VIR Race Report

Guest ChumpCar

Guest ChumpCar

Greetings, Chumps... and big howdy from Virginia International Raceway!

VIR has rolled out the summer weather for us... 83 degrees today... 85 degrees over the next two days, with a warm 54 degrees at night. ChumpCar could not have ordered better racing weather!

The gates opened at noon and there was a long stream of cars, trucks, trailers, motorhomes and transporters making their way into the South Paddock... including this very large, very black, very cool Freightliner with Old Spice decals on the cab, pulling a 3-car trailer typically used for that OTHER series.

Broad range of cars here this weekend... RX7s, Supras, Camaros, Datsun-Nissans, Porsches... darn near everything but the Swedish embassy (i.e. - no Saabs or Volvos yet, but it's early). Also, no trucks! We sure liked that C10 Chevy last week at Pueblo!

Tech just opened about 45 minutes ago. Lloyd and Dave are working through the line-up; Ron is coordinating the paddock; Erik and Cathy are processing registration; and I'm fielding all the questions. So far, the best question (asked with a strong Alabama drawl): "So, which way does the track run here?"

New addition at ChumpCar this weekend: live timing and television feed!

Okay, back to work. More to follow...

John

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Goose

How about a race at Daytona sometime during Speedweeks?? 43 NASCAR prepared ChumpCars vs the real Chumps...

WOOOO HOOOOOO Daytona!!!!!.............. Congrats to all sounds like you had a blast and that the racing was excellent, safe travels home to all and happy Easter!

I'm going to attempt to get through on "Race Day on Fox" this morning if they have a live show today. 9am to noon est on Fox Sports Radio (like 400+ stations)

Just got off the radio / phone with them...was able to give kudos to Stewart Hass and plug the website!

Thanks for the recap John. I'm SO glad Dragon Somethin' had a good finish. They deserved it. Also glad to hear Tony and company had a great time. I hope they return (with a better theme next time - hint, hint :lol: ).

Once we add a window net, our BRE Z will be ChumpCar legal and we will be aiming for GingerMan to make our ChumpCar debut.

I can tell you... after speaking with Tony last night for quite some time, as well as members of his team... class act and very dedicated team. Tony's a full-on racer and a real gent. He was VERY impressed with the level of driving in ChumpCar and he stated that he wants to get more NASCAR teams to come and drive ChumpCar whenever their schedule permits.

John

That would be awesome!

Tree-fluff? Okay, I'll bite... ;)

Tree-fluff -- Dorsey Schroeder mentions it every time Grand-Am comes to VIR. The oak tree sheds fluffy seedlings and leaves, which (supposedly) makes that corner slick. (God knows what a track surrounded by cottonwoods would be like -- "It's been raining for two days, and now the wind's up; so we've had the Wash and Blow-dry cycles, and folks are wondering why the trees have Dryer Lint.") :)

CONGRATS to Chriss and Rob and all of the Jetta team, very good job, knew you guys would win one, to all the other teams, great racing, clean racing and hard racing. It doesnt get any better than this.

As for the lil Mercedes, broke for the second time, i am tired of it. We will be back and ready to try again.

Mike who do we have to pray to or do we need a virgin sacrafice or what???

maybe we need to ask Chriss

To Chump crew, John, Erik, Cathy, ect, thanx for a great event, how about that challange race with the Nascar guys at Daytona I am in, you just name the date.

thanx to all and beware, a Mercedes :angry: will be back!!!!!

CONGRATS to Chriss and Rob and all of the Jetta team, very good job, knew you guys would win one, to all the other teams, great racing, clean racing and hard racing. It doesnt get any better than this.

As for the lil Mercedes, broke for the second time, i am tired of it. We will be back and ready to try again.

Mike who do we have to pray to or do we need a virgin sacrafice or what???

maybe we need to ask Chriss

To Chump crew, John, Erik, Cathy, ect, thanx for a great event, how about that challange race with the Nascar guys at Daytona I am in, you just name the date.

thanx to all and beware, a Mercedes :angry: will be back!!!!!

Rusty, it was good talking to you the whole weekend. Some "friendly" competition makes these events so much fun. I am going to have to bring me a bouncer next time to match yours by the way. Don't think you are going to get Rob now, he likes the Jetta way too much. I really hate the Mercedes had problems, you guys were keeping us on our toes. Will you bring it down to Roebling road in August so we get another chance at it?

Schumacher Taxi here. We had a great time at the race, despite our lackluster speeds. The track was awesome, the organization and the way the race was run were awesome, and everybody was friendly. Thanks!

The Miata was not well sorted, so this was sort of a first shakedown. We were light years slower than the other Miatas and 8 seconds off the fast laps comparison, but we think we can help the body roll by cutting springs and fabbing some sort of swaybar. We'll see. Except for the water pump belt going in the middle of the night and losing 20 laps to replace, we were consistent and churned away enough laps for 7th. And we all got mega seat time. :)

We will be back. It was awesome be able to try to go faster, put two off, and not have to come in for a penalty. THANK YOU. And the racing was very clean. We got tagged by the Endurance Karting Miata in turn one for a small spin, just a racing incident, and that was really it. Those guys were fast and friendly, thanks Johan and team. Great driving all around, see you again in the future.

The pollen was amazing and horrible, but it couldn't dampen the great weekend. Congrats to the Ex-fed team--clean and super duper fast! And the Hendrick and Red Bull guys were really friendly and great to talk to.

Guest VKZ24

First off, congrats to Chris and the rest of his team on their win. I talked to most of them and they are great bunch of guys. They sure put a butt whooping on the rest of us! We were damn close to 3rd, but were happy with our 4th place finish. However close doesn’t count and we have no excuses or regrets.

This was a great event. John and his crew put on a good show for sure. I finally met John in person and I’d have to say he comes across at least 100% better than he does via the internet. He’s actually a really nice guy! I do have one bone to pick you though John, I would like to hear you to say “Vincent was 100% right about the chicane, we didn’t ever need itâ€. FYI, for those who weren’t there, I only saw ONE car (could have been others I didn’t see) miss the turn in for T1, which was the USS Enterprise at night. I would say I hate to say I told you so, but actually I love to say that!

Also thank you guys for the Chump Car ‘off’ rule. It was nice to know you could off if necessary to avoid contact, or just because you had a brain fart and not have to worry about a penalty. I dropped a wheel quite a few times during the night just because it was so damn dark out there. Oh yeah, the headlight aiming rules. I’d have to say there were more cars than not that had their lights aimed too high.