Post Sebring

Team Infiniti

Quick race update from the #19

We were surprised to find our car extremely competitive, running strong and reliably in 2nd place most of the day only to have sudden unexplained smoke inside the car traced to rear end overheating (5 laps after a uneventful fuel stop).

After looking things over and checking our spare parts we had no other option but to change the still full but burnt gear lube and return to the race where things seemed fine for 5-7 laps when lightning and flooding caused a red flag...

As of right now the rain has stopped and they are deciding if or when the race will continue.

Just back to our room, Wow what a great race, the winner in a 300xz, Taj and our infiniti took the checker drag racing for the flag.

We never recovered position from the 20 min pit stop to change the burnt gear lube, but what a ending!

Congrats guys! This sort a makes up for your last outing.(other than your room tonight does'nt have any hot nurses waiting on you) :lol:

Infinity, I was in the 300zx at the finish and man that was a blast with the 3 of us fighting through traffic!! You guys could pull me on the straights, and I could catch right back up to you under braking and cornering. I had no idea what time it was, or how many laps we had to go so I kept after it until I saw the checkers.

Just back to our room, Wow what a great race, the winner in a 300xz, Taj and our infiniti took the checker drag racing for the flag.

The last few laps with your car last night was the most fun I've had in a long time. Both of us were sliding off line trying to keep our cars on the pavement. We lost radio so I was just trying to pass everything hoping to make up a spot or two. Good race guys and we'll see you in 2012!

Those last minutes were a absolute blast!! :lol:

We had both a clock and some radio communications so apparently I was the only one to know the last lap was at hand and even though I was aware none of us were fighting for position there was no way a moment with all of us grouped together was going to waste ;)

That's what its all about, the fun!

Infinity, I was in the 300zx at the finish and man that was a blast with the 3 of us fighting through traffic!! You guys could pull me on the straights, and I could catch right back up to you under braking and cornering. I had no idea what time it was, or how many laps we had to go so I kept after it until I saw the checkers.

We might have been a little better matched in the brake dept but the steering wheel would shake like a paint mixer every time I tried to hang :blink:

Note to self: convince team we need bigger rims.

That last hour was interesting. You could go through turns 17 and 1 as fast as before the rain. Turns 10-16 were a whole nother story. Especially 16. I felt like I could get out and push the car faster through that corner.

Another fun race for sure.

It was weird but what made me pay attention was getting passed by cars I had been matched with or passing all day, a whole new group became dominant.

Guest BlackSheep1

Infinity, never got a chance to come by and talk to you guys again. Once our car decided it didn't want to run anymore in the Sept heat after 4 hours, we tucked our tail between our legs and went home.

I was the one driving (the rising sun Z31 300ZX) between 11AM and 1PM. Your guy passed me around 12:00 and I gave chase. Was able to pass you back but after a few laps, I waved you by (to save the car some) and just followed your line. I guess I started annoying your driver because he eventually pulled to the right on the long straight forcing me to pass. I figured I would lead for a bit but by then the car was really starting to wheeze above 4500RPMS. She totally gave up just as I was pulling into the pits collecting the "pit in" timer.

Sorry if I annoyed your driver. I had enough car to keep up but not enough to lead.

We either need to get a car that will last longer or start entering shorter races :)

Quick race update from the #19

After looking things over and checking our spare parts we had no other option but to change the still full but burnt gear lube and return to the race where things seemed fine for 5-7 laps when lightning and flooding caused a red flag...

I would like to thank the cool Chumps who loaned gave us the Mobil 1 gear lube that saved the day. Thanks we owe you big time!

Guest BlackSheep1
...what caused the sun to set for your Z?

Ha!

We topped off the water the night before but didn't check it in the morning. Not sure if we had a leak but when we came in after 4 hours we were out of water. Temp gauge registered normal at the end before the car died and the radiator was stone cold. No compression in the #3 cylinder and probably a blown head gasket. It's a stock 3L engine running stock boost and we were happy with the amount of power we were putting down so we will just find another JY engine to throw in.

On a side note, once we got back to Tampa and opened the enclosed trailer, we found out the fire extinguisher had fallen over, the pin came out, it slid backwards to the back of the trailer, went off and emptied itself all over EVERYTHING. When it rains it pours.

RiffRAF Racing's Race (Camo Triumph TR6, #0)

Race started out well once we finally got 4 tires on 4 useable wheels...thanks Yarborough Tire in Sebring, they succeeded where others couldn't, although we still couldn't mount Dunlops on Cal 500's. :-(

Ted, Brian (Ted's son), Jack, Joe and I were drivers. Special thanks to Scott who helped us fuel again as he did last year!

Special thanks to Kevin/Robert/Mr. Andrews/Steven for helping to get the car ready even though they weren't coming to the race.

More special thanks to Mike Ogren for bringing down the TR250 parts. At one point we were contemplating fitting the distributor cap to Lacey... ;-)

We had pit position #1 again (beginning of pits) which worked out nicely.

I started the race, I think the green flew with us in about the middle of the 61 cars that started. Worked our way up to about 14th and then ran out of gas with 15 mins left in stint. :(

This made/makes no sense, but I and someone else both checked the fuel level before the race, so we could only assume the car actually used that much fuel. We've never even come close to using a full tank in 2 hours before....Changed driving stints to 1-1/2 hours for rest of race and Lacey continued to use the same amount of fuel, so it's either the track or something else in the car changed...There certainly was a lot of foot to the floor time in a Sebring lap in Lacey!

Crash truck service left something to be desired. Took them at least 5 minutes to notice me, then they asked me if my crew was planning on bringing out gas to me...and then had to confer to see if they could even tow me back...(!) They could learn a lot from Iowa Speedway safety crews...

I will say that I enjoyed driving the track as much or more than any track we've been to. It's not ideally suited to Lacey but it's REALLY fun to drive!!!!!

Jack got in the car and was doing great, then spun close to the end of his stint. We're still not exactly sure what happened but from this point on, the car would only fire on 5 cylinders. Turned Brian loose in the car and kept bringing him in trying to diagnose the miss. Traced to cylinder 3, replaced plug, wire, rotor, cap...no luck. Started to miss more, pitted long time, found plug/piston contact. Not good. Pulled two pushrods and kept going. Was fun to see Brian/Ted (son/father) race together for the first time.

That's pretty much the story from there on out. Joe showed us yet again that he's our ace by coming within 10 seconds of my best lap on only 5 cylinders (!). We kept circling, albeit slowly, but had a lot of fun anyway.

Major lightning stopped the race for about 2 hours...at least that kept us from having to buy even more gas!

We ended up 29th, passing the fun folks in the Volvo 740 in the final hour to take that spot. Amazing how the "race within a race" in endurance racing keeps you focused and having fun, even when the day doesn't go smoothly.

No car-car contact for us for entire race, and LOTS of cars went off track where we did not, thank you drivers! (Jack stayed on track during his spin, but car stalled).

I hope the team agrees to come back...we finished last year on 3-1/2 cylinders, this year on 5, we'd like a shot at all 6!

It was great seeing Lacey out running around again, you could hear the miss coming around the front straight but we know all 6 are not required...;)

Our fuel calculations were quite far off as well, if the rain had not happened we figured to be short 30 gallons by 11 pm

It was good to see you guys, too...I know that was a lot of work to get a car back out there ;)

Did other teams find out they used more fuel at Sebring? That would make me feel a little better...

I got a great view of the Z car plowing into the side of the Blitzen Benz going into turn #3. I almost got caught up in it, as the Benz got knocked sideways. <_<

Unfortunately, my camera wasn't working to get the shot.

That was me driving :(

I thought I had gotten up far enough beside him for him to see me, and when I realized that he had not seen me and was turning in on me, I hit the brakes harder and the car pushed right into him. I felt like an idiot for a few laps, slowed way down to make sure the car was OK, then gradually picked the pace back up. After the race we noticed that I had cracked the wheel and scuffed the bead up pretty badly. I went down and apologized to the Blitzen crew and they were really cool about it. They said that I hadnt harmed "the tank" at all, lol.

Two of our drivers have a good bit of time racing at Sebring and we knew the fuel consumption would be more than PBIR (the only other place we have ran the car for an entire fuel run). We didnt know exactly how long our car would go on a fuel load, but had a rough idea of 1:30. Our car kinda gives you a warning that it is low on fuel because it will fuel starve after a left hand corner so once it did that we knew we had to pit. It worked out nicely since the only gauges we had that work is our Auto-Meter Oil Pressure, Oil Temp and Water Temp Gauges. The needle fell off of our Tach the last time we were at the track testing so the only thing we had to use for an RPM gauge was the Shift-I progressive shift light.