Brainerd + 7

Another sunny day for racing in Central Minnesota.

A couple of cars that DNF'ed on Saturday are back. The #49 Slugworks Honda suffered an axle/bearing failure and did not have spares on hand. They were able to fetch parts from Minneapolis overnight and make repairs.

The #4 Mid-engine Crisis Toyota MR2 made only a couple of laps on Saturday before developing a rod knock. It turns out that a dent in the oil pan was restricting flow to the oil pickup screen. They were able to locate a good used engine that needed valve work, so transferred their head to the short block. It's running today with the oldest driver entered here on their team. Ron Verhagen has been involved in ice racing since the last ice age. He is now 68 years old.

Guest Taylorcraftbc65

The problem of the dent in the MR2's oil pan just goes to show that there is no such thing as too close a pre-race inspection. On close inspection of the car's pan, perhaps the dent would have been seen, and a few light taps on the removed pan from the inside would have saved the rod bearings on that motor. After reading about this, you had better believe that if I ever see ANY dents in one of MY pans, the pan is coming off the day that I see the dent, and the pan will be repaired or replaced. THANKS for giving us the cause of the oiling problem, now we can benefit from the other team's misfortune. I hope that they do REALLY WELL today. Brie

It's going to be awesome to see those guys get out there. They had a rough first day, and we're happy that they're chumping it out to make it onto grid this morning!

• Like 1

The race is on with one more late entry. B.I.R. track owner Jed Copham is on the track in the Honda Prelude he ran here last year.

The #81 Miata is squealing like a pig. There is a leak in the exhaust manifold gasket that is creating a high-pitched whistle that disappears whenever the driver lets off the throttle.

... if I ever see ANY dents in one of MY pans, the pan is coming off the day that I see the dent, and the pan will be repaired or replaced. ...

If I ever see a dent in the oil pan of my ChumpCar it will be a very expensive replacement. The Saab 900 oil pan is part of the gearbox case, made of cast aluminum. :rolleyes:

Guest jerry

We did notice the dent in the oil pan when the engine was removed from the 168000 mile running doner car. And we noticed it every time we worked on the thing. I knew it was wrong just didn't know why it was wrong and so it was left as is. So we got to have another all nighter working on the ill-Eagle.

Our team name Mid Engine Crisis is definatly right for the car.

Guest Taylorcraftbc65

Well, I truly hope that you guys do well today.

We did notice the dent in the oil pan when the engine was removed from the 168000 mile running doner car. And we noticed it every time we worked on the thing. I knew it was wrong just didn't know why it was wrong and so it was left as is. So we got to have another all nighter working on the ill-Eagle.

Our team name Mid Engine Crisis is definatly right for the car.

At 10:00am

EC #23 Brake Dusters, BMW 540, 33 laps

1. #26 Shake N Bake, Toyota, 33 (-12.576 sec)

2. #49 Slugworks, Honda, 33 (-38.002 sec)

3. #70 Speed Doctors, BMW, 33 (-1:33.781)

4. #38 Chump Races, BMW, 31

5. #58 Speedlab, BMW, 31

6. #20 Most Interesting, BMW, 30

7. #99 Short Bus, VW, 30

8. #66 Holy Rollers, Acura, 30

9. #3 Three Sheets, 27

10. #81 Party Cat, 27

EC #37 Acme Racing, Honda, 27

11. #31 Chester of the Apocalypse, Mazda, 27

1. #99, 61 laps

2. #26, 61 (-19.684 sec)

EC #23, 61 (-22.622)

3. #49, 61 (-48.770)

4. #70, 61 (-51.424)

5. #58, 59

6. #38, 59

7. #66, 58

EC #37, 54

8. #3, 53

9. #33, 53

10. #81, 51

11. #31, 51

After nearly two hours of racing, there are five cars on the lead lap, though #99 pitted on the next lap. No major issues today, though a few cars have made longish pit stops.

... No major issues today, ...

I lied.

#51 British-American Racing BMW has been packed into the trailer with engine issues. A broken fan belt led to overheating which led to a warped head.

#20 Most Interesting Chumps BMW sheared all of the engine mounts. They were able to borrow parts from other BMW teams, but it appears that the radiator may be damaged.

#31 Chester of the Apocalypse Mazda is behind the wall with a slipping clutch again today. They are not going to attempt repairs.

#4 Mid-engine Crisis MR2 is out with a sour engine. Rod knock is the diagnosis.

#43 Ambitious But Rubbish (ABR) has made numerous stops in an attempt to stem oil leaks.

I have been out taking photos and pointing a radar gun at fast cars. Which would you like to hear about first? Standings? Sure!

At 1:00pm

1. #26 - 118 laps

EC #23 - 117

2. #70 - 117

3. #49 - 116

4. #38 - 116

5. #58 - 115

6. #66 - 115

7. #33 - 111

8. #3 - 106

9. #99 - 105

EC #37 - 99

10. #6 - 99

Drivers told me they gain a few MPH after turn 2, and hit top speed just before they brake for turn 3, an acute right hander. So I stood near the braking zone for 3, catching cars before they nailed the brakes.

#23 - 107 mph

#3 - 107 mph

#26 - 106 mph

#66 - 106 mph

#33 - 104 mph

#70 - 104 mph

There are other fast cars but I didn't catch all of them. #23 & #3 were clearly the fastest.

The 2:00 report:

EC #23 Brake Dusters - 148 laps

1. #70 - 147

2. #26 - 145

3. #38 - 145

4. #66 - 144

5. #58 - 143

6. #49 - 142

7. #33 - 141

8. #3 - 135

EC #37 - 127

9. #99 - 126

10. #6 - 123

#49 Slugworks ran out of fuel on track but was able to limp back to the pits under its own power. #26 was not so lucky, coming to a stop in turn 5. A couple of rookie drivers stopped, so as not to pass another car under a yellow flag, which confused the more experienced driver of #33 and he passed one of them as it started moving again. That led to a quick stop-and-go penalty for #33.

#22 BMW is back on track after repairs were made.

At 3:00pm, six hours in to today's race.

EC #23 - 175 laps

1. #70 - 174

2. #58 - 172

3. #66 - 171

4. #26 - 171

5. #38 - 170

6. #33 - 170

7. #49 - 169

8. #3 - 162

9. #99 - 152

EC #37 - 152

10. #6 - 145

#26 ran out of fuel on track and lost a couple of laps while being towed in. They also broke a lug stud and had to make repairs.

#99 had to replace a rear wheel bearing so lost time in the pits.

At the finish....

#70 Speed Doctors BMW joins the list of ChumpCar winners by taking the checkered flag just a minute 38 ahead of the #58 Speedlab BMW. After retirements by a couple of early front runner, third place went to the #26 Shake N Bake Toyota MR2.

EC #23 Brake Dusters, BMW 540 - 204 laps

1. #70 Speed Doctors, BMW 325 - 203

2. #58 Speedlab, BMW - 203

3. #26 Shake N Bake, Toyota MR2 - 200

4. #33 Tubby Butterman, BMW 325 - 200

5. #38 Chump Races Chump Faces, BMW 325 - 199

6. #49 Slugworks, Honda Civic - 199

7. #3 Three Sheets, Ford Contour - 189

8. #99 Team Short Bus, VW Golf - 182

EC #37 Acme Racing, Honda Prelude - 179

9. #66 Holy Rollers, Acura - 174

10. #6 Hackcent, Hyundai Accent - 169

#66 Holy Rollers wore their brakes completely out in the final hour, through the pad material, through the backing plate, into the brake caliper piston, until the piston popped out of the caliper and there was no fluid left.

#38 Chump Faces BMW had an electrical issue late in the race and spent the final laps in the pits.

That's too bad... all GREAT ChumpCar teams... however, by leaving early, that'll give them 1 extra day to work on their cars in preparation for for the 14-hour race in July. It's coming... to a race track near you! The Good - The Bad - The Ugly 14 Hours of Brainerd
always the promoter...you are awesome Master!

Guest benracin

On behalf of Team HACKcent I just want to say WAHOO!!! We had a GREAT time on what was a real story book weekend for us. Thanks for putting on such a great race with such great people.

• Technical Advisory Committee

Team #66 Holy Rollers had a great time at BIR. Thanks to the Track staff and CCWS staff for putting on a great race weekend.

With 1 hour to go on Sunday, our left front caliper failed and started hanging up. within minutes we had a complete brake failure which led to a small brake fluid fire and a DNF for us.

I took over 400 photos this weekend. 4 or 5 turned out pretty good. I just posted 125 of them on Flickr. Judge for yourself.

/>http://www.flickr.com/photos/winktimber/sets/72157626774943321/

Chump Team Special Deal!!!

A CD with all the Hi-Res (12mp - 4000x3000 pixels unedited) photos of one car/team for $60!

Minimum of 5 photos on the CD. Individual Hi-Res photos available, too. Write for pricing.

email: bigcheese@winktimber.com

post-487-130737766048_thumb.jpg

On behalf of Team HACKcent I just want to say WAHOO!!! We had a GREAT time on what was a real story book weekend for us. Thanks for putting on such a great race with such great people.

Team HACKcent was awarded the Chump Trophy for the weekend. They had their paperwork in order and played by the rules, and just seemed to be having a good time at the races. The Hyundai Accent may not have been fast, but it was consistent and finished both days.

post-487-130738437727_thumb.jpg

What a great weekend of racing!

Like Tim, I took a lot of photos (I think I ended up with ~1500 shots total, definitely a few of each car). I'm still sorting, editing, and posting photos and will continue to do so this week. I'll post them later this week.

On behalf of Ambitious But Rubbish Racing, I would like to congratulate all of our fellow competitors on an exceptionally clean race. We would also like to appologize to the STP team for taking the number 43, you're welcome to have it back in the future. We were lucky to make it to the race at all after a member of Ramsey County's Finest pointed out a few issues with our very chumpy trailer, we had to scramble to rent another trailer and just made it to the track in time for tech inspection. Luckily we had only made it a mile or so from home before we got stopped or he probably wouldn't have been very likely to let us tow it back home. Our crapcan plodded along with 5 rookie drivers at the wheel all day both days, with the only breakage being the speedo cable and the only other lost time being due to a black flag for oil smoke due to loose valve cover bolts. A resounding success for our first race and we're looking forward to the next BIR race in July.

• Technical Advisory Committee

On behalf of Ambitious But Rubbish Racing, I would like to congratulate all of our fellow competitors on an exceptionally clean race. We would also like to appologize to the STP team for taking the number 43, you're welcome to have it back in the future. We were lucky to make it to the race at all after a member of Ramsey County's Finest pointed out a few issues with our very chumpy trailer, we had to scramble to rent another trailer and just made it to the track in time for tech inspection. Luckily we had only made it a mile or so from home before we got stopped or he probably wouldn't have been very likely to let us tow it back home. Our crapcan plodded along with 5 rookie drivers at the wheel all day both days, with the only breakage being the speedo cable and the only other lost time being due to a black flag for oil smoke due to loose valve cover bolts. A resounding success for our first race and we're looking forward to the next BIR race in July.

We too had similar trouble on our 10 hr journey from Chicago. We were busted for an out of date registration sticker on the plate, and not a crap-can trailer. The officer was convinced that the owner of the truck/trailer was using the sticker on other non-registered vehicles.

That is pretty good for a first Chumpcar race! Our teams first crap-can race weekend consisted of breakdowns galore. I am glad you guys will be back running with us again. Holy Rollers will not be making the 10hr trip back to Brainerd, but good luck at Chump weekend #2 for Team Ambitious But Rubbish Racing.

Thanks to everyone from "The Most Interesting Chumps in the World"

It was our first race and we had a blast. Special thanks to British American Racing for their advice and parts when we were in need. Also to Chump Faces and Slugworks for helping us out with tools and parts when we were really poorly prepared. We are going to spend the next few weeks getting the car put back together and should be ready for the 14 hour in July. Hope it does not get cancelled, we are already registered.

Thanks again for a great weekend!!