VIR Contact Issues, Incidental or Intentional?

dogtired

We all know that the occasional bump is unavoidable, This is racing and close proximity can cause contact but as we all know this should be the exception and damage should be minor at best.

So, with this in mind.............. why does our car look like a Demo Derby entrant this morning? Our driver's door has a broken top hinge, our left rear bumper cover is torn to hell, we have dents in every quarter panel on the car. Oddly enough our front bumper is pristine.

My personal stints were:

2pm-4pm - rear bumper clipped by a black E30 in the Stevie Wonders after completing the pass on the right. I rubbed up on BuckSnort in T-6 while we tried to go five wide after a caution. My apologies to BuckSnort.

10:30pm-12am - No Contact

6:30am -8:30am - no contact but the driver's door about came off in my hand when I got in.

I am still gathering debriefing info but one of our guys reported an issue with the ConTurd team. Obscene Hand signal and a contact issue. I'm not trying to call anyone out here but I would like to hear the other side of the story. Our driver said he may have cut your car off and assumed it was a retalitory hit.

We had a strong car and we were competing for a podium spot so please don't think I am trying to sound like a victim here. I made a pass or two that might have been ill advised but most cars raced us clean and hard.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. If we drove like asshats please don't hesitate to mention that. Stint times also please. We are looking to fine tune our racecraft. Thanks.

The Silver Bullets

#12 silver 240SX

Is this the Gripe Post? ;)

We had a great time, things were run smoothly by VIR and Chump, great race!

I personally had a pretty tame, contact free and uneventful race. We were just outside the top ten in the last 2 hours when a spin and a blown cylinder sent us slowly back down the ladder. Very fast cars in the field. Congrats to the Winners, I never even saw you guys on track!

We did have more contact in this race than in our last 5 combined.

In our case we had a few little bumps that were incidental to racing with the exception of one.

One of our slower and extremley mellow drivers got what he described as being punted off the track by a very fast (with that particular driver) high penalty lap car. The resulting contact caved in most of our drivers side and trashed two wheels and a tire. Our pretty car is no longer pretty. No one from the involved car came over to discuss.

If anyone has video of the incident between the red Fried Chicken Supra hitting the green and yellow E28 I'd like to see it. Our car was being driven slower than usual at the time but generally I feel its the faster cars job not to hit slower driver. I try not to at least!

Thanks.

In this series retaliatory hits are not something that should ever be considered, this aint Saturday night dirt tracking, people can really get hurt not to mention it shows lack of judgement as a series like this can disappear overnight if it becomes un-insurable.

Edit:

Saying that, and being human, I am guilty of giving a certain car a close shave(never contact) every time by as a thanks for the hassles...

• Like 1

I got a purposeful bumper tap when i finally got past a blocking black pickup in the 12-2 PM stint. No real damage, but getting hit in roller coaster is not safe and not appreciated. I saved the car and drove away. Guess I missed the nighttime drama as I didn't see too many hooligans but heard they occurred.

• Like 1

• Administrators

These guys were scary as hell. They said they were new when I spoke with them in their pit stall.

Sweet car.

But hitting the brakes and taking corners out of control is just really un called for. My team members complained about them. I reported them to Mike and he followed up.

I then spoke to them.

/>http://youtu.be/1P8kSyh_Als

Guest BHGRacing

Dog, did you see the BHG civic? It was a demo Derby out there. I feel that a lot of the contact we took was avoidable. Rubbing is racing, but making extremely unsafe decisions isn't going to win an endurance race in one lap. We were slow (down on power) and took a beating for it. Our biggest mistake was looking so pretty at a Chump event. But that's about all we did with our car this year. With so many cars and elevation changes, and the dark, there is no way Chump officials or corner workers can police the beating and banging. I felt this one was out of hand well before the red flag meeting and wish we would have spoke up sooner. The entire field was too aggressive at night. We came for fun and bragging rights, not a large cash award. Hell, we know we are slow and a little green. We just like to finish.

Dog, did you see the BHG civic? It was a demo Derby out there. I feel that a lot of the contact we took was avoidable. Rubbing is racing, but making extremely unsafe decisions isn't going to win an endurance race in one lap. We were slow (down on power) and took a beating for it. Our biggest mistake was looking so pretty at a Chump event. But that's about all we did with our car this year. With so many cars and elevation changes, and the dark, there is no way Chump officials or corner workers can police the beating and banging. I felt this one was out of hand well before the red flag meeting and wish we would have spoke up sooner. The entire field was too aggressive at night. We came for fun and bragging rights, not a large cash award. Hell, we know we are slow and a little green. We just like to finish.

White Civic Hatchback, CRX maybe?

5 glorious laps into the post-track-reconfig night time stint, one out our rods decided it no longer wanted to be inside of the block so it forced its way out of both sides! We then proceeded to go back to our room and drown our sorrows. With that being said, what is this "red flag meeting" that is mentioned above? I am also intrigued about post checkered contact as that seems over the top. I ran the opening 2 hours and did see some aggressive driving, but we managed to make the first twelve hours without any contact. I will also say that the increase in overall speed level from last years 24 at VIR and this year was shocking!

There were also a lot of cars running more than four lights. One of those Hondas was one of them.

One of the Neons had lights on the cowl. And I too saw cars with six seperate lights. We were at the exit of Pit Road and saw most all of the cars at one point or another.

Guest BHGRacing

We only had four hellas. I think the mystery machine Honda had more than four installed but i never saw more than four running when i looked at it. I might be wrong.

Yeah I was out in the early morning late evening traffic and after a caution I was following 5 cars through the climbing esses not at full race speed when we all got passed by a silver z car without a roof through the grass on the right side of us between the track and wall NOT a cool move by any means I'm just glad nobody got hit by that move. I'm not chastising them for doing that and I dont know if they were running for the top spot but that move could have taken out a bunch of cars. I believe the front leader of this bunch thought the caution was still out and we couldn't see the other flag stand so I think they must have radioed their driver to take off and he caught us we were still thinking we were under caution but any way that was my adventure with the late night race.

If a few more folks would have been brought in for penalties, no meeting would have been necessary.

I hate when we all get punished, when the problem is only with 10% of the drivers.

It was like we had 4 races going on:

Spec e30

Spec miata

asshats in random cars also trying to win a 20 minute sprint race over the entire 24 hours

the rest of us, including the majority of the fastest teams

• Like 2

Guest bobzdar

I had zero contact in my stints, but we were out of the race for 10-11 hours for repair. We drove all night as we got back out on track just after the break. 2 of our guys had contact, one was slightly more than incidental but happened after the warning (and on our back bumper, not much excuse for that unless somebody missed their brake zone or locked up). We may have video of it. People were aggressive at night for sure but in my personal experience they were clean. Maybe because I gave nobody reason to do otherwise? We took a much larger beating in the Lemons race we ran.

Lights were an issue for us and we were only 5 watts under the max, so maybe we need to 'cheat' or the rules need addressing. There were some teams that lit up the whole track and honestly it didn't bother me from a visibility standpoint as the ability to see the track better using their lights helped more than any glare in our mirror...

• Administrators

They needed one at lap 10 at NL, but it never came. But was really needed at VIR and did come. It was also great for John to see what was going on and that he will make some changes, or at least put the rules in writing so the divisional leaders are all on the same page.

When I made my complaint to Mike about the Thunderbird, he was all over it. It actually impressed me.

I do like the idea that you must run some dual races before twenty-fours.

I personally had no real issues with anyone other than the T-bird. You could easily see the new people, so you knew to give them a chance and pass them on the straights. I saw one car that had "Rookies" painted on the back of the car. I thought that was awesome too. I gave them some leeway as well.

• Like 2

If a few more folks would have been brought in for penalties, no meeting would have been necessary.

I hate when we all get punished, when the problem is only with 10% of the drivers.

It was like we had 4 races going on:

Spec e30

Spec miata

asshats in random cars also trying to win a 20 minute sprint race over the entire 24 hours

the rest of us, including the majority of the fastest teams

It was nice to meet you guys and share a pit stall. We 100% agree with you, plenty of asshats no doubt. We had a team that NEVER does anything wrong clip us in a turn and get into us for no reason. We had a very good driver in the car and he was able to hang onto it and not hit anyone or anything else. Said car has at least 75 more whp than us and could have waited another 30 seconds and passed us on the straight away. Our ONLY complaint with ChumpCar is not parking some of these morons for driving like assbags. This is a really fun series to race in and it needs to be enforced. If everyone would drive others as they wanted to be raced the problem would fix itself.....the moron factor prevents this from taking place.