Official Place to Pin Gingerman Photos and Video

Apparently, I'm not allowed inlining gifs:

www.tourdegiro.com/personal/slimerGingerman.gif

Vertical axis is the car's speed.

Horizontal axis is the car's distance from the start of the lap.

Phil said he was full throttle on all the straights, but you can see that full throttle rapidly started meaning different things.  Impressively, his 3rd, 4th, and 5th laps were nearly equal in speed even though he was losing power each lap.

Unfortunately, the data officer on our team was in the car. We might have been able to see what was happening had we been watching and knew what we were looking for.  Then again, had we just opened the f'n hood and looked at the rad we would have also seen what was going on.  Lessons learned.

• Like 1

4CGM second stint from Sunday.  Good racing with Dirty 30+ Miaro, watch Go Fast Don't Screw Up Car 867 spin at the beginning of the clip.  Check the description to jump to different highlights.  

the white meotter has more speed in the driving...I think he was feeling the pressure from you too, lol

4CGM second stint from Sunday.  Good racing with Dirty 30+ Miaro, watch Go Fast Don't Screw Up Car 867 spin at the beginning of the clip.  Check the description to jump to different highlights.  

That was my one mistake/spin of the weekend, just got in a little high on the entry into 5a and dropped a rear tire off by still trying to carry my normal speed through the corner.  "Momentary loss of talet" moment for me.  It was great racing with you, and whoever was running the last stint on Saturday.  Had some good, clean, hard racing with you guys!

btw, some good driving there...remind me of me somewhat.

I also don't do the wheel shuffle and your steering was measured and smooth...you hit your marks consistently...and when coming up on slower traffic, you were patient and waited for them to screw up.

didn't overslow on entry, and used the whole track.

do you have experience outside of chumpcar?

That was my one mistake/spin of the weekend, just got in a little high on the entry into 5a and dropped a rear tire off by still trying to carry my normal speed through the corner.  "Momentary loss of talet" moment for me.  It was great racing with you, and whoever was running the last stint on Saturday.  Had some good, clean, hard racing with you guys!

Hey Joel, yeah the rest of your driving was great, and your off was textbook also, you kept it controlled and didn't come back across the track or anything dangerous, so nice work.  Nice racing with you. 

btw, some good driving there...remind me of me somewhat.

I also don't do the wheel shuffle and your steering was measured and smooth...you hit your marks consistently...and when coming up on slower traffic, you were patient and waited for them to screw up.

didn't overslow on entry, and used the whole track.

do you have experience outside of chumpcar?

Matt, thanks for the compliments.  This was my 3rd chumpcar event, I have a lot of hours on iRacing the past 6 months which I think helps with the patience with slower traffic.  I may be a little overly cautious sometimes which has cost me a few positions in the past when I get behind a slower car then get a train run on me by the cars behind, but better safe than mess up mine and someone else's day. The smooth steering was hammered into me by the team owner Mike (Skierman64) during an HPDE event in the chumpcar before our first radce, as I used to be a little quick on turn in.  My experience outside of chump is from Skip Barber, I did the defensive driving school in 2002, then the racing school and advanced racing school in Daytona in 2005.  Took a while to get back into racing until I found chump which made it affordable.... Thanks ChumpCar!

• Like 2

You have to prove to YouTube that you have permission to use the music. I'm guessing you did not acquire rights for Brain Damage. There's probably some trick to editing the audio so that YouTube can't auto detect it...

There's definitely marbles on 10.

I just posted in the Daytona thread about hand position on the steering wheel. Watching the above video continues to boggle my mind that so many guys don't know how important hand position is and just how much info you gather through the steering wheel. I also notice that both time you watch the other cars drive off the track and just about follow them off because you're distracted.

I had a brand new driver at Watkins Glen and he told me he did two 'race schools' out in Alberta and the instructors told him how good he was. We videoed the Friday test session and he asked me to critique it and the very first thing I said was that you can't drive around with one hand on the wheel and one hand on the shifter and be racing and that no instructor in the world would let someone drive like that. I literally had to yell at him before he did the two races to keep two hands on the wheel.

Everyone should google Ross Bentley and read his books.

Richard, are you taking about my video?  My driving is fair at best for sure, but I am not sure where you are talking about me taking my hands off the wheel other than to shift (there was one extended shift period because we came up on a vehicle on the side the guy in front slowed way down) or point.  I do not like my hand positions and will need to work on that, but they were both there as far as I can see.

Also, I did not see tha I almost went off the track due to distraction.  The first time another car went off, we were coming into the turn together and I was trying to let them pass so I was focused on them.  As for the Miata, I saw it go off but kept the line, tracking the car in front of me.

:unsure:

• Technical Advisory Committee

Watching the above video continues to boggle my mind that so many guys don't know how important hand position is and just how much info you gather through the steering wheel.

I set my cars up so that I can steer with my knee if I need to shift while giving a point by, works great. 

Scott, I am referring to your video and I am in no way being critical, just pointing out what I see. I have no idea how many races you've done or what kind of driving instruction you've received but your hand position can be improved to give you much more control of the car and a better feel for what you're doing. Your left hand is constantly in the 12 o'clock position and slides down to meet your right hand at 3-4 o'clock when turning right thus limiting your ability to correct the car if something goes wrong. You were caught out by the sudden appearance of a car being hooked up to the tow truck and had to jerk the wheel to the left to avoid ramming a car in front of you (this is more about looking down the road). Several times you make sudden jerking movements to turn the car to the apex instead of using steady, fluid movements. Your hands should be at 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 depending on how your like to drive and occasionly they can move in unison around the wheel to navigate tighter corners. Some guys like to cross their wrists when going around tight corners and some guys like to move their hands on the wheel to get around them and both are fine (also depends on the turning radius of the car and size of the steering wheel). Smooth steering input will gain you siginifcant time and give you far more control and lots of feedback through the wheel.

Actually Scott, looking over the data from the wifilapper, I think it may have been mikes off that caused the rad damage.  after his off, the acceleration started to fall of the car ever so slightly driver after driver.  Then when the engine finally popped it plummeted.

Scott, I am referring to your video and I am in no way being critical, just pointing out what I see. I have no idea how many races you've done or what kind of driving instruction you've received but your hand position can be improved to give you much more control of the car and a better feel for what you're doing. Your left hand is constantly in the 12 o'clock position and slides down to meet your right hand at 3-4 o'clock when turning right thus limiting your ability to correct the car if something goes wrong. You were caught out by the sudden appearance of a car being hooked up to the tow truck and had to jerk the wheel to the left to avoid ramming a car in front of you (this is more about looking down the road). Several times you make sudden jerking movements to turn the car to the apex instead of using steady, fluid movements. Your hands should be at 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 depending on how your like to drive and occasionly they can move in unison around the wheel to navigate tighter corners. Some guys like to cross their wrists when going around tight corners and some guys like to move their hands on the wheel to get around them and both are fine (also depends on the turning radius of the car and size of the steering wheel). Smooth steering input will gain you siginifcant time and give you far more control and lots of feedback through the wheel.

Good points.  Wanna ride shotgun next time?   :)

Good points.  Wanna ride shotgun next time?   :)

About 4 hours ago, I was in the middle of typing exactly what Richard said when my teammates arrived to work on the car so I never hit Post.   <_<

Basically, at 9 and 3, you have the most control, the most arm strength and the biggest range of motion.  When your hands are at 11 and 1, you only get about 90° of wheel angle before your arms get twisted.  At 9 and 3, you get at least 180° before your arms cross.  The muscles are also stronger it that position allowing you to react quicker and with more precision.

I'm not criticizing, but rather trying to make you even better.  I'm a driving instructor at Ford, so it's my job to watch these things and make people better an safer.  

Scott, I'll ride along any time and do my best to help. I don't profess to be the best driver or fastest and often times I've found that the very best teachers are not the ones that are the quickest in the car. If you can gain a tenth of a second per corner you'll all of a sudden find yourself 1-2 seconds quicker per lap and your confidence level will rise accordingly. Some guys are very fast but are achieving those times at the cost of the tires and car. Watch in car video of Bill Auberlen and see how absolutely calm he is behind the wheel and how easily he appears to be quick.