West Region Chumpionship - Sonoma / Sears Point - 12.5 Hour

Guest posnova

This was my first chumpcar race. I've done five or six lemons races at this point, so I was looking forward to trying something new. I'm happy to say that I had a great weekend, all of the officials were very friendly, and the driving on track was excellent. Thumbs up all around.

Most of my video is pretty boring...just round and round the track...but I did have one close call. It's pretty self-explanatory:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zALAXdDfBnM

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for a great weekend!

• Like 1

This was my first chumpcar race. I've done five or six lemons races at this point, so I was looking forward to trying something new. I'm happy to say that I had a great weekend, all of the officials were very friendly, and the driving on track was excellent. Thumbs up all around.

Most of my video is pretty boring...just round and round the track...but I did have one close call. It's pretty self-explanatory:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zALAXdDfBnM

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for a great weekend!

omg...what we're they thinking? YIKES

Nice save :)

Great race, we all had a great time, although we had a few issues. But that is half the fun of ChumpCar! Here is a shot of the axle breaking on Sat. morning exiting T11. We were down for about 4 hours, but got it repaired and everyone got to try the NASCAR layout.

http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/gallery/image/1117-img-1075/

It was also great to see John awarded for all his efforts to make ChumpCar what it is today. Wayne made this cool trophy and it was certainly fit for the King of ChumpCar!

gallery_1331_42_910514.jpg

We also are missing an 18v yellow Ryobi cordless drill that someone borrowed Sun and never brought back. We would really like to get it back, so if you know where it is, please let me know. Thanks to John, Cathy, and the whole Chump crew for another great race!!

Someone has a video of my cone-hawk rx7 #4 hitting the wall in the exit of turn 11 on erik's first lap. I would LOVE to get a copy of this. You can not possibly understand how valuable this video would be to me. The sure power of it to win arguments will be unrivaled.

• Like 1

We had a great time, despite more mechanical problems than I can recount ;)

Sonoma is a great location, look forward to coming back next year!

ps: a small typo above:

"*** The Chump Award – for the team that exemplifies the spirit of ChumpCar – went to car #74, Leftover Parts Racing, #47 Lou Glutz Motorsports … driving a 1974 Pinto Station Wagon!

That was us!!!!!! The car over heated the entire weekend and we really never got more than 5 laps in a row out there, except for one 20 lap stint. But it was fun as hell. Great job to the entire crew on a great weekend. We ended up leaving early as my son started having a severe skin reaction to a bug bite, and I really felt it was best to be home helping out. Sorry we could not have been there to finish the day.

Guest posnova

What a fantastic event. Thank you organizers and all the competitors!

I had one question about the restart on Sunday after the afternoon red-flag. The course went straight to green (skipping yellow) and creating a standing start. Is this a normal procedure?

It most certainly is not standard procedure and the events that transpired to allow it to happen, were reviewed and mitigating controls were put in place. We also share your concern that a straight red-to-green situation can leave cars that cannot see a flag station as a sitting duck to be rear-ended at 115mph, or for vehicles that cannot restart due to a mechanical problem, a similar fate.

Guest shodaddy

Great event, great track, awesome weather. Thank you to all the Chump staff and volunteers. Even though we only got to run for 1/2 the day on Saturday due to a bent control arm and then our 300k engine decided to go out in a "Blaze of glory" we all had an exhausting blast. Does anybody have video footage of the blow up? Sorry to everyone for the extended yellow getting the front straight cleaned up. We have some pics of the carnage on our facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Mmissyh/photos_stream#!/pages/GI-SHO-Racing/103436909711126?sk=photos_stream

• Like 1

Great event, great track, awesome weather. Thank you to all the Chump staff and volunteers. Even though we only got to run for 1/2 the day on Saturday due to a bent control arm and then our 300k engine decided to go out in a "Blaze of glory" we all had an exhausting blast. Does anybody have video footage of the blow up? Sorry to everyone for the extended yellow getting the front straight cleaned up. We have some pics of the carnage on our facebook page. https://www.facebook...k=photos_stream

No video, but we do have a 1 1/2" long, twisted piece of one of your connecting rods that landed in our pit stall at the exit end of pit lane. I know it really sucked for you guys, but it was quite spectacular for us... :) BTW, I thought that car was damn quick when it was running.

Guest chicagozer
Even though we only got to run for 1/2 the day on Saturday due to a bent control arm and then our 300k engine decided to go out in a "Blaze of glory" we all had an exhausting blast.

I'm sure I was one of many rooting for you guys to get it back out there. It looked like you were wrenching continuously since Saturday afternoon.

Guest expensivehobby22

Had an awesome time this weekend running with the #97 Neon. We had a wheel bearing decide to start falling apart right at the end of our third stint on Saturday, and a caliper that self destructed right at the end of our third stint on Sunday. Both times, our team got them changed pretty quickly, but the damage was done. I ended up driving the 4th stint on both days, so I got lucky and didn't have to deal with any issues other than the ones created by myself.

Anyway, awesome weekend, awesome track, awesome organizers.

My only complaint, and I can't be the only one, is that they didn't bring us into the pits and park us in order during the lunch breaks. We lost some spots both days because of this. And, while it ultimately didn't matter because of our other issues, it was frustrating. Anyway, minor complaint for an otherwise awesome weekend. Did I mention that it was awesome?

Also forgot to mention that I had tons of fun battling with the white Firebird during my stint on Saturday and the Shark Fin car on Sunday.

Cheers,

Ray

I note a lot of strategic edits/cuts... just before the possible contacts! :lol: Sure -- hide the evidence on the cutting-room floor!

:D Actually now having finished my seventh Chump race I have only ever had contact once and it was in my first race being bumped in the rear... it was Greg in our car that punted the tire wall.

What a race track, the best I have been on so far, The Ridge is a close second.