Jump to content

What happened to your ChampCar today 2023??


Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

I took a walk this morning and looked at my trailer with the yellow MK2 MR2 sitting in it, planning in my head how I am going to transfer the complete drive train and suspension to a MR2 Spyder for ChampCar EC duty. 3.3L and E153 now, but later the 3.5L and VW DSG.
The biggest issue is the front strut bar mounting as the spyder does not use this bar. A frame extension may fix this. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally got the rebuilt engine back in the Neon after it started telling knock knock jokes at a test day in August, if the last few parts come in i might even get the Accusump installed this weekend so hopefully I'm not replacing engines every other race. Got lucky with this last one and got it off the track before it went nuclear, but I'm down to only one usable oil pan and one pile of twisted aluminum that can be repaired. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been waiting for this thread.

 

Installed a short shifter in the car. coolerworx had a deal and i obliged. getting the bracket off the trans was a pain. it has the infamous and appropriately named b1tch clip holding the front on. if the trans ever need to go in out, wont deal with that clip anymore (thank god).  waiting on a new selector rod as the old one was a custom welded quickfix to get the selector joint and shifter combo fitted and was too long with the new shifter. test fitted one from a junkyard and it was better but already had the new one on order so gonna wait and get that hardware in there. also have a new selector joint just in case i want to freshen it too.

 

the coolerworx style shifter is so nice, bet the wife would have more confidence learning on it than the stock one imo cause it self centers, has side travel adjustments, and a reverse lockout. you can set the travel so you cant overtravel 1st/2nd or 5th gates. nice piece of kit.

 

with the front up still waiting for the selector rod, its might finally be time to look installing splitter mounts to the frame.....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, chbright said:

Been waiting for this thread.

 

Installed a short shifter in the car. coolerworx had a deal and i obliged. getting the bracket off the trans was a pain. it has the infamous and appropriately named b1tch clip holding the front on. if the trans ever need to go in out, wont deal with that clip anymore (thank god).  waiting on a new selector rod as the old one was a custom welded quickfix to get the selector joint and shifter combo fitted and was too long with the new shifter. test fitted one from a junkyard and it was better but already had the new one on order so gonna wait and get that hardware in there. also have a new selector joint just in case i want to freshen it too.

 

the coolerworx style shifter is so nice, bet the wife would have more confidence learning on it than the stock one imo cause it self centers, has side travel adjustments, and a reverse lockout. you can set the travel so you cant overtravel 1st/2nd or 5th gates. nice piece of kit.

 

with the front up still waiting for the selector rod, its might finally be time to look installing splitter mounts to the frame.....

I essentially made a copy of that style shifter for my car but used the reverse lockout as a 1/2 gate lockout instead.  Stops the accidental 3rd to 2nd upshift.  Also is so much crisper to shift than stock.  
 

5F05176E-15DF-4654-9F33-3FE3A001EFE3.jpeg

7A617EC4-52D7-41C7-B784-D7A853C41F96.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bought a brand-spanking-new head. The timing cover leak was just the tip of the iceberg for the "new" motor. Done messing with used stuff not working out. Also been playing with my new RaceCapture/Pro Mk4, so much potential, I just need to look-up the ID's for everything and write a few lua scripts and it'll be all set. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Fetterhund said:

Bought a brand-spanking-new head. The timing cover leak was just the tip of the iceberg for the "new" motor. Done messing with used stuff not working out. Also been playing with my new RaceCapture/Pro Mk4, so much potential, I just need to look-up the ID's for everything and write a few lua scripts and it'll be all set. 

only buy used stuff off cars that drove themselves to their deaths and you should be fine. However - new is always a safer bet. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jim161c said:

only buy used stuff off cars that drove themselves to their deaths and you should be fine. However - new is always a safer bet. 

This last motor was out of a wrecked car and looked good, has good compression and even good leakdown, but there is somewhere that water is getting into the oil. There wasn't evidence of it when I got the engine, but perhaps whatever got damaged in the wreck wasn't evident as it immediately stopped running. 

 

I have another good bottom end that is freshened up, so I'll put the new head on the known good bottom end and then sort through the rest after I am up and running.

Edited by Fetterhund
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fetterhund said:

This last motor was out of a wrecked car and looked good, has good compression and even good leakdown, but there is somewhere that water is getting into the oil. There wasn't evidence of it when I got the engine, but perhaps whatever got damaged in the wreck wasn't evident as it immediately stopped running. 

 

I have another good bottom end that is freshened up, so I'll put the new head on the known good bottom end and then sort through the rest after I am up and running.

I look forward to seeing the car on the big banks in April.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2023 at 12:52 AM, Fetterhund said:

Bought a brand-spanking-new head. The timing cover leak was just the tip of the iceberg for the "new" motor. Done messing with used stuff not working out. Also been playing with my new RaceCapture/Pro Mk4, so much potential, I just need to look-up the ID's for everything and write a few lua scripts and it'll be all set. 

Sorry to hear it’s a bigger problem. Keep your head up and put together a good running engine no more low mileage junkyard stuff

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Driving to Cars & Coffee allowed me to find a couple of things, namely the clunk in the RF and empty P/S fluid

 

Random, rarely touched power steering fitting loose/leaking, radius arm mount loose, who would have thought Sebring would rattle stuff?

 

Also

 

Changed oil

Replaced fire extinguisher powder damaged big car radio , went over all radio stuffs, tested handhelds

Looked over everything, started new to do list

Discussed what tires we are ordering this time.

 

26 days tll Green @ Rd Atl.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the engine fired for the first time 2 days ago.  Now just working on exhaust.  Should have the car done this week.

 

It's gonna have a new windshield, fixed wing, new exhaust, new struts, new brake pads, new shift boot, new window net...  ooph.  It's been a lot of work!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2023 at 8:32 AM, Team Infiniti said:

New yi4k camera and 5g t-mobile hotspot acquired, now to figure out the rest.

Ed,

Do you have a specific type of mount for this camera that you can quickly undo, change the battery and put back in?

thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...