Squirrels Of Fury list of what we fixxed

04 Rabbit Man

Well we did work our butts off keeping cars on the track. I know I still had fun.

here is a brief run down of repairs.

Audi

Engine swap

Brake bleed

Reinstall #2 spark plug (came out on its own)

First wall hit & brake conversion to rabbit stuff (ran out of audi parts)

Second wall hit had to go to the frame rack (my 3500 dodge + strap)

T boned by a mustang trying to keep up in the wet spun right in to me.

The timing was great there was only one time that both cars were in for work at the same time.

Scirocco

Fuel tuning (running lean)

loss of compression lead to an in frame rebuild with the pistons out of the audis engine and reusing a head gasket (had to retorque the head but held after that)

Fuel pump died so we put a new one in.

Low brake peddle so we installed a new master helped a bit.

Clutch was not disengaging right so we pulled the trans and changes pressure plate and clutch shaft.

The sincros were gone in third forth and fifth but I had given our spare trans to another teem so we just kept running it.

heck that dose not even look like that much work when you write it out like that.

Thanks to all of the team it took every one to make it happen!

A big thanks to Sam for keeping everyone on task and knowing what to do, you are an awesome crew chef.

Also thanks to all the teams that cheered us on and helped us out. It was great to see all the people waving and clapping for us when we came back on the track after major repairs.

Hank

Guest TroubleOnWheels

heck that dose not even look like that much work when you write it out like that.

Really? Cause, um, what I'm seeing is a month worth of work for most people. There's three motor swaps, a tranny swap, multiple brake rebuilds/fixes in there somewhere, along with a lot of other stuff. You must have been sore come Monday!

Guest Methius

Man... we have a puny list compared to you guys...

Shift linkage..that's it (and thanks to the Pole Position team for helping us out here). We did end up with a hole in the oil pan, and a ruined front caliper.. but that didnt stop us from finishing the race

Guest Superdave

Really? Cause, um, what I'm seeing is a month worth of work for most people. There's three motor swaps, a tranny swap, multiple brake rebuilds/fixes in there somewhere, along with a lot of other stuff. You must have been sore come Monday!

Hank forgot to add help another team replace transmission.

Guest Superdave

A friend bought this car after a team had crashed it in a 24 hours of Lemons race http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

You can see the crash here
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPc0bAOce64

We sort of patched it together and ran it at the Reno/Fernley Lemons race. Because the 5cyl. Engine had been overheated several times we put in an ABA code 2.0l engine.

It looked really sad with Jetta fenders and a PT cruiser nose on it that was mounted upside down. With the fenders mounted to the inner fenders you can see how far off the body was twisted. The strut tower is still very far back, up and in, but Hank aligned it as best possible.

We barely got it running the day we were leaving for Reno, and spent all day Friday (testing day in Reno) trying to get some drivability out of it. At the end of the day, the best we could get still had a huge dead spot in the midrange and with the wide ratio transmission the car had to be over revved every shift to get it to pull the next gear. Well it ran that way most of the first day before a valve gave up. Then there was a tough decision, hang out at the track and sleep that night or find an engine (since we left a spare at home) and swap it in. We found a 1.6 and put it in and almost had it running before midnight.

The next day it had a lot less power, but it ran great, well until that engine gave up. Fortunately it gave up at the end of the day and we were able to get towed across the finish line to take the checker.

Well I had an amazing time at the track, the car surprised all of us, and it actually drove great. The previous owner upgraded it to powerslot rotors (solid not vented) and it still had rear drums, but it had great braking ability. While we disagreed on if it over-steered or under-steered, it was close and we agreed it handled great.

I decided to go crazy with theme and build it to look like the Audi Pikes Peak S1 that won in 1985, 86, and 87.

Needing to keep from spending money on theme that could be spent on performance items, the conversion would need to be done without spending any money. I started by collecting hoods, doors and roofs from a couple of body shops. While asking for tin from a few friends, I was offered some sheet aluminum that he had laying around from a long time ago (it looks like it was part of a shipping wrapper) and while it was too thin to use for the body, I found it to be perfect for building the rear wing, along with some tent poles and some plywood.

Armed with a box of rivets, a metal shear and a picture of the real car that I had printed off of my computer, I started on it.

I reattached 4000 fenders after cutting and bending existing metal to hold the fenders in the desired position. The only thing I needed to outsource was bending the rocker panels in a metal brake, which I almost needed to cut down to 4’ as that was the biggest brake I was able to find for a while but I did find someone who would bend it for me for free.

After that all bending was done with vise grips and a hammer. I also went through quite a bit of cardboard which was used as patterns.

For the rear wing I wanted to try and look as correct as possible, but needed it to minimize it’s function, because with only approximately 150 hp instead of 750 the real car had, we couldn’t afford the drag. Luckily I just helped my mom clean out a storage area and she was throwing out some old tents, so I decided to use the tent poles as stiffeners while using some plywood glued together and shaped to the desired chord for the wing.

The factory wing is difficult to describe, but similar to a biplane there are two wing platforms with each platform divided into three separate wing elements that are lined up one behind the other and different angles of attack. To minimize effect as well as simplify construction I am only using two elements on a single platform, and if we find there is still too much drag, the design will allow it to be adjusted easily.

Once I was satisfied with the shape, it was off to paint. Well roll out of the garage and attack with rattle cans anyway. Fortunately the car was already in white so it did not take too much to sharpen it up. But here I really wished I knew about spray can triggers as I nearly killed my finger painting. Then for trying to match the correct paint job and sponsorship logos for the car, I tried many different methods. Stencil and spray, tape off and spray, free hand, tape off and trace the tape, but the best seemed to be stencil and trace with sharpie and then have my daughter fill in with paint.

It looked so good; it really needed to have a hood even though it was unlikely we would be able to use the hood, as the intake for the 4cyl engine we are using again is so tall.

We have fixed the scirocco as it didn’t survive Reno either and expanded the team to have enough drivers to run a true 24 hour race that is being put on by Chump Car
/>http://chumpcar.com/ on Halloween. Chump Car is similar to Lemons in many ways, most importantly trying to take the need for money out of racing and put the fun back in.

11 days to the race and we still have not fired the engine; I really hope we get it running before we leave for the track!

Well, in the end we got the car running great a few days before we left for Portland and our list of needs for the car were whittled down to a few wants.

Once in Portland we rolled through safety tech without any issues and didn’t have any problems with the “cheating†inspection either. The Audi got a lot of compliments and was well received by all.

I was allowed to have the first drive and took the green flag at 12:30 and started off very slow, driving like crap because I was watching gauges more than the track (this was the first time around PIR) and made it ~5 laps before oil pressure problems and bad lower end noises started.

2.5 hours later and we were back on the track with a spare motor we brought.

During the engine swap I found a CIS failure that was completely new to me, the shaft the airflow sensor plate pivots on had lost the circlip, plug and ball that locates the shaft horizontally.

After a few adjustments to the old early CIS (non-e) including the "do not touch" individual cyl. mixture screws, the car was running great and put in several hours of great racing in.

Then the brakes gave out, with earplugs (radio communication) in and a driver unfamiliar with the car, the piston pushed through the brake pad backing plate!!!!!!!!!

/>http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/topic/267-picture-request-glowing-brakes/

When the piston went out that far, the fluid decided it would rather spill out than do it's part in slowing us down and the driver decided not to use other cars for the task, but ran out of options when a tire wall came at him fast with a concrete barrier for back up.

Well only body damage resulted, and we got to discover that the rabbit vented rotors we had as backup for the other car would bolt up. So back out on the track it went with a brake upgrade we did not plan on.

Next driver out and it is 3:00 in the morning and the fog rolls in thick. At this time I am in our other car attempting to navigate my way around the track in the scirocco when I hear the Audi went into the wall again. This time the Armco had quite a bit more punch and pushed the frame into the tire, but still the damage is concentrated on the left front. The electric fan left a perfect imprint on the front of the radiator, while it wrapped around the lower core support bar.

Meanwhile I am busy wondering where the track goes with sudden surprises of wet grass dead ahead. But I got lucky and after a long slide through the grass, I was able to turn on a return road before hitting anything. Shortly after that I decided that I should not be on the track as the fog was getting even worse and after I radioed in but before I made it to pit in, they flagged the race and had all running cars pull up to start/finish and called a drivers meeting where we decided to red flag the race for about 3 hours until daylight.

Never say die.

So we pulled the frame out as far as we could with tow vehicle and with a little tweaking on the core support we were ready to put it back out on the track. The radiator still did not leak and we considered it form fitted. When the track went green again, we were back on the track with the Audi.

From the pit’s we heard the Audi sounding bad and called it in to find that a spark plug had backed out, but it torqued right up and back out again.

Then while Hank was in the car and he was passing a Mustang (we did a lot of passing when we ran) the Mustang he was passing spun directly into the side of the Audi and tore the door off and opened the door opening by about a foot. After recovery and several turns later our driver was passing the Mustang again and "communicating" with the other driver through the wide-open side of our car, then the other driver blatantly and in front of corner workers tried to spin us off the track. Fortunately Hank has circle track experience too and was able to drive out of it and was able to drive on while the other driver got black-flagged. We heard the driver (not the car) kicked off the track and the car got to sit for about an hour.

We heard from other drivers that the Audi was very intimidating on the track, and part of this was due to its looks and part was that some of our drivers would draft until the last moment before pulling out and the driver was described and frantically pointing us by.

Then the hours of racing started to take it’s toll on the well used engine that we brought as a spare and it was spewing oil everywhere, so we were limiting shifts to ~4000 rpm and with the very wide gear spacing we were really just lugging it around.

I was able to drive another teams car and happened to be in front of the Audi and held it off for several laps, mostly due to the Audi being driven conservatively at that time.

27.5 hours after I started the race, I was able to be in the car to finish the race and even got one last pass in on the mustang in the last turns of the last lap.

At the same time we also were running the scirocco, which was our other team car. Here is a picture of Hank blowing it up spectacularly in a previous 24 hours of lemons race.

(hanks flaming car and holes in block)

In the opening laps it was found to need some mixture adjustments and likely we did not catch them early enough and as soon as we finished the engine swap in the Audi, it came in with melted pistons. As we didn’t have another engine we did an in-frame rebuild using the pistons out of the engine that came out of the Audi. All used gaskets and the head from the Audi. Then the fuel pump quit, and shortly after that the scirocco came in with no brakes. Bleeding did not help and while we were waiting for a master cylinder we decided to pull the transmission, as the clutch was not releasing properly. We found some improper wear and replaced the clutch, we also found a bent release shaft, a quick run down the pits to the trans that was pulled out of another car (they had installed our spare trans with a little help from us) and we had a replacement part.

The master helped enough that the car was able to be sent out, but now the syncro’s were gone. Oh, well, careful shifts and it would last the remaining hours.

The timing was perfect as for only a very short period was both cars behind the wall. There was even a tight race between our cars and before the scirocco came in for brake problems and both cars were on the same lap.

Hank was able to finish the race in the scirocco and buzz the wall in good style.

Guest Andychump

It is definitely time the Squirrel's luck changed. When Hank drove our car we forgot to torque up the front nuts (dumb asses that we are) and he came in with the front wheels about to fall off - he didn't seem too fazed though (understandable with the rest of the action of the night!). I did shed a tear for Dave everytime I saw the Audi come back with another bent panel - the frontal was bad enough but when the door got torn off it just seemeed like a very cruel joke (that was an amazing effort on the theme).

Thanks again for the help getting our car going in the middle of everything else - we'll be rubbing the rabbit's foot for luck in the next race!

Guest Stefan Mullikin

Lets see for Cobra Kai there was:

Kill switch wasn't wired properly.

Brakes wouldn't bleed properly so we bled them about 3 times over the weekend

Swapped alternator

Dried out computer and remounted, plugged hole in body with duct tape

Disabled PCV valve

Changed plugs

Threw a rocker arm, replaced it

Replaced valve cover gasket

Tightened strut mounting bolts that came loose

Replaced two more rocker arms and a lifter

Replaced valve cover due to a rocker arm breaking the other one.

Installed factory splash shield under valve cover

Replaced intermediate shaft mounting bolts

Replaced missing CV Joint boot clamp with zip ties

After that we found the transmission was done and there was only 30 minutes left to go, not enough time to swap a FWD transaxle.

Yep, doesn't seem like much, but then why do I feel like I've been in a prize fight?

I just read guest-superdaves account of the race weekend, While it was a great race and everyone was extremely helpful towards each other. (some of our team even helped a bit with the Audi's engine swap in Reno at LeMons last year). I feel that our team was cast into a negative light, one that is contrary to all or our team members personas.

While our mustang did hit the transition from asphalt to concrete in turn three and spin, which did result in the contact with the Audi, while we are sorry and feel bad about that, it is racing and incidents do happen.

What I feel was wrong and uncalled for was the after action incident that was labeled as blatant and aggressive driving by our Mustang driver, while we continued on and stayed on line on the back straight, the Audi Driver who did have a much faster car caught us and initiated a "rubbing" of our car which almost caused another accident.

Please watch the clip and see for yourselves.

While we all try to end the day with only "our" paint on our cars, it is racing and things do happen. we all need to realize this and move on, because at the end of the day we do this for fun.

Sorry to have to bring this up but we will be racing many of you again and want this to be a clean race and have a lot of fun.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4tPiFxIy2o

Stu3

Guest village idiot

I was in the stands and watched the whole Audi/Mustang door removal procedure and have no affiliation with either team. It didn't look blatant at all to me. It was VERY cold and wet out there. That's exactly why several of us ran out to the stands to watch the re-start. We were expecting carnage. The MR2 with no front end almost crashed for the 1st 4 or 5 laps just trying to get around the festival turns solo. I saw you two going door to door into 3 and though "Holy Crap! In these conditions???" Then came the dreaded transition that anyone who's driven there in the wet knows all too well. It looks more dramatic in the vid than I remember but I could definately see a Mustang tank slapper going on.

Going around someone on the outside is always a risk. That incident is a pretty good example of why.

Well we did work our butts off keeping cars on the track. I know I still had fun.

here is a brief run down of repairs.

Audi

Engine swap

Brake bleed

Reinstall #2 spark plug (came out on its own)

First wall hit & brake conversion to rabbit stuff (ran out of audi parts)

Second wall hit had to go to the frame rack (my 3500 dodge + strap)

T boned by a mustang trying to keep up in the wet spun right in to me.

The timing was great there was only one time that both cars were in for work at the same time.

Scirocco

Fuel tuning (running lean)

loss of compression lead to an in frame rebuild with the pistons out of the audis engine and reusing a head gasket (had to retorque the head but held after that)

Fuel pump died so we put a new one in.

Low brake peddle so we installed a new master helped a bit.

Clutch was not disengaging right so we pulled the trans and changes pressure plate and clutch shaft.

The sincros were gone in third forth and fifth but I had given our spare trans to another teem so we just kept running it.

Thanks to all of the team it took every one to make it happen!

A big thanks to Sam for keeping everyone on task and knowing what to do, you are an awesome crew chef.

Also thanks to all the teams that cheered us on and helped us out. It was great to see all the people waving and clapping for us when we came back on the track after major repairs.

Hank

yah did a engine swap at 4th july PIR race by my self only missed one session.. but the spare engine sucked too finished 4th 4 laps down

I just read guest-superdaves account of the race weekend, While it was a great race and everyone was extremely helpful towards each other. (some of our team even helped a bit with the Audi's engine swap in Reno at LeMons last year). I feel that our team was cast into a negative light, one that is contrary to all or our team members personas.

While our mustang did hit the transition from asphalt to concrete in turn three and spin, which did result in the contact with the Audi, while we are sorry and feel bad about that, it is racing and incidents do happen.

What I feel was wrong and uncalled for was the after action incident that was labeled as blatant and aggressive driving by our Mustang driver, while we continued on and stayed on line on the back straight, the Audi Driver who did have a much faster car caught us and initiated a "rubbing" of our car which almost caused another accident.

Please watch the clip and see for yourselves.

While we all try to end the day with only "our" paint on our cars, it is racing and things do happen. we all need to realize this and move on, because at the end of the day we do this for fun.

Sorry to have to bring this up but we will be racing many of you again and want this to be a clean race and have a lot of fun.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4tPiFxIy2o

Stu3

From what I turn three was a racing incident, we got in the way of the mustang spinning off the track.

The back straight, hard for me to say, but the trun workers seemed to have a good enough view, and it was not our running to officials as the video claims that got your car impounded and the driver ejected.

Who got a "Award" for most visits to the penalty box?

Lets get over it, work together, and have a clean race next time.

Dave G.

For the record our driver was not ejected and the car was only off the track long enough to talk to the chief, then a driver switch and back on the track, no penalty, no wrecking crew. I apologize if it was not your driver that complained. I had bad information. sorry.

The only reason I replied to this posting at all was due to the statement by superdave that we had tried to run your driver Hank off the track on the back straight. our team strives to race clean and safe, I just wanted to clarify that point.

I, and my team are over it, and are ready and anxious to work together in future racing endeavors.

And yes we did win the award for most trips to the penalty box, mostly for blowing sound with our 88 horsepower of fury. but a trophy is a trophy right.

Thanks

Stu3

The Mustang vs. Audi video seems a little on the aggressive side, but this is my point of view as I was Driving the Audi and this is how I remember it. I came up on the mustang going into one, as we went into two the mustang was fighting for traction in the rear but the driver caught it and seemed to be in control. I had a good run on him at that point so I moved on the outside, it seemed that he was soft pedaling and would let me go but then I hear the tires break free and I got in the way of his spin. It was a hard hit and I was stunned and pissed off I felt like he had got back on the gas hard so that I would not get by (maybe he just did not have good control?) I got on the radio and told the crew what happend and that I was coming in But I really wanted to give this guy a piece of my mind. When I got along side him on the back straight all I had in mind was to tell him how I felt with my hand (Hindsite I should have just stayed back and limped into the pits) but when I got along side I said my piece and moved on by (very close but not touching) as I went by I felt contact (I'm glad I can catch a car thats turned sideways) it sure felt like he tried to pit me. Now that being said if I had wanted to take out the mustang I would not do it from the front I would have done it from behind and it would have met the wall. So veiw it as you want but the turn workers said the mustang was trying to pit the Audi.

I'm over it.

it's racing and I will hold no ill will next time we are on the track together.

I learned from this event and I will be better for it I hope you guys can say the same.

See you at the track.

Hank

Guest Madam Currie

Then while Hank was in the car and he was passing a Mustang (we did a lot of passing when we ran) the Mustang he was passing spun directly into the side of the Audi and tore the door off and opened the door opening by about a foot. After recovery and several turns later our driver was passing the Mustang again and "communicating" with the other driver through the wide-open side of our car, then the other driver blatantly and in front of corner workers tried to spin us off the track. Fortunately Hank has circle track experience too and was able to drive out of it and was able to drive on while the other driver got black-flagged. We heard the driver (not the car) kicked off the track and the car got to sit for about an hour.

We heard from other drivers that the Audi was very intimidating on the track, and part of this was due to its looks and part was that some of our drivers would draft until the last moment before pulling out and the driver was described and frantically pointing us by.

Hello Hank & Dave, I am the captn for the rockerz in dockers squard. I just wanted to touch base and let you know that I have pulled the video from youtube. Nobody on our team wanted controversy or ill feelings at all. Once we read the above recollection of how your team member described it, our video showed quite a different story & we wanted to clear the air (and especially our name & reputation). Your Audi was one of my favorites on the track. As you know our POS mustang only has 88 HP. We've done a lot of work to keep that crap-can together & somewhat competitive. As it turned out we were black flagged FOUR times for exhaust infractions (3 for outright db and the last one was when our final exhaust system flew off the car on turn two). And from watching these videos, many RWD cars were struggling when the track was wet & oily. I know our driver would have preferred to not slide into your pass on turn three.

I hope to see you all again, whether at ThunderHill, Infineon or Reno. I know you guys have spent a lot of time getting your car ready. As a matter of fact, I think I helped push your car back to pits when (Hank was driving, i think?) in Reno. I know you are good guys and hope you still think the same of our crew.

Cheers & good fortunes!

-www.rokkerzindokkerz.com

Yes, absolutly, lets get along and have fun racing.

Perhaps, you could re-edit the comments in the video and repost with comments disabled?

Perhaps saying something to the effect of

"An unfortunate racing incident in turn 3 lead to emotion from the drivers and no matter which driver you feel is at fault, lets try to not have things like this happen again. Lets try to keep the emotion we are having in racing FUN."

I plan on putting up a page with my race recap, but will edit that portion to something similiar to above.

Dave G