Roebling?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, busy day, I don't even know who won :rolleyes:

Hot day at a very cool track!

Great day of racing. These results are my best effort, but not official. The scoring system display went down with 15 minutes left in the race. The 08 GFY Black 300 ZX, which has at least 2 previous wins, and numerous podium finishes, went out early with a broken control arm. The New sister car, the Red 16 Nissan 300 ZX was in contention and came in third. The number 9 pink pokadot Miata came in second. First Place went to the number 48 Green White Lemons Nissan 240 ZX. Great result for them. They were leading the inaugral race at Roebling back in August 2010 with one half hour to go and had their engine blow up. Great comeback performance by 48. Congratulations !

As for the 71 Chevy Malibu, we had worked our way into third very close to the lead lap just after the 3 pm break when we suddenly found ourselves without any gasoline in the tank. Damn I hate when that happens. We got towed in, re-fueled, and managed to finish fifth a couple laps behind the 4th place number 2 Baby Blitzen Benz.

The Malibu is BADASS! They've got some great drivers too. I can't wait to see some of my in-car camera as he comes by me in the turns in a Full drift. Fun car to watch. We had our share of problems with the VW. Stay tuned.

Race #1 at Roebling Road was a terrific, well run, largely uneventful affair. The top three cars were:

1) #43 BRE Racing -- Nissan 240sx

2) #16 FY2 Racing -- Nissan 300ZX

3) #9 (Team Unknown) -- Mazda Miata

Looking forward to another greatr race today!

The Malibu is BADASS! They've got some great drivers too. I can't wait to see some of my in-car camera as he comes by me in the turns in a Full drift. Fun car to watch. We had our share of problems with the VW. Stay tuned.

Yeah it is ! Last race at Roebling it went thundering by on the straight , and I was thinking , no big deal the golf would just eat it up once we started turning ....... damn thing cornered MUCH better than I was expecting!

Guest BBfanMR

It's now quiet hour at the Roebling Race

Same first, second and third....just updated number of laps

1) #16 - 96 laps

2) #28 - 94 laps

3) #48 - 93 laps

(Hmmmm, two Nissans and a Datsun)

Thank You for the updates - from ROEBLING ROAD - it's really appreciated! :D

Guest Florida e30

Thank You for the updates - from ROEBLING ROAD - it's really appreciated! :D

Although a BMW fan, the Nissan/Datsun teams leading are all great ... Having to choose, would go with the underdog Malibu, another great team we don't see enough off ... good racing to all .... :-)

1:30 Race Report...

Blistering hot weather here at Roebling and blistering hot racing....

1)#48 Tracks Unlimited - 147 laps

2)#28 Rust Riders - 147 laps

3)#40 Flying Tigers - 144 laps

Fourth and fifth places not far behind with 142 laps each

4)#71 One Piece at a Time ('81 Chev. Malibu)

5)#2 Blitzen Benz ('87 190E)

Guest BBfanMR

1:30 Race Report...

Blistering hot weather here at Roebling and blistering hot racing....

1)#48 Tracks Unlimited - 147 laps

2)#28 Rust Riders - 147 laps

3)#40 Flying Tigers - 144 laps

Fourth and fifth places not far behind with 142 laps each

4)#71 One Piece at a Time ('81 Chev. Malibu)

5)#2 Blitzen Benz ('87 190E)

Yehaw! Come on Baby Blitzen - get on up there !! B)

Roebling Race results for Sunday's race...

1)#48 Tracks Unlimited, 261 laps

2)#28 Rust Riders, 261 laps

3)#71 One Pieceat a Time, 255 laps

4)#2 Blitzen Benz, 250 laps

5)#131 Black Sheep Racing, 249 laps

Amazing finish...20 second finish between 1st and 2nd place! Second place car out of gas on the final stretch. First place car lost 5th gear with half an hour to go. Flying Tigers Miata who had been running in third, dropped to twelfth due to engine problems. Made room for the Malibu who took full advantage. Overall, great day of intense racing in the heat.

Full race results to be posted tomorrow night.

Yeah it is ! Last race at Roebling it went thundering by on the straight , and I was thinking , no big deal the golf would just eat it up once we started turning ....... damn thing cornered MUCH better than I was expecting!

Thanks for the compliments. The Malibu lost a belt and made one extra pit stop after the lunch break, but overall we are very proud of our performance.

When i first arrived at Roebling and saw a VW Bug, i thought-- wow great looking car--won't last long in this heat with an air cooled 70 HP motor, but cool race car anyways.

Well.... let me tell you, first of all they drove the tires off the thing. There was many a turn where they had the front inside tire in the air !!!! Drove it on three wheels the whole weekend. Might even have a big fat Porsche motor in it, who knows ???? But, it outlasted and out drove a lot of other cars, and they were there at 5pm Sunday. Great job by the JB Bugs Team. I took many good pictures of the Bug which i will post. Please let us see some of your videos with the Malibu.

As the number 40 Flying Tigers Miata and the number 9 Polka Dot Miata were locked up drafting down the front straight (got a picture of it) I heard someone on pit lane ask if they were allowed to bump draft in Chump Car and maybe they should receive some penalty laps. In true Chump Car fashion, they were both recognized for their incredible driving effort in the 100 degree heat with about an hour to go in the race. They were each given an AWARD !!!! IMHO, Awesome move by the Chump Car Staff !!!!!

Driving with the # 31 Golf pickup of the Organ Donors/Protech Racing was a blast, so much so I decided to stay another evening, umm well I didn't decide, my new friend/co-driver Eddie generously offered transportation here from Fl in his motor home, IT decided to stay the evening firmly locked in place refusing to build enough air pressure to release the air brakes nor inflate the suspension... Hopefully we get going tomorrow.

Thanks for a great weekend Mike and everyone.

On our way and it felt great, especially in that lil pickup rounding t2-4 flat out :P

Hey Bonecrusher, can I get a copy of that picture of our Miatas? We were very honored to be recognized for 'creative racing'. Out team and two others were trying to find someway to keep up some of those high horsepower cars on the front straight.

Great weekend, great people, great racing. That is what makes Chumpcar great!

Ricky

Guest robweenerpi

I had a good time Roebling is a fun little track. The corners are so fast. Our new wheels and tires were a nice improvement over the previous trip. The test Friday was very productive and my guys made steady improvement in lap times all day. I was really pleased because in the end everybody needs to be fast to have a positive result. Then came Saturday's race. A nightmare plagued by fuel issues. We just couldn't get fuel from the tank to the rail. We began losing power, sputtering along, and running lean. After lunch I insisted we take everything apart clean and inspect all the parts and put the cell back together. We found our cell was being clogged with debris from internal components breaking down from the pump gas we're putting in them. We cleaned both filters, particulate and paper, and blew a ton of brown F.O.D. out of the lines. After putting it back together JD was able to go out and run some laps and break the car back in for Sunday.

Sitting on pit lane warming up for the start the car must of formed a puddle of something because the team called me in before the start. Rolling down pit road I could see the green wave. Given the amount of dis-assembly required on fuel components the day before I didn't mind them checking to make sure it wasn't fuel because fire is hot. Mickey Carter put me a lap down early and using traffic to his advantage put me two down early in the stint. We were running nose to tail for the better part of half an hour and I wasn't going to try a move on him unless I could make it stick because the cars were so evenly matched. Then he got balked in turn 9 and I got a good run drafted down the front straight and made a clean move into T1. A lap later the red car was gone, I didn't see him but apparently he had a quick excursion into the gravel. I was happy for the breathing room.

We ran in second place most of the day as the other guys took their turns behind the wheel and then came the most eventful stint. FY2 #16 had a big off in T3 and we ate up their five lap lead quickly. However, the Lemonize #48 was catching us up from behind. They had a fast driver in and he put them firmly in the lead. Leo the car owner really wanted a strong finish and some hardware because we've been so close before. So he decided to throw me back in instead of taking his final stint. We had a podium in hand at Rockingham and the car let me down, it was time for redemption.

We were due for a stop at the final break for a driver change and I got ready and hopped in. We had two problems we were 3 laps down leaving pit lane, and I can burn and entire fuel load at Roebling in just under 2 hours in this old Z car. So in order to have a chance at the win I would have to drive fast laps while saving gas, an oxymoron if there ever was one. The guys gas the car to the brim and shut the trunk. I turn on the kill switch, the gauges light up, and the cool shirt starts flowing. I reach for the key and nothing happens. No clicking from the starter or relay. Nothing happens the starter is dead. NOT AGAIN! I get a push start and the car fires. I head out onto track and start working on un-lapping myself. I told the guys to watch the interval and lap times of my car and the 48. Bill our pit guy for the weekend did the math and it was possible to get myself on the lead lap by the end so I pushed as hard I could. Using the curbs every lap and making up time as quick as I could. There were certainly some exciting moments. As I approached the 48 for the first time into T1 with a group of cars I made a mistake and locked up a bit. I went wide on turn entry and lost about 10 seconds. I caught them again about 4 laps later and they were following a car through 4 and into 5. I layed back and got a run slipping by on the inside of 5 cleanly. 1 lap down two to go. I was able to pull away and began catching the Malibu.

The Malibu is faster in the corners now than the last time I saw it. And the drivers seem like they enjoy giving just enough room so that when you make a move to pass you have two wheels in the dirt. They problem is they have a boatload of chebby power and can defend their position really well, you have to pass them in 2-4 or they'll roll by you on the straight after 9. Not wanting to lose further laps from my car after throwing a belt earlier in the race they made it tough to get by. After a lap I was able to squeak by entering T4 (in the grass) and pull away. After about half and hour I was approaching the 48 from behind again now only a lap down after their stop, I had the chance to put myself back onto the lead lap. I got close in the back of the course and the driver got a bit loose exiting 9 onto the straight. I had a good run and stayed flat from the exit of the carousel. Closing quickly the 48 saw there was no hope I had a 10mph advantage and moved to the inside letting me by. A gentlemanly move but I still had a lap of track position to make up in 45 minutes. Not easy as the green hood wasn't disappearing quickly from my mirror.

The track began to clear as cars broke but some seemed to be limping around. It made passing tough as the closing speeds were fast. Tip toeing around wanting to keep the 2nd place but wanting to catch the 48 I kept on it. Then with about a half hour to go JD told me on the radio the 48 had problems. They were searching for gears and slowing slightly. I began to close at a rate of 4 to 5 seconds per lap. Holy crap, I could still make this happen. Fuel be damned I was going to apply some pressure. The track was clear and I put down a few good ones down including a low 1.26 when I had a totally clear lap. I could see the 48 in T3 when I was on the straight. But in between us was one big white #71 Chevy Malibu. Son of a complain! With their torque they could hold me off for 2 or 3 laps so I had to ask for a favor. I got on the radio and asked if they'd let me by since it was so late in the race. Scott Taggert, the lawyer on our team, went to talk to them. I got the call back as I caught them the driver would let me by. Sweet! I pulled up on the Malibu exiting 9 and he lifted letting me have the track. Thanks Guys! With about 15 minutes to go I could see I was catching the 48 quickly. JD said they had slowed considerably. I thought I had a fish in a barrel, they only had 3/4ths of the front straight on me. Then with 9 minutes to go exiting turn 2 the engine sputtered. I was extremely low on fuel. I lowered my speed from the 26's and 27's I was running to 30's and 31's. Coasting into turns and using 4th all the way around the track. I was still catching them but I only had maybe two gallons of gas and 20 miles to go. Slowly the starvation became worse and worse and I was sweating bullets in the car. The last two laps were a struggle to even keep the car running. JD asked me on the radio if I could make it to the end. I said yes, knowing we had enough on the 71 the 'end' might as well be on the side of the track. It would cut off for what seems like 5 seconds at a time and was starving in all corners. I had to wiggle the car on the straights to get fuel on the pickup and hope was lost. Both the 48 and I were wounded ducks, maybe they would break, maybe I would run out of gas. I could only hope those little bits of synchro floating around in their gearbox would cause a problem but it was no hope. Exiting turn 8 I ran out of gas. A couple sputters through 9 allowed me to coast to the line in a hard fought 2nd place. It's our best result and still feels like a win. We are super happy, and hope everybody else had a good time too. We'll see you at VIR!

On a side note it was stinking hot, but I still didn't expect to run into Satan incarnate.

Edited by ChumpCar
"Keeping it cool..."

I had a good time Roebling is a fun little track...

ChumpCar hads added: Blah...blah...blah (see above and yes, I'm still keeping the edit.

Great Job to you and your team. It was a great ending to a very hot day. Your driving was awesome! The whole #28 team is the best, people like them make chumpcar what it is. But I guess the best thing about this series is how close friends you become with the competitors.

I have to give a major shout out to our #4 driver and mechanic Rob Farley. For preparing the car and making it last with only 4th gear for 30+ mins. Way to GO Rob!!! Thanks for bringing home the P1 for a team that never gave up!

Big thanks to our other team mates Jerry Stout and Mark West! Good job guys!

Most of all Glory to God for keeping everyone safe and allowing us a chance to compete with our friends.

thx

Micheal Peden #48

Guest wanksta

Awesome race!! I was driving the 48 at the end of Sunday. The first time Rob caught me, I knew he was faster but wanted to make him earn it. I saw you try to brake when I do with poor result, lol. I thought "Sweet, that should buy me a few more laps". I wanted to watch and learn a few laps after you passed me but soon noticed that if I went into a corner at anything better that .5 Gs, the oil pressure went south. Thank you Nissan for that 3.7 qt oil pan, lol. I couldnt let my team down. They all worked their tails off to give me a 2 lap lead and a 3rd blown engine at Roebling was not an option either. After 30 laps of watchin the oil pressure gauge all the way thru every corner, I was about to puke in my helmet! Then Rob catches me again. I let him by in 9 cause tryin to hang would have surely blown the engine. On that lap, with 30 minutes left, the trans jumps out of 5th. Rowing thru the gears revealed that the only one left was 4th. So now I have to change my lines again. Kamikaze into corners off throttle to make time, go slow thru them, and exit under almost no Gs to maintain oil pressure. Not the fastest way around the track. I wasnt really being a gentleman, but I was nursing a severely wounded, heroic little car. Thanks to everyone out there for a great race! I cant wait to do it again.

Our e36 finally completed a whole race weekend! We fought some fueling issues because of a clogged fuel filter causing our car to lean out during full throttle but the little motor didn't blow up despite our best efforts. Finishing the races was as good as first place for us. Unfortunately our car is still WAY down on power so a new motor or a rebuild may be in order.

Again, a big thanks to everyone who has helped us out.