Offseason fun race

dabneyd

Since iRacing is updating VIR with a current scan tomorrow morning, I thought it would be fun to have a race there tomorrow night! Here's what we're planning:

• GR86 @ updated VIR
  • 1 hour practice, starting 8PM EST
  • 10 minute lone qualifying, 2 laps
  • 40 minute race
  • Open setup
  • 30% fuel
  • 1 fast repair
  • No incident limit

Both the car and track are base content now, so bring your friends!

This will be a league session, FYI. Here's the link to join the league.

Edited by dabneyd
More Q time
  • Like 4

Excited for this!

Anyone have a gr86 setup or tips that make it rotate less under braking?

Car feels great but does not like trail braking at all (at least with me driving it).

When I start upping the pace I keep losing the rear on braking and can't seem to adjust it out.

1 hour ago, tyler_j said:

Excited for this!

Car feels great but does not like trail braking at all (at least with me driving it).

When I start upping the pace I keep losing the rear on braking and can't seem to adjust it out.

More throttle, I was braking very late and using all the ABS, trailing it off and minimal coasting. The biggest thing I have noticed is that the way you release the brakes really matters. When I first drove it I thought it was way too loose and wanted to solve the rotation too but after a week of GR Cup at VIR last week, I learned to manage the yaw. I think the car is a good step forward, one of my biggest complaints about iR cars was how stuck they felt compared to the real world. This car moves around under braking and managing the weight transfer matters more than it did in the ND. 

Excited to see the new track tomorrow, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little sad to lose an old friend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

More throttle, I was braking very late and using all the ABS, trailing it off and minimal coasting. The biggest thing I have noticed is that the way you release the brakes really matters......

Appreciate the advice!  Admittedly I only have about an hour of AI racing at Road Atlanta with this car, and I chased the setup the whole time seemingly making it worse with each adjustment haha.

As always the best improvement is seat time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tyler_j said:

Excited for this!

Turn the wheel less, or turn it, then back wheel out before it over rotates. be ahead of instead of behind the car.

Also, what wheel are you using? How well developed are your settings?

40 minutes ago, Wheelman_99 - C Rallo said:

Also, what wheel are you using? How well developed are your settings?

I have an old Logitech G25 setup with some pedal modifications (springs). 

Settings for the wheel are honestly not developed at all, I plugged it in, adjusted my feedback to my liking and that's about it.

I am a light iracing user, and mainly use it for dusting off the cobwebs prior to a race/event.  Never super competitive in these iracing events, but they are fun!

I commented in the session about my very low FPS. I don't have an awesome system to begin with. I run triples and would normally be in the 60 FPS range with very minimal detail. After the VIR update, I was getting 17 FPS, it was so bad I started feeling sick after a few corners. I rebooted my computer and disabled the new high quality trees & speedtree options and improved slightly to ~35 FPS. Still pretty bad. I see this morning on the iRacing forum that others are complaining about the same issues.

Maybe it's time to upgrade some hardware. I'm not even sure what I had, as my son put it together for me in 2020 from some leftover parts from his computer builds.

4 hours ago, CoachMK21 said:

I commented in the session about my very low FPS. I don't have an awesome system to begin with. I run triples and would normally be in the 60 FPS range with very minimal detail. After the VIR update, I was getting 17 FPS, it was so bad I started feeling sick after a few corners. I rebooted my computer and disabled the new high quality trees & speedtree options and improved slightly to ~35 FPS. Still pretty bad. I see this morning on the iRacing forum that others are complaining about the same issues.

Maybe it's time to upgrade some hardware. I'm not even sure what I had, as my son put it together for me in 2020 from some leftover parts from his computer builds.

I had the same issue last night, then when switching directions through a left/right corner combo, the entire horizon would stutter, which was really annoying. Other than that, the car and track combo were awesome, thanks for hosting the race for us! 

Edited by johnwilding

I really enjoyed the 86 race and found the racing to be very close. Draft is a little overpowering but some of that may have been the set variety (high df / vs low df). The brakes in the car are a little tricky and really punishes you for releasing suddenly. There looked to be a lot of good battles throughout the field, may have been able to fight for a win except for a few mistakes I made.

For VIR I also had issues with frame rates as well as the high definition tree setting...everything looked like it was melting. Turning that off along with the heat haze cleared things up though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...