Aero tubing...

Hi Mender, 

I'm looking for some kind of switchable fuel vent line valve that I can open when refueling and then close when done. You always have good info. to share so I thought I would hijack your post.  lol

Thanks Ron

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ronh911 said:

Hi Mender, 

I'm looking for some kind of switchable fuel vent line valve that I can open when refueling and then close when done. You always have good info. to share so I thought I would hijack your post.  lol

Thanks Ron

The old NASCAR vent valve and catch can might be what you're looking for or could build. I have one of these on the Fiero, it works well.

The valve was at the end of the vent line and was opened by a probe that stuck out of the catch can. The catch can man would put the catch can in place to open the vent and catch excess fuel when the tank was full. He would let the gas man know when fuel flowed into the catch can.

They don't use that system anymore so you might be able to find some used parts in the back of a NASCAR shop or trailer or on racingjunk. 

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-nascar-catch-23084906

For a simpler set-up, a large ball valve on the vent line would also work and could be remotely operated by a cable if desired.

Edited by mender
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

@mender

Pic of the car side you have?

Mimicking Yoda, you are?

You mean of the vent valve?

1248751736_DSCI0004(1).JPG.0e43dbaef9154fc57568bf64134b8c6f.JPG2029411744_DSCI0005(1).JPG.d6b472ad3b861b185cc668d8a3de69b7.JPG

On one of the science forums I was on my forum name was OldGuy1 - OG1 for short, and OG1 Kenobi for long. :)

Edited by mender
  • Haha 2

This is interesting, fuel vent valve could probably be a not high pressure sealing butterfly valve and help solve the issue of gushing out fuel when full in turns. Easy to actuate with cable, fuel cap, etc. Spring loaded and jam a piece of plastic tubing in while filling. 

This place sells aero extrusion struts if you want to make a structural item. https://carlsonaircraft-extrusions.com/aluminum-shapes/

If you call, make sure the lady that probably retired 20 yrs ago has all your info correct. 

F689574A-A0A9-423F-AC1A-81001EF6337B.jpeg

DE1029F9-2C33-4B13-B480-146813E05E14.jpeg

83D606F1-FFC6-4BE2-99BD-212D3BA3CBD3.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BeastZ06 said:

This is interesting, fuel vent valve could probably be a not high pressure sealing butterfly valve and help solve the issue of gushing out fuel when full in turns. Easy to actuate with cable, fuel cap, etc. Spring loaded and jam a piece of plastic tubing in while filling. 

That's basically what the old NASCAR vent valve was, a flat plate held against a sealing surface with a spring. The probe or whatever pushed the plate off the sealing surface to open the valve and popped back into place when the probe was removed.

• Like 1

Back to the topic.

This video demonstrates the difference in drag that shape makes, and those who watch it to the end might a little surprised about cable vs airfoil induced drag.

I have a high capacity flowbench that I could use to do similar measurements, never thought of using it for this. :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...