Rockauto and the shipping "Shell" Game.

Well just ran an interesting little experiment; easy to repeat, too, so does that make it scientific?

I didn't know about Rockauto until seeing it in a post a few days ago.

I started going thru the site and picking bits and pieces that had appealing prices. Then,since I need shipping to Canada (which they do, and promote the fact) I checked the shipping charges.

As soon as I went beyond two items they suddenly had to ship from not one, but two locations. Shipping charges doubled. I deselected and reselected several times using different products/manufacturers etc. I would get two items from shipping location A, then the next was location B (and yes, the cost doubled).

I then went thru my cart and deleted the items that came from location B, leaving only A. Bingo. One of the previously "A" items moved to the B team! Gotta get those shipping fees...

Spark plugs, for example. This was neat. I picked some plugs I would like. Yup, they of course couldn't be shipped from location A - they HAD to come from location B. So I left them in my cart and selected some more of a different type. These now came from location A. Great! I can delete the ones from location B and eliminate $25 of charges! So I did. And yes... the plugs that I left in the cart now moved to location B. HUH?

I picked different belt tensioners and other things where there were multiple offerings and watched to see where they would need to be shipped from. A third location, 'C' now entered the picture at yet another additional $25. So I did the same; removed the C items from my cart only (to my amazement) watch other items now JUMP to fill the gap! The same part would 'toggle' back and forth between locations...

And to eliminate any chance that it is a system that updates by the millisecond, I went back and started over. Same thing... same order... same shipping charge "shell game". Must be a glitch..

Just saying.... that's what I found when I went there.

So I doubt I'll be ordering anything from Rockauto anytime soon.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have ordered literally hundreds of times, and I can't remember a single issue (i'm sure there was 1 or 2). Most issues come from ordering their bargain basement crap... which is really poor quali

They are great for single items, I much prefer using them as a parts lookup/interchange

We've pretty much stopped dealing with RockAuto for the SHO. Too many wrong parts making it a headache when you only have 3/4 weeks turnaround between races. Just easier and ultimately cheaper to deal

Guest chicagozer

I've seen it come up with shipping from multiple origins but never bounce around like you mention.

I've ordered a fair amount of stuff from them; hopefully they aren't messing with what works. I like their catalog.

Jim

Wellll

I want to be fair. I did experience that bizarre thing with the shipping sources and prices jumping back and forth earlier today. I was so puzzled/surprised that I went back and it seemed a lot more normal the second time. So maybe a glitch? Regardless; at one point I did have as much in shipping charges as I did in parts; receiving things from 3 different sources...

So something at least for people to watch for if/when on that website.

I've never seen the shipping site jump. That's weird. I always try to pick parts from the same supplier to keep the location the same. It doesn't always work, but it helps some of the time. Very often, I order the main parts from Rock and then pick up the small stuff at the local parts store. I refuse to pay $8 shipping for a $2 gasket. I'd rather buy the gasket locally and pay an extra $0.50 for it and avoid the shipping charges from Rock.

Be sure to go online and search for a Rock discount code. You can always find a 5% off code which helps offset the shipping a bit.

Every time you delete an item, it will re-do the naming of location (A) ( B ) ( C ), etc.

for example:

Starter ( A )

Fuel FIlter ( B )

Spark Plugs ( C )

Now delete Fuel filter

Starter (A)

Spark Plugs ( 'B )

Or just for fun it will:

Starter ( 'B )

Spark Plugs (A)

Add/Remove several items all at once and it will get you confused real fast.

Finally was able to get a useful bunch of parts together all shipped from one place, so one shipping charge.

Not very user friendly .. 6 or 8 water pumps, all basically the same price, and no hint of where they might come from. And yes, they come from A, B or C on an arbitrary basis... :wacko:

I agree that they have a great selection and prices too but this shipping thing really takes time to watch out for and then go back and correct - as many times as it takes...

because we are getting things that cost $15 and $20 and the shipping on each is $25, so it adds up pretty fast.

Yeah, even if I must say that several of those closeout items have been a total bust. Engine mounts that did in no way fit the car, a main bearings kit that was shipped with only the upper halves, a set of 6 pistons that when it came only had one... On the last one of course they allowed me to return it and they would refund the cost plus the shipping. I had to do the hassle of taking it to the post office and all of that, but anyway. Then imagine my surprise when I got only like 50 cents refunded of the shipping charge. "Oh, yes, because you had ordered also a fuel filter and the shipping charge only changed by that much" Well, I surely hadn't ordered a $1.50 fuel filter in the first place if I hadn't ordered the pistons and the fuel filter came along for free... So, I have to agree that the shipping charges so seem like designed to be a ripoff.

We've pretty much stopped dealing with RockAuto for the SHO. Too many wrong parts making it a headache when you only have 3/4 weeks turnaround between races. Just easier and ultimately cheaper to deal with a local source and have a bit of a warrenty that will allow you to simply walk in and swap the part (until they realize you've brought in brake rotors 3x in one year ;) )

• Like 1

lol...my local advanced auto and napa guys love me!! I bought some re-manned cv axles from advance when I had my last integra and they seperated within 100miles of putting them in. Since a buddy of mine is a manager, I got one heck of a discount!! $5 after cores... ANYWAYS! When I returned them, they gave me a new one and like $60. I asked them if they were sure that was right, they said it was. So I waited until the store closed and then picked up some of my favorite Advance guys, took them to the boobie club for $.25 beer and dollar dances. I now have a standing discount in there!

• Like 1

I noticed a feature on Rock Auto that is supposed to help you purchase parts that ship from the same location. In the screen shot below, I have circled in red a check box which they have labeled "choose for me to minimize cost." When you check this box, it will sort to the top of the list those parts which ship from the same location as one of the parts that is already in your cart. In the example below, neither of the available parts will ship from the same location as the item that is in my cart, so these parts are listed as "alternate." I guess I should have come up with a better example that shows parts that both "ship from same location" and "alternate." Give it a try and see what happens.

RockAuto_screen.jpg

The plot thickens!

I just got my order today. Very quick and relatively problem free. I DID have to pay an extra $32.43 to get it at this end even tho they say they cover it all..... they don't.

So I went thru the order of course, and at the bottom, where my water pump should be, was a giant aluminum octopus the likes of which i had never seen before. Eventually I realize it likely is a water pump of some sort and then start the process of informing Rock Auto about their error.

Here's where it gets good. I just got a call from Customer service.

They want me to get an estimate to send it back. I pay to send it, but of course they reimburse me. Right? Wrong. I send it back at my non-preferential little guy rate and they reimburse me for this, UP TO A MAXIMUM OF WHAT IT COST THEM TO SEND IT TO ME the first time round. So I end up being out of pocket and still no water pump.

Great.

So I am pretty sure the estimate I get is going to be so high they abandon it as a lost cause. Sheeshhhhh

When I put the question directly to the customer service rep she did a nice little dance, had to go check something then came back and mumbled a bit about lets just get the estimate and we'll go from there, ok?

End of business with Rock Auto. Forever. What a disappointing experience.

Trying to remember that old adage about ..." long after the sweetness of the deal is gone the bitterness of .... something or other.... anyone remember?.."

• Like 1

This has me scared to use RockAuto and I was just about to order some steering parts from them to be delivered to Buffalo. They are by far the cheapest place to buy from it seems and if anyone has another source for parts I'd be glad of the information. I compared prices to Autozone and Advance and RockAuto is significantly cheaper for the same name brand parts. Right now I'm looking for Inner and Outer Tie Rods and a new Steering Rack. Any help?

Used rock one time to pick up a bunch of clearance items, everything went smoothly, scored 3 sets of rod bearings, 3 rear main seals, a head set and some misc all for less then the headset would have been if not for clearance, only regret was not buying more discounted head sets.

I suspect that the majority of the OP's problem lies in getting things shipped north of the border. In my experience Rock Auto has good parts prices, but the shipping is fairly high and can add up to allot if you have multiple items, especially if they don't come from the same warehouse. More often than not these days I'm finding the best prices on auto parts from Amazon, although their search is terrible.

Amazon seems comparable with RockAuto. I may as well ask the opinion of a few Chumps about quality so here we go. Raybestos makes a Professional Grade version of the inner and outer tie rods that are about $10 more than the Moog parts. ACDelco and Beck/Arnley also make parts for the CRX so I'm wondering what most Chumps would order if price is no object. I've never heard of Beck/Arnley so I was either going to go with the Raybestos or Moog. Thoughts?

update:

They shipped me the wrong water pump. After a lengthy phone call they will 'allow' me to return it with the following conditions. I go get the shipping estimate back to them. They will reimburse me up to the price I paid for shipping originally, to be sent within 5 days of them receving the item back in satisfactory condition. So I go to the PO, get the estimate, they 'approve' it and then back to the PO to ship it and I pay those costs up front.

After they get it (USPO has taken 30 days on delivering ebay items previously) they will process my refund within 5 days. I will THEN be reimbursed for the shipping cost of their item, my water pump that I never got and the shipping on my water pump that I never got. Guess I sorta feel held hostage. It was their mistake? No attempt at consideration of that....

So I'll get it sent off when I get around to it. Likely they have some stifling rule about elapsed time, too. :ph34r:

nope. No more Rockauto for me. first and last time.