Nelson Ledges - Mopar4Life Highlight Reel Video

Mopar4Life

Um, WTF at 3:18

There's a bunch of discussion in the Nelson thread.

Cliff's notes: M4L comes around corner with a run and goes to pass shadow, which appears to be moving right. Shadow notices the red BMW approaching fast from behind, and moves back left, but M4L by that point is right beside them. You can see the red BMW (race winner) going for a agricultural run on the right, avoiding the collision.

@7:02, I wonder if that ended with Mealtime's roll. I think it happened in the morning, and the legend I heard was that they rolled from the left-carousel all the way to the back straight, which seems possible given the direction the car was heading in the video.

Hahaha... Actually not. The front bumper is cheesed to reduce weight all the rest is stock.

You caught us... We INTENTIONALLY took him out then decided to include it in our video to let the secret out... LOL

If you think we needed to take him out to pass him go watch this.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyKyoZT31RY

It was their "style" of driving. I personally found it a bit aggressive, bordering on loss of control. Maybe it was just me. Maybe it was just the video.

Well i am completly surprised with that comment. I am sure if we were that agressive mike chisek would of said something to us long ago. Perhaps at charlotte, shannonville, beaver run, tmp, or at nelson. Since iam the captain of this team i keep a very close eye on my drivers as well, who are also my best friends. This run in we had was the first we had ever in our neon. And i hope it is the last.

It was their "style" of driving. I personally found it a bit aggressive, bordering on loss of control. Maybe it was just me. Maybe it was just the video.

Are you making that comment based on the 8 minutes out of 25h where we highlighted our mess ups? Or did you watch the 25+ minutes as we chased down Zip Tie racing?

i can see that. but i feel like that is the norm here John. can't say my driving style would have been much different if our car had their power to weight. there were places in the video where maybe they could have initiated a pass earlier or gone around a car wider IMO, but the driver was clearly wrapped up in chasing the ZipTie car.

i liken this kind of racing to Time Attack in rush hour traffic. strategy really doesn't play in here much. it is more like two hour blitz stints hoping the car holds together long enough to finish the race.

i can see that. but i feel like that is the norm here John. can't say my driving style would have been much different if our car had their power to weight. there were places in the video where maybe they could have initiated a pass earlier or gone around a car wider IMO, but the driver was clearly wrapped up in chasing the ZipTie car.

i liken this kind of racing to Time Attack in rush hour traffic. strategy really doesn't play in here much. it is more like two hour blitz stints hoping the car holds together long enough to finish the race.

I am sorry but when you have the top teams like mealtime, johndadeere etc. Whose cars never really break down. You have no choice if you want to try win a race to equal their lap times. If not then you are hoping for them to breakdown and make-up places. I made this mistake my first double 7. I figured each car might have a bit of teething problems, seeing it being the first race in Canada. But the opposite happened. Not alot of cars broke down. Even at nelson the top three cars did not really have huge problems. I noticed the red beemer in for like maybe 15 min.

In fairness, they pulled out the 8 minutes of unusual things happening. If you want a better sample of the race, I'm certain there would be a lot of laps where there were no or few passes made either way as the team just logged laps. We ran some 850 laps, and probably only 10-20 of them would have had some newsworthy happening (cars off in front, accidents in front, farming by us, etc). That being said, there was precious little space to force the car in on the bimmer, clearly over aggressiveness. I'm not throwing stones because many teams probably had similar moments at some point in the race...but they didn't put them out in everyone's plain view. :)

Hey, I said maybe it was just me...

My point is that of the 8 minutes of video, there are 3 spins, 2 hard contacts, 4-5 offs... so, one can only wonder what the rest of the race was like? Personally, and this (again) is just me, I'd prefer to watch 8 minutes of great driving, perfect lines, smooth passes and close racing without contacts, spins, and offs.

Maybe it was just me.

ok watch this video,
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyKyoZT31RY

Hey, I said maybe it was just me...

My point is that of the 8 minutes of video, there are 3 spins, 2 hard contacts, 4-5 offs... so, one can only wonder what the rest of the race was like? Personally, and this (again) is just me, I'd prefer to watch 8 minutes of great driving, perfect lines, smooth passes and close racing without contacts, spins, and offs.

Maybe it was just me.

Sh!t did I miss something? 2 hard contacts? 4-5 offs? 3 spins? :blink:

I can only assume you are talking about ALL the cars in the video combined not just us right?

For our team I count it there was 1 hard contact, 1 spin (at night), 1 off and oh yah 1 blown motor :lol:

John take a look at the video in the above post, I honestly want your comments if you think there was something wrong in it.

Unfortunately great driving, perfect lines, smooth passes don't allow you to raz your co-drivers or get youtube hits... I'm trying to catch Mod Squad for hits!!! rofl...

There's a fine line between constructive and critical and I hope you don't get offended but the video that professes to offer proof of 'good driving' shows me that the driver is still inexperienced no matter how many races he's competed in. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I do know a few things. What I noticed first is that whoever is driving the car is simply driving around the inside of the track and the one time I did notice a correct entry into T1 it was because there was a car on the inside already. The downshifts are coming far too late (the middle of the corner as opposed to the braking zone) which results in a huge loss of momentum and this action is repeated over and over. The lift as you go through the kink is scary and should also be done before you get to the apex, not at the apex. There is also seems to be a complete lack of vision for what's ahead and the driver constantly has to check up or they would drive right into the back of someone.

I remember chasing down this neon at Shannonville in the VW I was driving and you guys obviously have made the thing much lighter and faster but the driving has remained the same. The car is definitely fast in a straight line and when all else is equal horsepower rules. Again, I am not being critical but I would suggest that you ask a good, experienced driver to come out to one of your test days and show the fundamentals. I have no doubt in my mind that with a very small amount of instruction M4L will be unbeatable!

I also apologize in advance if the words seem harsh, that is not my intention.

• Like 1

There's a fine line between constructive and critical and I hope you don't get offended but the video that professes to offer proof of 'good driving' shows me that the driver is still inexperienced no matter how many races he's competed in. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I do know a few things. What I noticed first is that whoever is driving the car is simply driving around the inside of the track and the one time I did notice a correct entry into T1 it was because there was a car on the inside already. The downshifts are coming far too late (the middle of the corner as opposed to the braking zone) which results in a huge loss of momentum and this action is repeated over and over. The lift as you go through the kink is scary and should also be done before you get to the apex, not at the apex. There is also seems to be a complete lack of vision for what's ahead and the driver constantly has to check up or they would drive right into the back of someone.

I remember chasing down this neon at Shannonville in the VW I was driving and you guys obviously have made the thing much lighter and faster but the driving has remained the same. The car is definitely fast in a straight line and when all else is equal horsepower rules. Again, I am not being critical but I would suggest that you ask a good, experienced driver to come out to one of your test days and show the fundamentals. I have no doubt in my mind that with a very small amount of instruction M4L will be unbeatable!

I also apologize in advance if the words seem harsh, that is not my intention.

Oh no offence taken. Just keep in mind we are a team of five drivers and only one has experience in a wheel to wheel racing enviroment driving karts. When he was a older teen. They are not perfect. But neither are F1 drivers either.

It's definitely on our list because we all know it's the drivers ability holding us back. :D

Just haven't managed to make it happen yet. I have probably < 20 hrs in a racecar in our 7 events with no instruction so I am SURE I am doing things wrong. Thanks for the feedback!

I guess we need a passenger seat now... Lol

you guys share a handle with tweaks to the pronunciation? hmmm. maybe there is some odd underwear issue going on here.................

as fast as that car is ya'll should be making passes happen way, way back from where that video shows your point of commitment being. funny thing about some schooling, they teach you to raise your vision so you act instinctively in anticipation rather than at the point of contact.

as one of the underpowered cars out there at NL I experienced the bumper crush way too much in my mirrors.

I'd gladly trade positions any day. thing is ya'll wouldn't even know i had been there...........

Funny thing... We only touched a car once in 23 hrs. So... Well... Go talk to the other teams who got the bazillion black flags. ;)

Btw there are people you can talk to about your underwear fetish. :D

mine is more of a grooming fetish. landing strip minimally.

again, constructive criticism. early passing helps overall race traffic flow. while ya'll might not have had extensive contact that is not to say you didn't contribute to other issues that occured. and i am sure we too contributed to issues as we were well below mid-pack in hp. but we raced clean and finished in the top third.