2023 CCIS Season Schedule & More

Happy New Year and welcome to the (almost) all-new 2023 Champcar iRacing Series. After another fun year of racing in 2022, we’ve decided to listen to the membership, and bring some excitement and change to the existing formula (big thanks to everyone who filled out our community survey!). Read on to see what’s new!

Click Here to Join the League

Join the Discord

Summary of Changes
New Cars - This year’s lineup includes 2 returning and 3(!) new cars
New Tracks - We’re visiting more North American tracks than ever
New Scheduling - We’ve moved races earlier to avoid conflicting with trailer loading days
New Enduro Championship - A new format for team racing with its own prizes
New Prizes - We’ve made changes to offer more prizes to more participants, and lower the barrier to entry throughout the year

Seasons and Points

This year’s Champcar iRacing Series will include 2 different championships.

The familiar 1hr Sprint format will return with 12 races over the course of the year. Tracks are selected to mirror the real-world Champcar schedule as much as possible (iRacing, please scan NCM, AMP, Gingerman, etc). The points system will mirror previous years - 50,46,42,39,36,34,32,31,30,29… etc. This means, the top 38 drivers (who complete 50% race distance) will have the opportunity to score points. There will be 3 drop weeks on offer (life happens). The highest points total, after drop weeks, is crowned champion and wins the prizes below.

New for 2023 is the Enduro series. This championship will comprise 4 races and drivers can compete with a team of up to 3 drivers. In this series consistency is king, so points will be calculated like the real-world Champcar Series. 1st place = 1 point, 2nd = 2 points and so on. Teams must complete at least 50% of race distance to receive points. All incomplete races are assessed 99pts. When all is said and done, the average of all points collected by a team is taken.  Lowest points total will win. Teams split any prizes equally. 

All points ties are decided by: rounds completed, then average of qualifying positions, then lowest cumulative incident total

Tracks and Cars

To continue to mirror the variety and excitement on track in the real Champcar Series, we’ve built a schedule that incorporates FWD and RWD cars racing on a ton of different North American tracks. This year, we’re happy to add the Toyota GR86, the TCR and the ND Miata to our existing roster of the NC Miata and the Ford FR500s. We’ve also added some new tracks including Barber and the (in)famous Charlotte Roval. 

To keep things even, all races are run with fixed setups (we’ve met you cheaty types in impound before 😛). All sprint races will receive one fast repair. Enduros will vary. 

Sprint sessions open at 6:30PM ET. Qualifying runs from 8:30PM ET to race start. All races start at 9:30PM ET.  Enduros will vary - see race posts for details. 

Full schedule here (for whatever reason, it appears to be all in bold as well)

Dates

Track 

On 2023 CCES Schedule

Car

Enduro Championship

Jan 18

Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta

Toyota GR86

Feb 15 

Barber Motorsports Park

NC Miata

Mar 1

Sonoma Raceway

TCR**

Mar 22

Daytona International Speedway (Road)

Mustang FR500s

Apr 15*

Summit Point Motorsports Park

Toyota GR86

Round 1

May 17

Watkins Glen International (Boot)

ND Miata

May 31

Circuit of The Americas

TCR**

June 21*

Sebring International Raceway

Toyota GR86

July 8

Charlotte Motor Speedway (Roval)

Mustang FR500s

Round 2

Aug 2

VIRginia International Raceway (Full)

NC Miata

Aug 19*

Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course

✓

TCR**

Round 3

Sep 13

Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (MOSPORT)

Toyota GR86

Oct 11

Road America (Bend)

Mustang FR500s

Nov 4*

WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca

ND Miata

Round 4

Nov 22

VIRginia International Raceway (North)

TCR**

Dec 13

Sebring International Raceway

Mustang FR500s

* Note that all Enduro rounds take place on Saturdays (regular rounds on Wednesday evenings)

** All TCRs are acceptable. Apparently the Elantra is the fast one right now. We won't be doing any extra BOP.

Prizes

In response to community feedback, and to promote better racing throughout the year, we’re lowering the barrier to entry and offering more prizes than ever. Notably, the participation “door prize” will continue, however, we’re only asking drivers to participate in >50% of 4 consecutive races to secure their spot in the $250 Champbuck draw. We’re also happy to offer 5 prizes of $150 Champbucks for our Enduro events ($150 to each event’s winners and another $150 to the overall champion). 

Our prize schedule for the year will look like this:

Schedule

Prize (in $Champbucks)

Overall Points Champion

(Sprint Rounds)

Full Season

$1500 Champbucks

Random Draw 

(Announced on CCES Broadcast)

3 equal “mini-seasons”.

Complete 50% race distance in 

Regular Rounds 1-4, 5-8, 9-12

3x $250 Champbucks

Enduros

(split equally, 1-3 teammates)

2hr+ Enduro Rounds 1-4

4x$150 - Race Winner(s)

1x$150 - Champion(s)

A note to potential competitors - Champbucks can be put towards entry in any real-world race in the Champcar Endurance Series and are credited to Member’s Champcar Credits on the Champcar site (Membership is required if you win a prize). Don’t own a car? No problem - the ChampCar Endurance Series has tons of teams that rent seat time to potential racers and gear rentals are cheap. Many sim racers (including all 3 members of your broadcasting crew) have gotten their real-world start in the ChampCar Endurance Series.

Protests & Driving Standards

Racing in the ChampCar iRacing Series has been great over the past few years with relatively few major incidents. This is a fun series, with cool prizes; please don’t be the driver/team to ruin it for others.

Incident limits (including off-tracks) are not enforced, however, flagrantly unsportsmanlike and/or dangerous behaviour will be penalized. Please note that unsportsmanlike includes "unpleasant to others". Penalties are at the complete discretion of HJBC and the ChampCar Endurance Series but can include black flags, post-race time penalties, DQ’s and exclusion from the series and/or points championship. Check out our Protest Form if you have any issues. 

Broadcast

We’re happy to announce that all races will continue to be broadcast on HJBC from green flag to chequers. 

Edited by Devon Peters
  • Like 9

I like the adjustments. Curious about the additional details on the enduro events, start time, duration, etc. I'm sure you'll update us when appropriate. Thanks for doing all the work on this Team HJ.

• Like 2

Thanks for the 2023 schedule. It looks great. New cars too!! Just to confirm- are there ‘unofficial’ races the week

prior to the official races above, similar to previous seasons? I don’t see this mentioned so I don’t think so, but wanted to confirm. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, SGrinnell said:

Thanks for the 2023 schedule. It looks great. New cars too!! Just to confirm- are there ‘unofficial’ races the week

prior to the official races above, similar to previous seasons? I don’t see this mentioned so I don’t think so, but wanted to confirm. Thanks!

Do you find value in a session that's exactly the same as the race session, or would you be ok with some changes? 

The unofficial races were very fun, and a great prep for the official races. Changes are always good. Also - definitely not trying to dictate any changes. I’m very appreciative of the work it takes to run a series. I’m only confirming the schedule to

plan for all of the races. 

Wow, you all did a lot of work, these are great updates, thank you again for the efforts in making this league so fantastic. Was the participation award ever announced? I remember someone saying it may be announced during the NYE broadcast on Champcar Live, but I was participating in the race in our ill handling Miata and must have missed it. We still finished the day with no mechanical issues and a 7th overall in a very stacked field. The highlight of the day was having a seizure while driving (like I said, it was quite the day - thankfully it happened during a Code 35), but just weren’t on pace due to random snap oversteer, which we think we know the reason for…but it was too late, thankfully we think we know what to address to fix the random snap oversteer issue. We just need a test day before next race to confirm our thoughts. 

Looking forward to the start of the season in a few weeks.

Cheers!  

Edited by johnwilding
Brain fog issues from discovering I have a brain tumor. Seriously. LOL
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, johnwilding said:

Wow, you all did a lot of work, these are great updates, thank you again for the efforts in making this league so fantastic. Was the participation award ever announced? I remember someone saying it may be announced during the NYE broadcast on Champcar Live, but I was participating in the race in our ill handling Miata and must have missed it. We still finished the day with no mechanical issues and a 7th overall in a very stacked field. The highlight of the day was having a seizure while driving (like I said, it was quite the day - thankfully it happened during a Code 35), but just weren’t on pace due to random snap oversteer, which we think we know the reason for…but it was too late, thankfully we think we know what to address to fix the random snap oversteer issue. We just need a test day before next race to confirm our thoughts. 

Looking forward to the start of the season in a few weeks.

Cheers!  

Wow John. Good to hear you're okay.

18 hours ago, dabneyd said:

Do you find value in a session that's exactly the same as the race session, or would you be ok with some changes? 

When I'm doing a practice race I like to collect data to prep for the race so the same parameters is preferred.  However, if CCiS want to try something new the practice races are a good place to do it.  In those instances the more notice you can give the better.  For that matter same with the races.  I do not enjoy finding out the night before that we're changing fuel capacity and having to alter my pit strategy. 

Also, what is the opinion/plan of the current CCiS admin team as far as AI in the practices and/or the races? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mostmint said:

Also, what is the opinion/plan of the current CCiS admin team as far as AI in the practices and/or the races? 

I think it would be awesome to add AI to the practice races just to fill them out and add a bit more practice. I find that often during practice races the field gets spread and you just kind of drive alone for most of it. 

Love the new direction and pumped to get back into sim racing this year!

7 hours ago, mostmint said:

When I'm doing a practice race I like to collect data to prep for the race so the same parameters is preferred.  However, if CCiS want to try something new the practice races are a good place to do it.  In those instances the more notice you can give the better.  For that matter same with the races.  I do not enjoy finding out the night before that we're changing fuel capacity and having to alter my pit strategy. 

I have no problem with AI, as long as it's available for the combo. 

On 1/6/2023 at 8:09 AM, CoachMK21 said:

Wow John. Good to hear you're okay.

Thank you Mark, I'm glad I was able to have full control of the right side of my body and mental state, so I could pull over by a corner station and hit the kill switch till the seizure subsided. I guess all the years of racing finally paid off that these were almost involuntary actions when I needed them to be. 

Thanks for the kind words and hope to see you on the track soon. I can't drive or race IRL for 6 months, so sim racing will be good therapy to keep me from going completely stir crazy. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 7:58 AM, johnwilding said:

Thank you Mark, I'm glad I was able to have full control of the right side of my body and mental state, so I could pull over by a corner station and hit the kill switch till the seizure subsided. I guess all the years of racing finally paid off that these were almost involuntary actions when I needed them to be. 

Thanks for the kind words and hope to see you on the track soon. I can't drive or race IRL for 6 months, so sim racing will be good therapy to keep me from going completely stir crazy. 

Glad to hear everything is okay John! 

Also very cool to see what some of the rewards are. 

Can we protest for the ND Miata? 

21 hours ago, Chappy said:

Which setups will be used for the races?  Standard Iracing fixed?  Or a setup you guys make?

Will vary, but generally the baseline setup. The race thread will mention this.

10 hours ago, SGrinnell said:

Does the Road Atlanta race have a night finish?

See the race thread when it gets posted for details like that. 

On 1/9/2023 at 6:21 PM, dirtybird222 said:

Sorry for my incomplete though....just axing the boat that is an NC Miata altogether. 

I'm a NC lover, so you can blame me for including it :P

On 1/9/2023 at 2:16 PM, dirtybird222 said:

Glad to hear everything is okay John! 

Also very cool to see what some of the rewards are. 

Can we protest for the ND Miata? 

Thanks man, I'm glad to be okay too. I'm considering making an interview style video about my early symptoms and other things I should have taken more seriously before hopping in the car on NYE, but also to preach how it's important to really emphasize safety. If we do film something, the in car footage of the seizure will make the video. It's interesting to see from the build up to when it stops, like turning a faucet off. If I can help one person avoid thinking they are bigger and more powerful than some of the signs I had, I may be able to save a life and that's what matters. If I do make the video I'll post it here to include you all. 

• Like 1

Really happy to see endurance races on the schedule and will try to do all 4 of those. I will not be able to make it to many or any weekly races due to the early starts on the west coast. But I completely understand not catering to the 3 or 4 of us.