Crap Canerlot @ Infineon

Guest ChumpCar

Guest ChumpCar

Greetings Chumps!

As this portion of the Forum is called... "Just Got Home"... we just did! Left Friday morning, bright and early, and got home late last night after a tremendous weekend of some great, fun, safe, close and hard-fought racing. I apologize for going silent for the last three days, but it's a 25-hour-a-day job getting and keeping this program together -- one that ChumpCar could NOT have done without the FANTASTIC work by Lloyd Boggs (Tech & Safety), Eric Torgeson (Operations) and Cathy McCause (Marketing), as well as a handful of other Chumpsters and volunteers who busted their chump-humps to put on a great show.

The weather was a little cold, a little damp, a little foggy and with a little drizzle Sunday morning just to keep things "loose" on the track. The track was dry for the entire weekend, except on Sunday morning, and in perfect Infineon condition.

The two inaugural track variations that we used -- now officially called the "Chump Track Variations" -- were a tremendous success and extremely popular with all the drivers. I asked a quite a few drivers which course they preferred -- Sat or Sun -- and most could decide!

It's true, we had 46 cars sign-up for the event and only 27 started on Saturday... not sure why the heavy fall-out... that's far and away from ChumpCar's control. But, the 27 cars that started Saturday morning (okay, 28 cars if you count my entry but I loaned my car out to seven different drivers who's other rides all had mechanical issues -- you know, it's all about seat time!) all had a great run. Just enough cars to make it great racing; not too many cars that you couldn't get up to speed or pass without traffic issues, and not too few cars that you couldn't always find someone to dice with. It may have appeared different from the pits or the grandstands, but in the car, I can assure you that the racing was always on!

Quite a few of the "Newbie" teams got a first-hand education into crap-can preparation, resulting in the loss of 9 cars from Saturday's session. Sundays started 18 cars. On Saturday, we did lose the V8-Volvo of Team Rubber Chicken Picatta (#61) to bad stuff-it-in-the-tire-wall at Turn #11 which bent the car up pretty badly... but that was the ONLY shunt all weekend. The driving all weekend long was magnificent!

ChumpCar's Crap Canerlot event only saw 6 or 7 Black Flags all day Saturday -- 12 for the entire weekend. I believe that the final number was 9 for passing under yellow; 2 for a series of repeat spins, and 1 for a questionable safe pass (which we discussed with the driver and sent them back racing). As ChumpCar knows and believes, everybody is going to spin the car once -- you don't know where the limit of adhesion is until you pass it -- so, we're ready for that and we know it's going to happen. We also know that dropping a tire off at an apex is going to happen -- hey! we're racers, too! We only Black Flag for the serious safety issues or flagrant breeches of safe driving etiquette.

There were 152 drivers in the race -- 41 in the Driver's School, although I suspect some attending the school were just "sitting in" to see what us Chumps were telling the rookies. At the end of the class, I asked everyone if they had learned anything from the 1-hour safety session and everyone raised their hand. That made it all worthwhile!

Operationally, everything wen't 100% smooth -- EXCEPT for Timing & Scoring. Eric got to the tower and found 200 cables all stuffed into and flowing freely within the 150' long, glass enclosed, extra plush room that NASCAR and IRL use to time and score their events. Of course, none of the 200 cables were marked! He spent Saturday morning (starting at 5:30am) getting the timing system up and running, only to be nailed by two (2) power spikes and auto-shut downs on Saturday that left us without power -- each about 30 seconds long. Not long enough to warrant any alternative course of action (like hand-timing and lap charts) but just long enough to disrupt the computer and reset all the lap times. DAMN! That goodness that we had a back-up cache system... so, with a little cross-checking of both system reports, we were able to get all the laps back to order. (Some suggested that the power surge and shut downs may have been associated with the 6.5 earthquake up Eureka or the other temblors elsewhere in the shaky State.) We may have lost some of the lap data from Saturday for MyLaps.com -- we're working to see what the computer has.

Okay, that's enough from me... I'll let the drivers report on the race.

Overall, it was a great couple of races and a great weekend! ChumpCar congratulates Team SAS (Camaro) for their overwhelming win on Saturday and Team A+ Trailer Trash (RX-7) for their close and hard-fought win on Sunday!

All the best -

John

Guest sawinatthewheel

A big thanks to John and his crew...it is a monumental effort to put one of these races and they did a fantistic job. Our team appreciated the racers mentality when it came to infractions and other incendental driving miscues. No harm, no foul, no bs. The double race format made Saturday meaningful. We'll be back. Lets all hope and work toward John growing the series. More races = more fun.

Guest Methius

Team Free Range had a GREAT time at the event!

We battled some mechanical difficulties both days, but had a great time with everyone on the track. We snapped a CV which wrapped around our o2 sensor and pulled it clean out of the harness. We also had a dead starter about 2 hours into the race, but before we lost the sensor we were able to push start the car. After a quick run to Sonoma and some overnight wrenching, we were back on the track Sunday with limited problems. We cooked the front pads (well, I cooked the front pads and gave the car to someone else to break) and did a pad change mid-race. We also had a driver show up about 30 minutes into his session wearing his breakfast on his driving suit / harnesses. We had some serious clean-up to do before anyone could use the harness again... epic fail.

Other than that, the car ran great and we were able to squeak out a 2:02.16 when we put on our 615's

thanks again for a great race John, Lloyd, Erik, Cathy, Ron, etc. etc. See you at Streets!

Team Free Range had a GREAT time at the event!

We battled some mechanical difficulties both days, but had a great time with everyone on the track. We snapped a CV which wrapped around our o2 sensor and pulled it clean out of the harness. We also had a dead starter about 2 hours into the race, but before we lost the sensor we were able to push start the car. After a quick run to Sonoma and some overnight wrenching, we were back on the track Sunday with limited problems. We cooked the front pads (well, I cooked the front pads and gave the car to someone else to break) and did a pad change mid-race. We also had a driver show up about 30 minutes into his session wearing his breakfast on his driving suit / harnesses. We had some serious clean-up to do before anyone could use the harness again... epic fail.

Other than that, the car ran great and we were able to squeak out a 2:02.16 when we put on our 615's

thanks again for a great race John, Lloyd, Erik, Cathy, Ron, etc. etc. See you at Streets!

it should smell great in 3 weeks