Charlotte photo and video thread

i don't feel that deliberate contact is acceptable in this series regardless of race length.  certainly sprint racing tends to be physically closer than enduros and some minor contact is inevitable but "delivering the chrome horn" just because you can't pass someone cleanly is not at all cool.  this isn't the pro ranks, no one wants to be knocked out of a race and no one wants to be fixing body damage (or worse) after each heat.  i raced spec e30 for three years with nasa (several times at charlotte) and despite having the largest and most fiercely fought class we wouldn't tolerate such behavior.  sure bump drafting was common (and fun!) but punting someone out of the way just because they didn't make it easy for you to pass them is extremely uncool.  it's racing, they're not supposed to make it easy.  you want the pass?  earn it cleanly.

did the driver come over after the race and apologize or give any explanation for his stupidity? (i.e. Brake line failure or other?)

I think this is why there is a big difference of opinion on this video...the backgrounds and experience and mindset of both sides are completely different.

Pintodave has little experience, and infiniti comes from circle track.

Infiniti posts a video of his "coolest/calmest driver" driving like a squirrel on crack.  Pintodave responds to video that it is awesome.

However, both you and I come from two big, recognized racing organizations, where the focus is on racing and there is required seat time instruction before you can even compete.

Technique and proper driving is stressed heavily with the SCCA and NASA, and idiots on track are not tolerated. 

Of course, like any racing, there are mistakes and racing incidents. 

However, from what I see in that video, this was neither.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you Pintodave, you guys seem to be doing the same with your town car.   Its going to take forever (1300 min) to download the video gt30 requested, this will be front fender cam of the entire r

i don't feel that deliberate contact is acceptable in this series regardless of race length.  certainly sprint racing tends to be physically closer than enduros and some minor contact is inevitable bu

Someone that thinks contact is okay in motorsport has either spent far too much time on the dirt or watching oval/NASCAR and not enough time watching REAL racing. 

In real road racing, you get penalized for contact in 99% of cases.

• Like 2

Infiniti posts a video of his "coolest/calmest driver" driving like a squirrel on crack.  Pintodave responds to video that it is awesome.

However, both you and I come from two big, recognized racing organizations, where the focus is on racing and there is required seat time instruction before you can even compete.

Technique and proper driving is stressed heavily with the SCCA and NASA, and idiots on track are not tolerated. 

Of course, like any racing, there are mistakes and racing incidents. 

However, from what I see in that video, this was neither.

Oh geez, it has come down to "qualifications". Matt I'm pretty sure the only difference in our opinion is that you seem bent on showing why it was intentional, and I am best on saying not so fast I'd like to hear both sides of the story. If you feel that being a part of the SCCA makes you more right, then that's cool. I know what is right or wrong in a race car, mowing people over isn't good. Neither is jumping to conclusions.

And yes, that video is AWESOME.

Want to know why?

It is a group of friends with a little road racing experience (and a little from other forms of racing) who built a car that should not be a "race car" and are racing it on a track configuration that is suited for a Miata at best and they are driving their asses off and having a blast doing it. That's why I'm here and not the SCCA. Are you sure this Chump stuff is suited to your tastes?

• Like 1

Thank you Pintodave, you guys seem to be doing the same with your town car.

Its going to take forever (1300 min) to download the video gt30 requested, this will be front fender cam of the entire race from sprint race #1 c3-4 , it takes me several min to figure out things, find the line and such, Im sure there will be judgments both good and bad as fatigue works I get sloppy(er) and barely nip the taxi looking barge, as for our crackhead squirrel (everyone's allowed a moment aren't they?) I have video from later in the evening being passed by, chasing down and finally wearing out James in his bimmerworld car, sorry I have no footage of the after race smiles, atta boys and handshakes coming from them for that run.

The sprints were unique, some actions are undefinable and unexplainable without everyone's input, possibly  even un-defendable with their input, can we please keep this in perspective, this is amateur racing speckled with professionals and for the most part the pros I have chatted afterward think that us hacks do a decent job of things.

http://youtu.be/_2RYdTLpuwY

• Like 4

final sprint race, this time i was driving max (i only had three renters so i took the last one).  fortunately the damage from the previous race wasn't sufficient to slow the car down very much.  due to a snafu i (and simon) started way behind the pack and had to catch up during the first couple of laps.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih7fuxd9L1Q

• Like 1

If this is sincere it was a well driven ,winning rocket-ship of questionable legality i.e. engine displacement although there was a whisper somewhere they were utilizing some sort of legal loophole, I personally have no idea either way.

An E36 325i/S is questionable but I have now seen a true 500 dollar one on CL locally. So I will let it go. However a late model(based on side markers it is a 97-99) 328iS for 500 dollars? I seriously doubt it. I assume an LSD was installed as well which was NEVER stock or available from the factory on a 328iS. Plus the brakes from the photo I saw sure do fill up 17" wheels pretty well...

From what I've heard, It was an AIV'd 328is.  It was definitely an OBDII car with large front brakes (don't think they were M though, 330 maybe?) and vented rears.  Strut caps were stock (didn't check the lollypops).  Apparently, it doesn't matter when bringing a 96+ 328, it doesn't have to abide by the 92-95 E36 325 rules.  So say they got AIV down to $600.  They now get to play by the same rules as everyone else (ie 2x on brakes, etc) so they're legal. I dunno what they got, but if they were docked 10 laps, judging by how fast that car was, I have no doubt they could close that gap and then some.  To me, that's a loophole you could drive a chumptruck through.

• Like 1

Someone that thinks contact is okay in motorsport has either spent far too much time on the dirt or watching oval/NASCAR and not enough time watching REAL racing. 

^ this

final sprint race, this time i was driving max (i only had three renters so i took the last one).  fortunately the damage from the previous race wasn't sufficient to slow the car down very much.  due to a snafu i (and simon) started way behind the pack and had to catch up during the first couple of laps.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih7fuxd9L1Q

thx for the vid

track looks like a lot of fun...equalizing the big hp somewhat of some cars, and letting the little guy with handling catch up a little

Guest braddc

I just love folks like this. What makes this even more appreciable is the fact that the team that won all 4 C1 sprints are all dirt track racers with very little "real road racing" experience to speak of. I highly doubt some of these REAL racers could reciprocate.

• Like 2

Did the same person hit you twice?

And this goes back to the patience thing. I have said it before and usually am told "It's not like that in the races I am in" yet every thread has more than one video of someone just straight up dive bombing someone. If that is the same car hitting you twice I would be fuming.

*edit*

3 times...

Not to lay blame, but I'm thinking there's some possible culpability on the part of the camera car as well. I'm guessing the orange #73 Miata is the car that got the C/C the first two times- once going through the first corner, the second time going into the second corner. From what I can determine, the C/C got punted the third time by someone who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Notice at the end of the video that the #73 car is on the binders hard and almost stopped behind the car that hit  the camera car the final time. If you notice, the video shows the C/C pulling ahead of the #73 car, but it also looks like the C/C may have pinched the Miata down going into the first corner and didn't leave him any room. Perhaps they were in the C/C's blind spot and the driver of the C/C was under the impression that they had made a clean pass. A view from the right mirror would be helpful, but since we don't get that view in the video one cannot make a determination - we can only assume that the Miata MIGHT be inside the C/C on the entry to the second turn. The C/C may have pinched the Miata down entering the second turn and may not have realized they were there. A possibly new and/or inexperienced driver would have freaked out, panicked and locked the brakes when they realized they had no place to go but into the C/C. After the hit the C/C was fair game for whoever happened to be behind the Miata swerving to avoid the incident. Happens a lot in short track racing. Appears to have happened here as well.

Just sayin' -   :rolleyes:

Not to lay blame, but I'm thinking there's some possible culpability on the part of the camera car as well. I'm guessing the orange #73 Miata is the car that got the C/C the first two times- once going through the first corner, the second time going into the second corner. From what I can determine, the C/C got punted the third time by someone who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Notice at the end of the video that the #73 car is on the binders hard and almost stopped behind the car that hit  the camera car the final time. If you notice, the video shows the C/C pulling ahead of the #73 car, but it also looks like the C/C may have pinched the Miata down going into the first corner and didn't leave him any room. Perhaps they were in the C/C's blind spot and the driver of the C/C was under the impression that they had made a clean pass. A view from the right mirror would be helpful, but since we don't get that view in the video one cannot make a determination - we can only assume that the Miata MIGHT be inside the C/C on the entry to the second turn. The C/C may have pinched the Miata down entering the second turn and may not have realized they were there. A possibly new and/or inexperienced driver would have freaked out, panicked and locked the brakes when they realized they had no place to go but into the C/C. After the hit the C/C was fair game for whoever happened to be behind the Miata swerving to avoid the incident. Happens a lot in short track racing. Appears to have happened here as well.

Just sayin' -   :rolleyes:

gee zus,

are you serious?

the camera car left PLENTY of room on the inside of the track.  I could have driven a peterbilt through there.  Look at how much room is on the inside when the first hit comes.

sheesh

I'm really beginning to think that chumpcar may not be for me.  I'm going to have to give it some more thought after this thread.

You guys have really opened my eyes.

I just love folks like this. What makes this even more appreciable is the fact that the team that won all 4 C1 sprints are all dirt track racers with very little "real road racing" experience to speak of. I highly doubt some of these REAL racers could reciprocate.

and this motor under the hood

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wH-J1HXey_c/UccWpr4fktI/AAAAAAAAk-I/8aiwvHN9Nf0/s800/IMG_20130623_023417.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-an9SqmkynY0/UccWwi7uBCI/AAAAAAAAk-U/fxli3LzOZZ0/s800/IMG_20130623_023423.jpg

• Like 1