to blow out of the gearbox ending the day and what we thought was the weekend. More on that later. We threw in one of our best wet weather drivers in the 240 and he wasted no time getting up to speed. He had us back into the top 10 by the end of his stint. The rest of the day was smooth sailing, slowly working our way up to P3. Just not enough time to catch Pinkies Out or RVA. Great job guys.

We did our standard post-race prep for the next day. Meanwhile one of our guys had apparently bought yet another 300 with a gearbox still in it, but its 3hrs away. Couple phone calls later and its en route. We’ve done this a few times now, so we made short order of the trans swap.

Both cars back in action and ready to charge ahead on Sunday. Less than an hour into our stint in the 240, driver reports he thinks he has a flat. He keeps pushing to feel it out before we make an unnecessary pitstop. He stays out but says something just doesn’t feel right. Upon inspection during our next stop, we found the RR toe link has snapped off. We had the same thing happen 2 years ago and finished 4th that day. So, we decided to let her eat. Lap times were still right there w/ the leaders. We pushed hard all day slowly reeling the leaders in, but we missed on every pitstop, code 35 would come out every time right after our stops. The stars didn’t quite align, but we managed our way to our best finish yet at VIR, 2nd.

The 300 had some good pace with our new renters. They were pleased to say the least. They’re ready to build their own car now. After our second stop, we noticed the RR wheel was bent, but let it go. On our in lap after the next stint our guy lost brakes. RR caliper had spit out the pads and pushed the pistons all the way out. We determined it was actually a bent hub, not sure when it happened. We put on a new caliper hoping to baby it to the end, but about an hour later it was losing brakes again. So as not to damage our car or anyone else, we parked it.

Everybody had a great time, our best weekend yet at VIR. All the renters got their stints in. Congrats to Huggins and all the Pinkies Out guys, we’re coming for you. Great racing w/ Danger Racing among many others. We had a blast hanging and racing w/ the FOOS 350sx guys. Alan and Nathan, love chilling with you guys. Scott, Ryan, Kevin, Dan, Ben, and the rest of our NLS family, we love you all. Couldn’t do it without you. We even managed to buy a new car at the track. Our guy Ryan picked up a VW Golf turbo for a deal. He got it for all the guys kids to get a little seat time now that they’re getting older. Maybe getting them into a race in the future. What a nice guy. Thanks Champcar and all the support staff. As always the best racing anywhere. Onto Rd ATL. We’re bringing our A game. See you all in victory lane…again.

IMPOUND.jpg

V2.jpg

TOE2.jpg

GOLF.jpg

Edited by bigyellow
  • Like 5

As part of the Team Rhinoceros I'll comment.

First off - congrats on a good finish.  Any day that ends with the car on stands in pit lane is a good day.

Contact early with the mustang was not really an issue, no appreciable damage.  Worst was our driver came in with so little warning we were not ready.  Doesn't sound like you were being ass-hats that lead to the incident.  So no harm no foul. 

What was more interesting was coming down into T1 with other traffic and something not looking right in the mirror so I paused before turning in.  And watched your car go sailing down the inside and off the track.  Yikes that could have been bad.

300's - transmission problems?  Hub problems?  In a collective 12 years of racing those cars in sprint races the transmissions and hubs were bomb proof.  Front uprights and brakes were another story.  I would bet the hub was a collision induced failure.  Maybe a latent issue, but not due to what these cars see for stress in Champcar trim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Average Joe's Team had a blast this weekend.  Would've been awesome if we didn't have the alternator issue Saturday.  I believe we would've been in the top 5 at the end. Sorry to the Old Blue racing white Rx7  toward the end of the day. I was racing  around with one of the leaders . We had both cleared you in the upper esses, but your car got my back passenger rim. Hopefully your car wasn't damaged.

Sunday I started the race slowly because it was slippery cold , but gradually picked up the pace to finally catch and pass the leaders. Had a crazy good time going back and forth with them . Unfortunately, I thought the the Miafit motorsports prelude was leaving me room to pass in the inside, when the driver turned in and got my drivers rear wheel. That was totally a misjudgement on my part . Really sorry.  Hope you all didn't have damage.  I came away with 2 broken Koenig Rims this weekend, grr. 

After replacing the broken wheel,  I did get us back up into 11th before handing over the car. The rest of my drivers did exactly what they needed to and I'm thankful for that. We did have the muffler break off in the 3rd hour.  Then the car started having a misfire. My second driver thought it was low on oil so I dumped a couple quarts in. Mistake!!! However , I believe Alton Virginia is free of mosquitoes now . The car burned off that excess oil for a couple hours. 

I am pleased that we finished 11th overall after all the chaos. Congrats to everyone that finished the weekend,  especially after Saturday 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

300's - transmission problems?  Hub problems?  In a collective 12 years of racing those cars in sprint races the transmissions and hubs were bomb proof.  Front uprights and brakes were another story.  I would bet the hub was a collision induced failure.  Maybe a latent issue, but not due to what these cars see for stress in Champcar trim.

We've had no luck with them. Blown out 3rd gear twice and reverse once. Upon teardown last night, we actually found both rear hubs were cracked. We suspect it happened during an off road excursion at the VIR24 and took a couple races to fully rear its ugly head. We've got some upgrades planned for the 300. If we accomplish it all in time, Rd ATL competitors better watch out.

• Like 5

Tiki AutoSport had a great weekend, despite the ups and downs.  Friday night while testing radios we discovered the NC had a leaky axle seal in the diff.  No problem, I say, I've got a spare!  You guessed it, spare didn't fit.  After hitting every part store in Danville at 7:30 the next morning we finally find one that looks close and pop it in.  We missed the first 30 minutes of Saturday, so we decided to use it as a test day to get the new guys some seat time.  I took the first stint in the rain.  Kudos to the fast guys Saturday morning and I'm sorry I was if/that I was in the way.  That was my first time in the rain and man that was crazy.  The rest of the guys all got some quality seat time as the track started drying.  We decided to call it early so we could go through the car again and make sure there were no issues.

Sunday I got the start again and we started out back.  I had some great battles with the Shumacher Taxi Porsche and couple of the BMW's (not sure who).  It was a blast chasing and passing each other.  I think we were 16th when I handed the car over.  2nd driver reported what felt like a clutch slipping during his stint so we'll have to look into that.  About 30 minutes left in the race we saw a puff of smoke coming down roller coaster.  Our replacement seal that "fit well enough" did not really fit and was starting to fail.  After holding our breath for 30 minutes we crossed the finish line in 14th.  For a team of sim races, 3 of whom were total novices at wheel to wheel racing, we felt like it was a win.  Thanks to ChampCar and the volunteers for a great event.  Congrats to the winners and really top 5-10....you guys were fast.

IMG_9459.jpg

IMG_9460.jpg

• Like 8

I drove with #442 TATR racing in Adam's Blue/White/Orange E30 for the weekend. First official race for this build.

Saturday I was in for the 3rd stint.  Driver 1 & 2 we were slipping/sliding around and both reporting ABS issues then driver 2 radios in with a loss of electrical power and a dead car.  We find the issue and I go out for some laps (at this point we are just getting some practice in). A wet but drying track had me in the 2:08-2:09s, mainly just avoiding contact and keeping the car on the track. Still had a blast sliding around.

Sunday we start off strong and run for a couple hours before driver 1 reports no 4th gear and funky ABS still.  Driver 1 has an off, grass covering the grill and the temps spike. Cant run it long enough to get it to pit without high temp so we wait for a tow and get knocked out of contention.  Back in the pits we clear the grass and go back out, no overheating. Driver 2 gets in and reports fuel pump issues. Pit, change fuel filter and then I get in.  Car ran well for me and I got quite proficient at skipping 4th gear and avoiding the ABS activation, running quite a few 1:44s with a 1:43.8 towards the end of my stint (light on fuel).

Was fun to play around with lines and braking points to optimize a lap with no 4th. Turns out running T2-3, patriot/infield, and rollercoaster/hogpen in 5th is not too bad. The hard part was in traffic when I could not carry momentum but also could not be in 4th to accelerate well.

Finished the weekend by driving the car on the trailer!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...