Charlotte photo and video thread

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you Pintodave, you guys seem to be doing the same with your town car.   Its going to take forever (1300 min) to download the video gt30 requested, this will be front fender cam of the entire r

i don't feel that deliberate contact is acceptable in this series regardless of race length.  certainly sprint racing tends to be physically closer than enduros and some minor contact is inevitable bu

I watched the above video a couple of times just to see if the driver of Max made some blatant blocks or could be held responsible and I can't. Max left more than enough room in T1 for the orange Miata only to get clocked in the rear quarter and as if that wasn't enough the Miata unnecessarily rammed him from behind spinning him and that led to the second Miata making more contact. I certainly hope the driver was penalized.

• Like 1

I watched the above video a couple of times just to see if the driver of Max made some blatant blocks or could be held responsible and I can't. Max left more than enough room in T1 for the orange Miata only to get clocked in the rear quarter and as if that wasn't enough the Miata unnecessarily rammed him from behind spinning him and that led to the second Miata making more contact. I certainly hope the driver was penalized.

yet you will have people on here say this was just a "racing incident" and no big deal

that is really worrisome to me, cause I don't know many people who want to dump thousands of dollars and thousands of man hours into a car just to get it punted off track

this was a flagrant example of horrible driving, and it should not be condoned by anyone on here.

Found this vid of sprint #1 searching through youtube. 

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1QB83iLOY8

I saw the driving get increasingly aggressive as the day went on.  #1 was pretty relaxed, but nobody knew the course and we didn't do double file starts.

My favorite part is right about 3:00.  Classy :huh:

I need to get the vid from our camera uploaded.

Videos people, videos. Did that side cam work Infiniti ?

There was some success, I will work on posting some but as we were hammering on the gt30 it seems chump staff visited the infiniti pit donning a rule book, there will be no more creative external camera angles even with proper camera mount and tether.

yet you will have people on here say this was just a "racing incident" and no big deal

that is really worrisome to me, cause I don't know many people who want to dump thousands of dollars and thousands of man hours into a car just to get it punted off track

this was a flagrant example of horrible driving, and it should not be condoned by anyone on here.

Definitely agree that things like that should be looked at - but in all fairness it would be nice to hear from the offending driver/team. It isn't so much that it happened, it is more of a "does it happen all the time" thing... How often one has a "racing incident" is an indication on whether or not there is a bigger issue at hand. As much as you may not like the explanation and as much as a bone-headed move as that was, poop does and will continue to happen.

Clearly it wasn't intentional - he cooked it getting into the corner and unfortunately took another car along with him judging by the fact he went off course in an uncontrolled manner as well. No more, no less. Very unprofessional indeed. Did you happen to watch the Grand Am race a few weeks ago? Paid drivers doing unprofessional poop. Cup race Sunday? More of it (a lot actually).

Again, not in any way making excuses or saying its ok, but the bigger picture of that team & driver's history should be reviewed before crucifying him in the Courts of the Chump forum...

• Like 1
Guest SNAKEATR

I would love to see some video of the car that struck me from behind just before I hit the wall on the last sprint. I'm not sure, but I've been told it was #68, the same car that bumped me during the 2nd sprint for our class as well. The driver came and apologized for the hit after that race. Nothing after the one that put our car into the wall. The car owner came over to us just as we were leaving the track and said his driver was claiming that I ran into him. If anyone has video, I'd love to see it for myself.

I got hit three times from behind by the blue car that lost its wheel in heat 1.  He was slightly faster than me (not much) and i didn't just move over so I got the chrome horn.  It pissed me off and reminded me why i liked endurance racing and not sprint racing---and I have very likely done my last sprint race.  And I admit to smiling when I saw that car jacked up on its wheel from the stud failure.  Karma is a complain. 

Definitely agree that things like that should be looked at - but in all fairness it would be nice to hear from the offending driver/team. It isn't so much that it happened, it is more of a "does it happen all the time" thing... How often one has a "racing incident" is an indication on whether or not there is a bigger issue at hand. As much as you may not like the explanation and as much as a bone-headed move as that was, poop does and will continue to happen.

Clearly it wasn't intentional - he cooked it getting into the corner and unfortunately took another car along with him judging by the fact he went off course in an uncontrolled manner as well. No more, no less. Very unprofessional indeed. Did you happen to watch the Grand Am race a few weeks ago? Paid drivers doing unprofessional poop. Cup race Sunday? More of it (a lot actually).

Again, not in any way making excuses or saying its ok, but the bigger picture of that team & driver's history should be reviewed before crucifying him in the Courts of the Chump forum...

Do you even know who the offending driver is?  Do you have video from behind the incident?

You say that it "clearly wasn't intentional"....which imply's that you are pretty sure of yourself.  Any evidence to back that up?

He hit the camera car 3 times.

I'm curious how "over cooking" a corner allows you hit the camera car 3 times.

From what I saw of the video it was most likely red mist/impatience.  IF that is the case, then it clearly WAS intentional.

At some point people we need to start taking responsibility for our actions.

Lets hear from the driver.

Is he a complete noob with no experience?

Speak up

I got hit three times from behind by the blue car that lost its wheel in heat 1.  He was slightly faster than me (not much) and i didn't just over over so I got the chrome horn.  It pissed me off and reminded me why i liked endurance racing and not sprint racing---and I have very likely done my last sprint race.  And I admit to smiling when I saw that jack jacked up on its wheel from the stud failure.  Karma is a complain. 

it clearly wasn't intentional and this sort of thing happens all the time....so just get over it  

:huh:

/sarcasm/  off

In this case, it does appear that karma worked.  I just hope that driver didn't end somebody else's day early

In sprint races it probably is perfectly acceptable to deliver the chrome horn.  But we build our cars for endurance racing so the damage is not appreciated.  It's ok, we should have known going in that the sprints would be a little different (read: aggressive) than the enduro.  Clearly some cars were expecting to mix it up physically while others not so much.  That all changes with sprint races being separated in the future. 

In sprint races it probably is perfectly acceptable to deliver the chrome horn.  But we build our cars for endurance racing so the damage is not appreciated.  It's ok, we should have known going in that the sprints would be a little different (read: aggressive) than the enduro.  Clearly some cars were expecting to mix it up physically while others not so much.  That all changes with sprint races being separated in the future. 

it is not acceptable in sprint races anymore than endurance racing. 

if a driver cannot get around you in turn 1, then he needs to wait until he can...turn 2 or 3 or 4, etc.

If a driver is SOOOOO overwhelmed by all the "racing action" that he cant focus or loses his mind completely, then he needs to pull off the track before he injures somebody else.

edit...

Jer, I think you misunderstood my last post...I was referring to pintodave and others on here who are making excuse after excuse for the driver in that incident (sore shoulders, etc)

Whoever was in that Miata was doing it wrong and was a danger to everyone around him.

Same goes for the guy who hit you 3 times (I love how someone can hit you 3 times and people will say it "wasn't intentional").  He was a danger to everyone around him and clearly in need of some formal instruction and a good talking to about how to share the track with others.

Do you even know who the offending driver is?  Do you have video from behind the incident?

You say that it "clearly wasn't intentional"....which imply's that you are pretty sure of yourself.  Any evidence to back that up?

He hit the camera car 3 times.

I'm curious how "over cooking" a corner allows you hit the camera car 3 times.

From what I saw of the video it was most likely red mist/impatience.  IF that is the case, then it clearly WAS intentional.

At some point people we need to start taking responsibility for our actions.

Lets hear from the driver.

Is he a complete noob with no experience?

Speak up

Red mist? It was the start of the race. And he probably was a noob or in wayyyy over his head at that particular moment in time and still had the LF or both fronts still locked up tighter than a frogs donkey (or tighter than his own) as he was bouncing off of cars...

And I would be interested to hear from his perspective. Maybe you are right and he is a complete penis and wants to do nothing but wreck people and endanger their lives. But I doubt it.

When I mention sore shoulders it is in no way condoning bad driving nor is saying fatigue was a factor, it was a attempt to portray the level of physical and mental exertion, there was no time for calculated mischief nor long drawn out race craft, waiting for a perfect pass meant loosing your position to someone just slightly more assertive and falling even farther back to the podium contenders, what this situation did uncover was we are all on different planes of skill, those with more experience made mistakes witch only got amplified to the flat out bone head stuff with less.

Saying that, 3/4 of our team cut our teeth on dirt, distribution of the chrome horn was often and forceful, we are plenty accustomed to 25 minutes of all out pushing and testosterone fueled aggression, we can tell the difference between bone head and "I want to kill"

No one wanted to kill.

edit...

Jer, I think you misunderstood my last post...I was referring to pintodave and others on here who are making excuse after excuse for the driver in that incident (sore shoulders, etc)

Whoever was in that Miata was doing it wrong and was a danger to everyone around him.

I AGREE with you Matt. Where am I making "excuses"? I just am curious of what actually happened rather than draw conclusions and villify someone repeatedly.

Accusing someone of being on suicide run and intentionally wrecking people is just as irresponsible as that persons driving IMHO. If the other driver says "hey too bad he was in my way," ok, then tar and feather him lol.

• Like 1

I think some of the bumping has to do with the nature of the track. Tough track to have our first sprint race on and some of the overaggressive stuff seemed to be on starts/restarts. Maybe the tightest track Chump will ever run on (?). Even though we got drilled in the back on a start, I thought the racing was pretty clean for having 23 cars in C1/C2 class.

Our team had a lot of fun, didnt hit anyone, raced clean, and was happy with our first podium finish in C2. Proud of my young drivers with limited seat time. 

John, Mike and staff did a great job turning the CMS mistake into a fun day of racing and working out a great deal for the Chumps in Nov. 

Red mist? It was the start of the race. And he probably was a noob or in wayyyy over his head at that particular moment in time and still had the LF or both fronts still locked up tighter than a frogs donkey (or tighter than his own) as he was bouncing off of cars...

And I would be interested to hear from his perspective. Maybe you are right and he is a complete penis and wants to do nothing but wreck people and endanger their lives. But I doubt it.

I'm sure there is video out there of the incident from behind...or even from the offenders car

It sounds like you have no idea on who the driver was, or what his experience is, or even what he was thinking.

Hence my questioning you about the statement that "it clearly wasn't intentional"

and if his front brakes were locked up tighter than a frogs donkey, he would have hit the camera car once.  In the video, the camera car is hit the first time, then they traverse quite a bit of track and begin turning into the corner, where he is hit a second time and with MORE force.

That is not indicative of a car with it's brakes locked up tighter than a frogs donkey.

That is indicative of a driver who is red misting or impatient/dangerous and he hits the camera car the first time....then apparently still isn't happy with what or where the camera car is (you know...in front of him )  and decides to smack the camera car right off the track as the turn into the corner.

this is a penis move and it is dangerous

and like some others on here, I would have been pissed off...especially after the SECOND hit

Pinto dave, I'm curious what your experience is in road racing?

i don't feel that deliberate contact is acceptable in this series regardless of race length.  certainly sprint racing tends to be physically closer than enduros and some minor contact is inevitable but "delivering the chrome horn" just because you can't pass someone cleanly is not at all cool.  this isn't the pro ranks, no one wants to be knocked out of a race and no one wants to be fixing body damage (or worse) after each heat.  i raced spec e30 for three years with nasa (several times at charlotte) and despite having the largest and most fiercely fought class we wouldn't tolerate such behavior.  sure bump drafting was common (and fun!) but punting someone out of the way just because they didn't make it easy for you to pass them is extremely uncool.  it's racing, they're not supposed to make it easy.  you want the pass?  earn it cleanly.

• Like 3

Pinto dave, I'm curious what your experience is in road racing?

Little to none. No formal driver training.

Would it make me an "expert" if I said I had formal driver training? And to top it off, the Holiday Inn Express was booked.

• Like 2